Any high mileage Gen 7 Bu's here? - Page 3 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:04 AM   #21
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage
Default Re: 2009 LTZ @ 182k Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodemus_MM View Post
Casper_, the weird humming may be a wheel hub assembly. For me it sounds kind of like a groaning, can (barely) be felt in the pedal and sound like it's emanating from low in the firewall. I've noticed that it's usually most prominent at 45-50 MPH. You can usually get an idea of which hub it is when going around a curve. The outside wheels take more weight due to the vehicle rolling opposite the direction of your turn. This additional weight makes the failing hub groan more noticeably. Conversely, turning so the failing hub is on the inside will usually make the noise completely stop as weight is removed from that side... depending on the severity of the roll. Sorry if you already knew this. Hopefully it's useful to someone.
Basically, louder turning left = right hub, louder turning right = left hub.

Out of warranty cost for GM part... about $500, but as much as I drive that lifetime warranty is worth the cost.

I guess I should also update my other info.

182k miles on a 2009 LTZ 3.6L bought new in August of '09. I've had the following non-consumable repairs done in that time:

-Two Front Passenger Wheel Hub Assembly (1 IW, 1 OOW)
-One Front Driver Wheel Hub Assembly (OOW)
-One bent wheel. More a problem with crap roads than manufacturing.

The Bluetooth/On-Star module isn't working at the moment, but I've not had time to check it. It may be something simple... dunno.

Other than that things are OK. It has the occasional squeak, I think I need to change the front strut mounts, and that crappy plastic wing-nut holding the spare tire down has broken.

A few of things to note:
- Headlights suck to change in this car. If you've not had to do so, be prepared. There are a couple of videos online about it, but I can make another if for some reason they're not available. It's not a simple done-in-ten-minutes job, but it's not impossible.

- Michelin HydroEdge are great on this car, but they're out of production. I'm breaking in a set of Michelin Defenders currently and so far I'm pleased with the performance. No snow or ice to speak of in the area yet. You'll probably have to order them since few stock the odd size (225/50/18 on the LTZ), but they're nice.

- Draw-Tite receiver hitches fit perfectly. You can't see the main cross-member of the assembly. Only the end of the receiver shows.

Three things this vehicle has taught me to check on my next purchase...
- Is it a common tire size? (Um, not on the LTZ)
- Are the headlights reasonable to install? (LOL)
- Does the passenger side wiper inhibit the driver's view? (On the '09 Malibu the passenger wiper stops in the middle of the driver's viewing area.)

Take care!
The issues with changing the headlights and the wiper stopping in front of me are ones that I'll be looking for if/when I ever get another car.

The extremely difficult headlight removal is just lame and can't be reasoned away. No excuse in the world can ever be made. Period. The "designers" were either sleeping that day or they chose the cutest design from a competition of elementary school children and went from there. Either way, they dropped the ball big time.

The wipers, though, are more a consequence of the extremely raked angle of the windshield and wanting to still use only 2 blades to wipe it. But I'll bet ya a case of peach ice cream (good stuff, not that cheap knock off brand) that changing the position of the lever that attaches to the passenger wiper arm would make it wipe not as far and it'd still wipe enough of the WS to work just fine. Make the passenger's lever a little longer and the same amount of movement from the driver's side would travel less on the passenger's side. Just proves it doesn't take a freakin' Master's Degree to figure things out.

The other issue with the tire size is thankfully only minor since the size is available, just not as ubiquitous as many others. A 235 or 245 with either a 50, 45, or 40 aspect ratio should fit just fine without rubbing and give you more choices.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #22
RIDE8
CMF Rookie Member

Gallery: 0
Default Re: Any high mileage Gen 7 Bu's here?

I just crossed the 100,000 mile mark on my 2lt 09. No major problems and I plan to run this car to 300,000 if it will make it.
RIDE8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 04:07 AM   #23
KenM10759
CMF Senior Member

I've never really noticed the wiper thing, at all. As far as I know, all cars have to do that to some degree. Big deal.

The headlight thing is an irritation. It reminds me of the 1977 Plymouth Fury station wagon I had. The 400cu in engine, when equipped with air conditioning, so filled the engine bay that you had to put the car on a lift and cut a hole in the passenger side inner fender to change the No.6 & No.8 spark plugs. Brilliiant deisgn! I've seen other examples over the years too, this one is only middle-of-the-road bad and not quite enough to earn a Shoot The Design Team award. Dope slap...yes, shoot no.

My wife's car is just under 100,000 miles as it sits today. No major or even notable minor repairs. I replaced the front brake pads (with OE replacements) at 75K, tires at 72K. Wiper blades twice now (super easy!), and it's just now got a little tick from the belt tensioner.

Question, I know I should RTFM myself, but do the 2.4L 4 cyl motors have a timing belt that needs changing?
'11 Triumph Tiger 800 ABS (weekend toy)
KenM10759 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #24
joethedjboy
CMF Rookie Member
2012 Malibu LS
Black Granite Meta

I got my 2012 LS last August, and I crossed 11,000 last week.

Running pretty well except I started to hear some clunks coming from the front, it does not happen all the time, only certain bumps on the road!

Old 01-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #25
010malibu
CMF Rookie Member
2010 Malibu LS
dark blue

i have a 2010 with 14k, theres some clunking in the front, sounds like maybe sway bar bushings, the headlight leaked moisture in the housing, and the seat belt light comes on from time to time even when the seat belts plugged in. they cant find the cause so ive learned to deal.

otherwise i seriously love this car!!!!!
010malibu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 05:06 AM   #26
jkatzman89
CMF Junior Member
2010 Malibu LS
Metallic Blue

I am a trip from the bank and the grocery store away from 90,000 miles on my 2010 Malibu with the 3.5L V6.
I've done tires once (factory hankooks lasted 64,000+), front brakes once (upgraded to a premium ceramic brake pad) a ton of synthetic oil changes and about half as many air filters. Actually, just did a battery for the first time last night, not the cars fault either, its been in the single digits here for days now. Its time was up.
jkatzman89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 06:15 AM   #27
Steve_AZ
CMF Junior Member
2011 Malibu 1LT
Silver IceMetallic

Turned over 40,000 this week on our '11 Malibu... I like the way it drives and handles, the steering column rattle/clunk is annoying but we've learned to live with it. Hopefully we can get 100k out of it without too much trouble, so far so good.
Steve_AZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #28
Oscar
CMF Junior Member
2011 Malibu LT
Black

48K on a 2011 1LT. So far it has new gears on the rack and pinion, new steering wheel shaft, new struts, new blower motor resistor, and new tires. I think the brake pads might be next.
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 06:09 AM   #29
Whale
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu LTZ
Blue

Close to 90K on our 09 LTZ, but just bought it April last year. So far I had the VVT exhaust cam soleniod replaced. No other issues.
Whale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 07:53 AM   #30
Gurudel
CMF Rookie Member

I have 110K on my 09 1LT.

So far:
- New engine at 65K (Cracked Block, replaced under warranty)
- New Rims, 3 cracked where the spoke meets the rim (factory steel rims, not covered)
- New wheel hub as the bearing ate itself at 80K (warranty)
- Failing catalytic converter.

Besides that, not too much.
Gurudel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.