USB input - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:25 AM   #1
chevyorange
CMF Veteran Member
2013 Malibu Eco 2SA
Grey Metallic Taup

Gallery: 0
Send a message via MSN to chevyorange Send a message via Yahoo to chevyorange Send a message via Skype™ to chevyorange
Question USB input

I've found that using a USB stick, indeed, it will play .m4a files, not just mp3s.

The owners manual says one place max files are 1k max total in one place, 10k total in another. I have just over 10,000 total songs on my iPods & iPhone. They work fine - just the iPods with old physical moving hard drives are slow & constantly "indexing". It appears there is no memory in the Malibu and it starts indexing again every start. Storage devices & players with flash memory (USB & iPhone for instance) index faster and have less hiccups. Sometimes after start up my 80GB iPod classic and/or the stereo has gotten confused.

To befuddlements of the stereo:

1. It let my iPod battery run down over a day as it didn't stop the iPod from playing and the charge died, leaving the iPod in need of 10 minutes of charging before starting up again,
2. Turning the car off and leaving for five minutes and returning it would not pick up the USB input as if nothing was there.

I have not figured out how to create playlists yet, but I have iPods I use.

If I future out playlists on USB I my change that as no batteries in USB drives.

I hope my tech posts aren't too boring. Just wouldn't mind swapping "war stories"!

Adam

Last edited by chevyorange; 02-21-2013 at 05:33 AM. Reason: More data!
chevyorange is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
Joeyavhu
CMF Senior Member
2013 Malibu LTZ
Black Granite

Garage
Default Re: USB input

Im with you on these discoveries. Often I find that the systems ability to find my old 30GB iPod with color screen is not that impressive. Sometimes it just stops, but I do give most flaws to the iPod itself and not the system.

As someone who uses the port a lot, you may be interested in knowing what cables I carry.

I have a 6" cable for the iPod, its great because it just goes directly from the USB port to the iPod and keeps the rest of the space free.

You can also use it as a built in charger for cell phones using the normal usb to micro-usb cable.
Joeyavhu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 11:42 PM   #3
chevyorange
CMF Veteran Member
2013 Malibu Eco 2SA
Grey Metallic Taup

Send a message via MSN to chevyorange Send a message via Yahoo to chevyorange Send a message via Skype™ to chevyorange

Cool. I have 2 80gb iPods but find myself using BT off my iPhone as its faster and no hiccups. I think the hard drive in the iPod classics are just too slow.

I carry one charger for my iPhone and one cable for my iPods. I prefer my own library over anything XM or radio.

I'm going to figure out how to make a playlist file on a USB drive.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:50 AM   #4
solemnservant
CMF Junior Member
2013 Malibu 2SA
Black Granite

Garage

I don't even try to used the port anymore. Every time I have tried it loads using a galaxy s2. the bluetooth is suprising good, I don't even notice in loss in sound quality. I love my pioneer speakers. So much better than the stock speakers I had with a kia sportage years ago.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
chevyorange
CMF Veteran Member
2013 Malibu Eco 2SA
Grey Metallic Taup

The USB's only problem for me is when I shut the car down for five minutes and come back, it doesn't pick up again as an option. Usually toggling the power of the stereo will pick it back up.

The Bluetooth off my iPhone always works - but to can never get the address book to sync.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #6
nutcrunch
CMF Veteran Member

Garage

My address book always syncs up on my iphone.
I have problems sometimes with the correct song not showing on the screen when playing via bluetooth. I think I have it narrowed down to if I select repeat or shuffle on the phone it seems to do it then.

2013 Malibu ECO 1SA PCN pkg
White Diamond Tricoat
50/35 tint
nutcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2013, 05:47 AM   #7
rfmillerjr1
CMF Rookie Member
2013 Malibu 1LT
Blue

Default Re: USB Playlists

Has anyone successfully created a playlist on a USB stick and got it to play. I have been trying and so far no success.
I have an 8GB stick that is formatted FAT32. I use Itunes (on an Apple) and create the list then export it to the stick. It shows up there,(in the root directory) but does not show up as a playlist in the Malibu (2013). Any help would be appreciated.
rfmillerjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2013, 07:39 AM   #8
stoopid
CMF Senior Member
2013 Malibu 1LT
Silver

What is the extension of the playlist? I use M3U...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3U
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #9
chevyorange
CMF Veteran Member
2013 Malibu Eco 2SA
Grey Metallic Taup

If I have time I'll try a test tomorrow. I also have a Mac but usually run off my iPhone.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:34 PM   #10
adamklo
CMF Junior Member
2013 Malibu 1LT
Black Granite

I got my '13 2LT last week. I also have the 80GB ipod (5.5gen; the oooold Video) and I have issues with it as well.

When I plug it in, it indexes fairly quickly, however it only shows ONE artist, album and song (Etta James - At Last). However, all of my playlists show up with all songs in tact.

If I play an album, artist or 'shuffle all' before plugging in, I can continue doing just that, but when I navigate away within MyLink, I cannot go back to it, I only get my playlists, or a single Etta James tune.

My girlfriend has an 8gb nano (the square style, not long) and it works just fine, although not all the artists show up.

I like using bluetooth just fine, but I don't care for Pandora and I can only get so many songs on my Google Play account (although, now that I type that out, Google's 20,000 is more than the 12,000 I have on my ipod). Hmmm.
adamklo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.