Steering/front suspension noises/clunks thread. - Page 43 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:42 AM   #421
tregojoe
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu 2LT
grey

Gallery: 0
Default Re: Steering/front suspension noises/clunks thread.

Struts 4 times?? OEM parts each time? I ordered Monroe Quick struts from fleabay at $136.24 each (left# 172200, rt #172199) and will report back after I install them.
Since this seems to be a problem that few have been able to fix, I'm also wondering if maybe we need to think outside the box a little bit. For example, is it possible there are wire harnesses, cables, brake lines, etc that run from the engine compartment through enclosed spaces between inner and outer body panels that have come loose from their fasteners and are rattling around hidden from sight?
Maybe someone who builds these cars or a body shop guy can shed some light on that.
tregojoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #422
hjlint
CMF Junior Member
2010 Malibu LS
Labyrinth MAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tregojoe View Post
Struts 4 times?? OEM parts each time? I ordered Monroe Quick struts from fleabay at $136.24 each (left# 172200, rt #172199) and will report back after I install them.
Since this seems to be a problem that few have been able to fix, I'm also wondering if maybe we need to think outside the box a little bit. For example, is it possible there are wire harnesses, cables, brake lines, etc that run from the engine compartment through enclosed spaces between inner and outer body panels that have come loose from their fasteners and are rattling around hidden from sight?
Maybe someone who builds these cars or a body shop guy can shed some light on that.
Look into using MOOG Mounts also. After yoy secure the top of the unit to the body, see if the strut lines up to were you bolt the strut to the spindle.
Had to pull hard to get mine into place to bolt it. Only on the right side.
GM said this noise is normal on this body style and nothing they can or will do to help. This has been going on since 2008 to2012 models. I will not try another Malibu, maybe no more GM. Best of luck to you.

Last edited by DrivenDaily; 01-27-2013 at 03:24 AM. Reason: Fix quote tags
hjlint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 10:22 PM   #423
angeredsmile
CMF Rookie Member
2012 Malibu 1LT
Black Granite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tregojoe View Post
I really think it's in the steering column honestly but GM is replacing our vehicle thankfully though because this car has been a disaster from the first day we drove it off the lot. We are switching to a 2013 Equinox. I wonder how the process on a lemon works with your finance company? I have been wondering about that, anyone have an experience they would like to share?

We are in the middle of the lemon process right now so I will post our experience with the process once ours is completely finished.

Last edited by DrivenDaily; 01-27-2013 at 03:27 AM. Reason: 1 minute apart - use Edit, please!
angeredsmile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 06:28 AM   #424
tregojoe
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu 2LT
grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjlint View Post
Look into using MOOG Mounts also. After yoy secure the top of the unit to the body, see if the strut lines up to were you bolt the strut to the spindle.
Had to pull hard to get mine into place to bolt it. Only on the right side.
GM said this noise is normal on this body style and nothing they can or will do to help. This has been going on since 2008 to2012 models. I will not try another Malibu, maybe no more GM. Best of luck to you.
The quick struts supposedly come pre-assembled with mounts. I chose this option for 2 reasons: cheaper and less work for me. 3rd reason: I don't have a spring compressor.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #425
tregojoe
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu 2LT
grey

The Monroe Quick Struts I mentioned previously arrived and I installed them today. They appear very well built and of better quality than the stockers. They are a complete assembly including a new coil spring. No special tools required. If I were to do the job again tomorrow it would take an hour but today it took about 2 hours.
The easiest way to do it is to jack up one side of the car, do that side and then move to the other side. The only tricky part is removing the 18mm nut on the tie-rod end (ball joint) of the upper control arm link. There are 3, 18mm nuts on the strut and this would be the upper one. On our '09 with 62,600 miles there was rust/corrosion on each which required a wire brush, plenty of spray lube and a few shots of air to blow away debris. The 'bolt' portion of the ball joint has an 8mm hex end on it that can be held with an 8mm 6-point socket while you loosen the nut with an 18mm wrench. It's important to hold that stud while the nut is loosened to prevent damage to the tie rod end. The bottom 2 bolts need to be driven out as they are pressed in so be sure to leave the nuts on and tap on the nut so the bolt threads aren't damaged. You may have to smack them harder than you think- I use a brass hammer. Spray lube them prior to driving them back in. Also, protecting the CV boot with cardboard or something is a good idea in case Murphy shows up. Remove all the nuts/bolts on the bottom before removing the top 3 nuts under the hood while holding the strut to keep it from falling. The torque specs for everything are listed on the included instruction sheet.
With the new struts installed, everything torqued to spec and the tires set to 44# each we went for a ride. The car is smoother and much quieter. The only time we can hear a thump now is on a big bump. All the small, washboard, stutter bumps are nice and quiet. We drove all over (it was 5 below zero) and I kept expecting an upcoming series of icy bumps to rattle my teeth but was pleasantly surprised. We are very pleased with the results.
In our opinion it's $273 well spent.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #426
ericthex
CMF Rookie Member
2011 Malibu LTZ
red jewel coat

Hey tregojoe I've been having the same issues the dealer replaced the strut mounts the sway bar end links the steering motor and shaft but the noise is still the I believe its the struts ... ill wait and see how horse new struts worked for you.
ericthex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #427
tregojoe
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu 2LT
grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthex View Post
Hey tregojoe I've been having the same issues the dealer replaced the strut mounts the sway bar end links the steering motor and shaft but the noise is still the I believe its the struts ... ill wait and see how horse new struts worked for you.
It's been several days and a couple hundred miles since I installed the Monroe Quick struts and we are happier with the results every day. It's like being in a different car. Initially I could hear/feel a thump on bigger bumps but have since determined the noise is just from cold tires rolling over pavement seams. We're fairly certain it's just a normal noise you'd expect when the tires hit a crack in the road. Wash-board and stutter bumps are silent now.
I should mention that the ride height of our car was raised 3/8" with the new struts. I like them so much I'm thinking about doing the rears for the hell of it.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:18 AM   #428
ericthex
CMF Rookie Member
2011 Malibu LTZ
red jewel coat

I called the dealership and told him that I was still having the frontend noise and I ask him about the struts he it could be and he asked if I would bring it back in to change them under warranty.. I don't know if I want stock struts put back in if the don't have a upgraded strut.. anyone know if the do have one yet?
ericthex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 07:53 AM   #429
hjlint
CMF Junior Member
2010 Malibu LS
Labyrinth MAT

OEM Struts and mounts are a waste of time. I tried to have the dealer install struts that i would purchase. The wouldn't do it. They only want to instll OEM (JUNK)
hjlint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 04:30 AM   #430
White Diamond
CMF Rookie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjlint View Post
OEM Struts and mounts are a waste of time. I tried to have the dealer install struts that i would purchase. The wouldn't do it. They only want to instll OEM (JUNK)
If your car is under warranty probably they will only install OEM struts. I am getting Monroe struts and my dealer wanted to install them for me for a charge, naturally. They are good dealership but my mechanic friend is doing it free of charge.
White Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.