Stalling, ESC and TC lights - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:03 AM   #1
Reallove
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu LS
tan

Gallery: 0
Default Stalling, ESC and TC lights

Hello I am an owner of a 2009 Malibu and I am having the worst time with stalling, shutting off and the esc and tc light coming on. It really stalls when its really cold outside and it acts like it wants to stop while driving. When I first noticed it I was turning and now it happens while I am driving. The ESC and TC lights came on so I took it to the dealer, they scanned it and the traction switch was bad. Because it was an intermittent problem they couldn't tell me anything else. I replaced the switch. Two weeks later doing same thing and now engine check light is on. Took to dealer traction switch code was gone. Scanned again and now map sensor code was coming up. Long story short I replaced the map sensor. The problem still exist and I am starting to hate my 2009 Chevy Malibu! Know one can tell me what the problem is and I am spending money on parts and its not fixing the problem. Please help... Frustrated Malibu owner.
Reallove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 02:33 PM   #2
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage
Default Re: New member

Moved from New Member Intro area ...

... since you're not really introducing yourself, your seeking input on a problem ...

Look up the issue using Search and see if unplugging and re-plugging the BCM will do the trick. (Read it first!)

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Drive to autozone, have them read the current codes for free, write them down & report back here with the exact code numbers-not an interpretation of them by an autozone store clerk.

There is no traction control switch trouble code per se. There are three MAP sensor trouble codes.

Also, if you know the other codes that it has popped lately, give me those.

Last edited by greenman; 01-15-2013 at 08:26 PM.
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 12:26 PM   #4
Reallove
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu LS
tan

Default Re: Stalling, ESC and TC lights

Thank you. My check engine light came on again and I went to autozone the code it is reading now is P0106. Prior to that it was P0107 and C0561. When the dealer got the code of C0561 they told me it was the code to change the traction switch. I did that it did not fix the problem. Then the code P0107 next and the dealer said it was the MAP sensor. Still having same issue. Now the code from autozone is P0106. I am confused and feel misled by the dealer because from what I was told there is not code for the traction switch.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #5
Reallove
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu LS
tan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
Moved from New Member Intro area ...

... since you're not really introducing yourself, your seeking input on a problem ...

Look up the issue using Search and see if unplugging and re-plugging the BCM will do the trick. (Read it first!)
Thank you and I apologize.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Firstly, these are likely unrelated issues.

C0561:
I know exactly why they reached the conclusion to change the traction control switch based on that C0561. There's a bulletin out that would lead you to that conclusion unfortunately that fix won't always be the right fix. Now, one problem you have is the car may still be reporting a C0561 code but you won't know it because the code readers they use at autozone can't read any codes that aren't OBD2 codes. But let's assume for now that was the right fix & that issue was corrected.

P0106 & P0107:
Since you've already swapped out the MAP sensor & are still getting a MAP sensor code your problem is with the wiring to the MAP sensor. A visual inspection may reveal the problem (usually easier said than done) or that circuit will need to be tested for a fault. That is generally not something most people can do themselves.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:33 AM   #7
Reallove
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu LS
tan

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
Firstly, these are likely unrelated issues.

C0561:
I know exactly why they reached the conclusion to change the traction control switch based on that C0561. There's a bulletin out that would lead you to that conclusion unfortunately that fix won't always be the right fix. Now, one problem you have is the car may still be reporting a C0561 code but you won't know it because the code readers they use at autozone can't read any codes that aren't OBD2 codes. But let's assume for now that was the right fix & that issue was corrected.

P0106 & P0107:
Since you've already swapped out the MAP sensor & are still getting a MAP sensor code your problem is with the wiring to the MAP sensor. A visual inspection may reveal the problem (usually easier said than done) or that circuit will need to be tested for a fault. That is generally not something most people can do themselves.

Ok I see... So now that we now know that may be the problem should I take it to a mechanic to get it visually inspected or should they scan it again? It sounds like an easy fix so what do you suggest I do at this moment because I want to sleep again not worrying about this issue. Thank you so much for your help. This has helped me a lot because I wasn't getting anywhere with my local dealer and they have been giving me the run around.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reallove View Post
Ok I see... So now that we now know that may be the problem should I take it to a mechanic to get it visually inspected or should they scan it again? It sounds like an easy fix so what do you suggest I do at this moment because I want to sleep again not worrying about this issue.
Finding a problem in a wire loom can be pretty time (read: money) intensive. Hopefully the problem is with the MAP sensor connector or close to it. If not, a dealer mechanic will probably want to swap out the harness which is not an inexpensive thing to do. A non-dealer shop will usually end up costing less but not always. Don't know what else to tell you.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
repairman54
CMF Senior Member
2009 Malibu LS 2.4
Carbon Mist Met.

Reseat the connectors.
If he had advanced scanning capabilites I'd bet on a communication error code coming up. That's what tipped me off on reseating my connectors to cure my ESC and TC warnings along with my brake lights coming on by themselves.
This CAN stuff is sensitive.
repairman54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #10
Reallove
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu LS
tan

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
Finding a problem in a wire loom can be pretty time (read: money) intensive. Hopefully the problem is with the MAP sensor connector or close to it. If not, a dealer mechanic will probably want to swap out the harness which is not an inexpensive thing to do. A non-dealer shop will usually end up costing less but not always. Don't know what else to tell you.
OK thank you. I will try again and see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.