Coolant leak - round 2 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #1
LindenBruce
CMF Rookie Member
2008 Malibu V6 3.5l
Tan

Gallery: 0
Default Coolant leak - round 2

Hello all,

Well, I'm back with another coolant leak on the OH8 Malibu with 3.5V6. This time it's the radiator. It appears to be leaking from the bottom passenger side of the tank where it crimps on to the aluminum core. It's dry above this point so I'm fairly positive it's not the hose. You can see the coolant in the purple circles.

I am looking at getting an A/C Delco radiator for just a hair over 200.00 but it's warranty is 12 months. However, the Spectra radiator is 130.00 with a 24 month warranty. And O-Reillys Murray is 190.00. So what do you guys think? A/C, Spectra, Murray? Or a different brand? I plan on doing the hoses while I'm there, it just makes sense. But, should I do the thermostat too while I'm there? The car is just a tad over 5 1/2 years old with less than 80,000 miles.

Also, circled in red, is the transmission coolant line. Do I need a special tool to disconnect this line? Thanks, "wet again" Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rad01.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	2647   Click image for larger version

Name:	rad02.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	2648  

Last edited by LindenBruce; 01-16-2013 at 04:10 PM.
LindenBruce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
Drunken Elvis
CMF Veteran Member
2006 Malibu LS 2.2 I4
Silver

Default Re: Coolant leak - round 2

I would check the price at Primechoiceautoparts.com. They have really good deals sometimes. A radiator is usually around $70 with free delivery. Give them a call.
Drunken Elvis is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenBruce View Post
But, should I do the thermostat too while I'm there? The car is just a tad over 5 1/2 years old with less than 80,000 miles.
I would. Read my PM.

Last edited by greenman; 01-16-2013 at 07:16 PM.
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
LindenBruce
CMF Rookie Member
2008 Malibu V6 3.5l
Tan

Well, I guess I will go with the O'Reilly's "Murray" branded radiator since it has a lifetime warranty and is priced in the middle. B
Old 01-21-2013, 07:10 PM   #5
LindenBruce
CMF Rookie Member
2008 Malibu V6 3.5l
Tan

Well, got the new radiator today and when I got her home and opened the box it was wrong. It had an extra heater hose connection on the driver's side tank. So it's going back for a refund. It also turned out to be a Vista-Pro and NOT a Murray. Called around and Autozone had a Spectra-Premium that appears to be correct, but it's 75 bucks more. I'm going to call the Chevy dealer and see what an A/C Delco goes for just for curiosity. Man, I'm glad I bought local on this thing. B
Old 01-22-2013, 05:56 AM   #6
repairman54
CMF Senior Member
2009 Malibu LS 2.4
Carbon Mist Met.

My choice for parts suppliers is Rock Auto.
Price is right and in most cases you get a selection of mfgr. and can choose among them with the price breakdown. Shipping is fast also.
The family "fleet" I maintain is 5 vehicles and RA has only goofed up once on me and that was a wrong trailer hitch for my 'bu . They paid the return shipping in that case as the site data was wrong.
Anything I need for repairs that are not having to be done yesterday RA is my primary supplier.
repairman54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #7
LindenBruce
CMF Rookie Member
2008 Malibu V6 3.5l
Tan

Yeah, I have bought stuff from RockAuto before and had good service as well. As it turns out, the first radiator was the "most" correct. As the second one was a mirror image of what I needed. It turns out that by going by year application I get the wrong radiator. But if I go one year earlier it's correct. I guess this car was at a break point in manufacturing and year models. Production is mid July of 2007.

Well, I got her all back together no sweat. It went back together better than I thought too. I had to remove the driver's side headlight assembly to make things easier. But she is good as new now. Bruce
Old 01-23-2013, 03:53 AM   #8
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

Sounds like your '08 is a Classic Gen6, not the Gen7. Got pics? If it's actually a Gen7 then they may have been using earlier model radiators until the new ones finally arrived or until the old stock was depleted enough.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 05:25 AM   #9
Drunken Elvis
CMF Veteran Member
2006 Malibu LS 2.2 I4
Silver

Primechoiceautoparts shows pictures of their radiators. I see there is a difference between the 07 to 08's and I always find it helpful to actually see the product. As long as it all works out in the end.
Drunken Elvis is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 07:08 AM   #10
repairman54
CMF Senior Member
2009 Malibu LS 2.4
Carbon Mist Met.

Anythings possible with a changeover build.
Had a Co. work truck, fleet build, that needed a gas cap. Parts listing was totally off, turns out when it was built they put a fill neck in from 6 yrs. prior. Was a E150 van '80's vintage. Gas attendant (NJ no self serve) never put cap back on so it became a arm full of caps in the parking lot to find the right one.
It must have been a clean the warehouse out build and if it fits it's good to go.
repairman54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.