Modest Vibration/Shimmy at 15MPH - Page 6 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #51
Setnev
CMF Junior Member
2012 Malibu 1LT
Crystal Red

Gallery: 0
Default Re: Modest Vibration/Shimmy at 15MPH

So, I just got back from the dealer and they were not able to duplicate the issue with the vibration. This is only the first dealer I have actually had check out this problem specifically so I will monitor it more closely over the next few months to see if there is a certain way I can duplicate it all the time. Right now with daily driving, I seem to notice it infrequently, so when it becomes more persistent and I can for sure duplicate it, I will take it back in. On another note, my passenger side headlight had a blue haze in it when it was on, I noticed it about 3 months ago and never thought of it again until I was walking to my car and noticed it was significantly more noticable. The dealer ended up replacing the lamp assembly including the bulbs, so that is good to go. Now to find out exactly why my brakes are grinding at full stops.
Setnev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 07:42 AM   #52
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Verified Chevy Representatives

@Nick2010MalibuLTZ, please, feel free to try other dealerships since you’re unhappy with their diagnosis of your concern.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

Available Monday-Friday

Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #53
nick2010MalibuLTZ
CMF Junior Member
2010 Malibu LTZ
GOLD

Ok so I took the car back the other day, they replaced both front axle shafts, did the "motor/trans mount alignment" and wheel alignment. Shimmy is still there. Now they say I have to wait til after Christmas to bring the vehicle back so the "engineers" can be called in.

Very frustrated with this vehicle. Been a Chevy guy all my life and this just might be it.
nick2010MalibuLTZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 11:18 PM   #54
archery20
CMF Rookie Member
2012 Malibu 1LT
Blue

I have had my Malibu in multiple times for the shimmy. I have noticed it since day 1 off the lot when I bought it new. I know that it is the same issues spoke of here. I will say that as I put more miles on the car the less I feel it, but I still feel it. It has been worse when it was just me in the car, and has never been duplicated for the tech's. I am dealing with the clunking issues right now, so hopefully that is resolved this time. Now when I say more miles, I mean MORE miles. I bought the car on April 7th 2012, and now have close to 21,500 miles in 8 1/2 months. I drive 105 miles a day on the interstate to work. I notice the shimmy when it shifts from 1st to 2nd gear, whether from a stop or low speed acceleration. The worst is when you are rolling in traffic about 5-10mph, and slowly accell and it shifts 1-2. At times I thought the car was going to wobble into pieces. Like I said, I have not noticed it as much lately, but have altered my driving schedule to miss as much of rush hour as possible. I love the car otherwise, as I really bought it for better mpg. I average 30-31mpg with the long commute. I got 33.5 on my thanksgiving vacation where I did 750 miles for that average calculated. I will take the car back if the issue with the shimmy gets worse again. For the time being I am living with it.

archery20
archery20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #55
angeredsmile
CMF Rookie Member
2012 Malibu 1LT
Black Granite

Anyone have luck with this issue yet?
angeredsmile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #56
angeredsmile
CMF Rookie Member
2012 Malibu 1LT
Black Granite

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeredsmile View Post
So I am going to pursue legal action or the lemon law at this point. I still have not heard from GM after the lady I spoke with said someone will call within 24 hours. lol
So we pursued this and won finally as of 02/2013 and upgraded to a 2013 Equinox, so much better and not a single issue. We had issues the day we drove the Malibu off the lot!
angeredsmile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #57
Setnev
CMF Junior Member
2012 Malibu 1LT
Crystal Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeredsmile View Post
So we pursued this and won finally as of 02/2013 and upgraded to a 2013 Equinox, so much better and not a single issue. We had issues the day we drove the Malibu off the lot!
I'm going through this same thing now. The lawyer just took my case. Hopefully they can come to a resolution. What was the process that you went through and how long did it take? I'm curious to know how this is going to play out.
Setnev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #58
Whale
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu LTZ
Blue

I asked my dealership to investigate this service bulletin. They stated it is not covered under the warranty. I have an 09 w/ 92K.
They replaced the right side tie rod end and with the test drive could not duplicate the shimmy. I would have thought this issue would be a drive train coverage as that goes to 100K. Anyway strange that they develop a service bulletin that a customer would have to pay for. My concern is what will it damage down the road.
Whale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 08:05 PM   #59
canadian_bacon
CMF Junior Member

Gallery: 3

so if i don't get it fixed and if it's not bothering me, is it OK to drive as it is?
any concerns late down the road?
canadian_bacon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 08:01 PM   #60
jmurphy
CMF Rookie Member
2011 Malibu 2lt
Silver

I finally got my shimmy problem solved. I traded that piece of @#$% to something else. The shimmy wasn't fixed by new axles and actually got worse. Also, at 37,000 miles, a value started rattling. Crazy good GM quality. I will never be back in a GM car for as long as I live and will try my best to spread the word over the poor quality of their passenger cars. Being a Chevy guy all my life, and trying to buy American, this really hurts. GM, you suck. Have a nice life.

CMF Edit: Language was deleted.

Last edited by DrivenDaily; 05-15-2013 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Language
jmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.