Is it easy to replace the brake pads on your own? - Page 2 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:42 AM   #11
vachevy09
CMF Senior Member
2009 Malibu LTZ
Silver

Gallery: 0
Default Re: Is it easy to replace the brake pads on your own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I finished installing Centric Street Performance pads and their e-coated high carbon rotors. The parts looked very good and fit well, but I wasn't fond of the rotors being built in China although my last GM rotors were also made there.
I think all rotors are made in China now days.
vachevy09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2012, 05:53 AM   #12
vettenuts
CMF Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vachevy09 View Post
I think all rotors are made in China now days.
That is unfortunately truly disappointing.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 05:23 AM   #13
mos
CMF Junior Member
2008 Malibu 2LT
Black Granite

i am replacing mine now, freeing up the bolts is really the only hard part. not much room to get in there and when the bolt pops loose, you cut your hands, or my finger lol. anyhow, returning the piston to it's home position, with my home made socket, actually is a nice change. not having to use a clamp to push the piston back in. so assembly of the new set works like a charm.
mos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #14
IffyG
CMF Rookie Member

Does anyone have the torque specs for the caliper bracket bolts and slide pins for a 2009 LS?
IffyG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 05:58 PM   #15
Dilatory
CMF Senior Member
2011 Malibu LS
Gold Metallic

If a nut wont pop make sure you're using the correct sized 6 point socket and set it up so you can get a big conventional wrench on the end of your ratcheting wrench and use it as leverage. Or put on a decent pair of gloves and hold the socket on with one hand while winding up and smacking the end of the wrench with your palm. Or get a 3/8ths drive air ratchet wand with 150-200 lbs of torque and giggle your way through the entire process.. As for torque specs I know I should do it correctly but I've always just tightened it until I can't turn it anymore and then given it two good smacks with aforementioned palm technique and I've never had any issues, BUT, not exactly manufacturer recommendation.

Edit: Stolen from another thread 7th gen torque specs

Caliper Bolts - 26 ft - lb
Wheel Lug Nuts - 100 ft - lb

Last edited by Dilatory; 01-23-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Dilatory is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.