Leaky Window Seal - Driver's Door - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #1
cybirdy
CMF Junior Member
2013 Malibu 2LT
Taupe Gray

Gallery: 0
Default Leaky Window Seal - Driver's Door

Had my Mali for 2 weeks now - love it. Only complaint has been excessive wind noise at highway speeds coming through the window seal on the driver's door - right up next to my ear. Also found when washing car with garden-hose pressure, that some water / moisture is leaking through. I'm mitigating temporarily by shoving a folded business card between the glass and seal to save my hearing (and sanity!).

Question is whether this would be something covered under warranty, being non-mechanical in nature? Hate the thought of spending all that $$ on a brand new vehicle and have this one little annoyance. Also, is my local dealer likely able to resolve, rather than taking back to the purchasing dealer (~60 miles away)? Haven't attempted to contact either yet on this issue.

TIA for any thoughts and opinions on this. Glad I found CMF as a resource!
cybirdy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
nutcrunch
CMF Veteran Member

Garage
Default Re: Leaky Window Seal - Driver's Door

Yes it should be covered under warranty. Take it back.

2013 Malibu ECO 1SA PCN pkg
White Diamond Tricoat
50/35 tint
nutcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Yes, covered under warranty, yes, you can take the vehicle to any GM dealer nationwide for warranty work, probably preferred to use the selling dealer but by no means a requirement.
Rodents is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 10:39 AM   #4
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Verified Chevy Representatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybirdy View Post
Had my Mali for 2 weeks now - love it. Only complaint has been excessive wind noise at highway speeds coming through the window seal on the driver's door - right up next to my ear. Also found when washing car with garden-hose pressure, that some water / moisture is leaking through. I'm mitigating temporarily by shoving a folded business card between the glass and seal to save my hearing (and sanity!).

Question is whether this would be something covered under warranty, being non-mechanical in nature? Hate the thought of spending all that $$ on a brand new vehicle and have this one little annoyance. Also, is my local dealer likely able to resolve, rather than taking back to the purchasing dealer (~60 miles away)? Haven't attempted to contact either yet on this issue.

TIA for any thoughts and opinions on this. Glad I found CMF as a resource!
The information you have been given by great CMF members is correct. The concerns you're experiencing should fall under the new vehicle Bumper to Bumper limited warranty. Please, let me know how things go when you take your Malibu into the dealership.

BTW, congratulations on the new vehicle!!!!

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

Available Monday-Friday

Chevrolet Customer Svc is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
cybirdy
CMF Junior Member
2013 Malibu 2LT
Taupe Gray

Quick update on this issue (c'mon, you know you've been waiting for it):

Finally had the car in for service, as I waited to get the window seal addressed in the same visit as the routine maint. Wasn't sure how this would be fixed as it seemed the rubber gasket / seal may have been damaged and might need replacing, but all they did was adjust the window in the track. Seems to have worked, as I have not been able to reproduce the telltale whistle and am enjoying a quiet cabin now.

Now my only issue is the noticeable "clunk" the window makes when first raising from a fully lowered position...
cybirdy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.