Power tap option - Page 2 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center


ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 01:23 AM   #11
SeaRay245se
CMF Veteran Member
2013 Malibu 2LT
Crystal Red Tint
 
SeaRay245se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: suburb SW of cleveland ohio
Posts: 1,164
Gallery: 0
Garage
Default Re: Power tap option

I haven't tore into my malibu's electric yet but will soon and if it's anything like my sierra all the fuses were constant only place I could find a switched positive was up under the steering column for a remote for my amp.
__________________


2013 Ram 1500 Laramie
Crew Cab W/Leather Int.
4X4 True Blue Pearl Coat
2013 Chevy Malibu 2LT
Crystal Red Tint
Leather and Pioneer
2013 Chevy Malibu 3LT
Atlantis Blue Met.
2.0 Turbo and Pioneer
2007 Harley Ultra Classic
1986 Ford Mustang
460/c6 caged and tied
1986 24' Searay 245se
1968 14' Duoboat
SeaRay245se is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-21-2013, 04:15 AM   #12
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat
 
DrivenDaily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 9,988
Gallery: 6
Garage
Cool Re: Power tap option

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeti View Post
I am an electrical engineer, and those stuff wouldn't be a problem.
I read the electrical circuit graph of malibu, and it appears all fuses are directly connected to battery. Aren't they?
I'm not an engineer.

The schematics show quite a few fuses that are "Hot At All Times", but there are plenty more that aren't. Trust me, I've used the Add-A-Circuit on quite a few of my modifications and there are fuses with switched power in the fuse block.

Being an engineer you should be able to manage a simple test light. Get in the car, shut the doors (to turn off the lights and kill any RAP), then start testing. Start with key off, test all fuses, mark those with power. Move key to ACC and mark those that change, then move key to RUN and mark some more.

Takes time but you'll figure it out. If you can't, have someone help you.
__________________

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down


Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 07:24 AM   #13
geeti
CMF Junior Member
2012 Malibu 1lt
grey
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 31
Gallery: 0
Default Re: Power tap option

That's great! I thought all the fuse are constant.
If there're some switched fuse, the add-a-circuit is the best tool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
I'm not an engineer.

The schematics show quite a few fuses that are "Hot At All Times", but there are plenty more that aren't. Trust me, I've used the Add-A-Circuit on quite a few of my modifications and there are fuses with switched power in the fuse block.

Being an engineer you should be able to manage a simple test light. Get in the car, shut the doors (to turn off the lights and kill any RAP), then start testing. Start with key off, test all fuses, mark those with power. Move key to ACC and mark those that change, then move key to RUN and mark some more.

Takes time but you'll figure it out. If you can't, have someone help you.
geeti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #14
michaelj3
CMF Junior Member
2012 Malibu 1LT
Mocha Steel
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 66
Gallery: 0
Default Re: Power tap option

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeti View Post
That's great! I thought all the fuse are constant.
If there're some switched fuse, the add-a-circuit is the best tool!
Burried in this thread: http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/foru...ead.php?t=5929

There is a link to the full schematics of a 2008 Malibu here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4191695/08_c...u_complete.pdf

Pg 62 of that PDF has the switched fuses that are in the right side center console BCM.

Depending on the model you have, I would suggest using the fuse location for the Heated Seat/Roof fuse, since, it is possible you don't have heated seats or a power sunroof, and even if you do, you should be able to tap this fuse with an add a circuit, put a 10A fuse in for your power tap, and a 10A fuse for the roof/seats. This would put a 20A max load on the main circuit, which is probably OK. You Might want to be careful if you actually have heated seats, but this circuit appears to only be the power for the control portion of the roof or seats, not the actual current for the heater or roof motor; it also seems to protect the aux power outlet switch.

In general, be conscious of how much extra load you put on a tapped circuit, as the underlying wiring on the battery side of the fuse may not be properly sized for the extra current draw you add and you could create a fire hazard. Really, according to this simple table the underlying circuit should be 14guage wire if carrying 20A. Not sure what is used in our cars for power distribution, but you are likely safe tapping at the fuse panel with an add a circuit and 2 10A fuses in it. Then, use up to 15 feet of 18 gauge wire to run from there for power to your circuit.

Disclaimer: I only interpreted the tables and the schematics, I did not do an actual engineering assessment of your circuit plans, load, and whatever, so use the info above at your own risk.
__________________
Mike in Minnesota
----------------------------
Car (Years Owned)
85 Toyota Tercel (1988-1998)
93 Geo Prism (1993-1999)
96 Chevy Tahoe LT (1996-1997)
98 Chevy Tahoe LT (1998-2001)
99 Chevy Venture Ext (1999-2008)
99 Chevy Suburban LT (2001-2004)
04 Chevy Suburban LT (2004-2013)
08 Honda Odyssey (2008-2010)
10 Honda Odyssey (2010-Present)
12 Chevy Malibu (2012-Present)
13 Chevy Suburban LTZ (2013-Present)
michaelj3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #15
geeti
CMF Junior Member
2012 Malibu 1lt
grey
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 31
Gallery: 0
Default Re: Power tap option

Thanks a lot!
I didn't find those three switched fuse. Great discovery!
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelj3 View Post
Burried in this thread: http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/foru...ead.php?t=5929

There is a link to the full schematics of a 2008 Malibu here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4191695/08_c...u_complete.pdf

Pg 62 of that PDF has the switched fuses that are in the right side center console BCM.

Depending on the model you have, I would suggest using the fuse location for the Heated Seat/Roof fuse, since, it is possible you don't have heated seats or a power sunroof, and even if you do, you should be able to tap this fuse with an add a circuit, put a 10A fuse in for your power tap, and a 10A fuse for the roof/seats. This would put a 20A max load on the main circuit, which is probably OK. You Might want to be careful if you actually have heated seats, but this circuit appears to only be the power for the control portion of the roof or seats, not the actual current for the heater or roof motor; it also seems to protect the aux power outlet switch.

In general, be conscious of how much extra load you put on a tapped circuit, as the underlying wiring on the battery side of the fuse may not be properly sized for the extra current draw you add and you could create a fire hazard. Really, according to this simple table the underlying circuit should be 14guage wire if carrying 20A. Not sure what is used in our cars for power distribution, but you are likely safe tapping at the fuse panel with an add a circuit and 2 10A fuses in it. Then, use up to 15 feet of 18 gauge wire to run from there for power to your circuit.

Disclaimer: I only interpreted the tables and the schematics, I did not do an actual engineering assessment of your circuit plans, load, and whatever, so use the info above at your own risk.
geeti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPod Option 04-05 bu invwheelie Modifications (Generations 5 & 6) 4 09-15-2011 08:18 AM
No option but Malibu g8rh8r12 New Member Introduction 4 02-28-2009 06:34 PM
New engine option beach General Discussion (Generation 7) 12 12-06-2008 05:45 AM
New 2LT V6 wheel option, just released beach General Discussion (Generation 7) 7 11-10-2008 12:13 PM
Why is red paint an option? Malibooboo General Discussion (Generation 7) 14 07-02-2008 08:36 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:11 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
The Chevy Malibu Logo, Chevy Malibu Typeface and Chevy Logo are Trademark General Motors. We are in no way affiliated with General Motors, we are simply an enthusiasts' site.