brake position sensor - Page 2 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Gallery: 0
Default Re: brake position sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodents View Post
If the brake lights ( in the rear of the car) are on but your foot is not on the brake pedal, most likely the BCM 'thinks' the pedal is depressed when it isn't. The brake pedal position sensor is not a simple on/off switch like the good old days. The sensor is also most likely not the problem. Fretting corrosion on the BCM connectors will change the voltage the BCM 'sees' from the BPPS and will change the actual counts as seen on a scan tool in BCM data. The fix is to work the BCM connectors a few times to clean off the fretting corrosion and the problem will go away for a while. You can do that yourself easily by disconnecting the battery with the key off and disconnecting the BCM connectors with the blue lock lever and disconnect and reconnect the conectors a few times. Don't side load the connectors. You could also use a product like deoxit but you would need the cleaner 'D series' and the protector 'gold series' to make a lasting repair. Then the BPPS learn should be done to zero the sensor and your lights should work properly again.
Welcome back Rodents.

It's been my experience that the fretting corrosion at the BCM issue doesn't set any DTCs in the Gen 7.
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 01:49 AM   #12
jtice1984
CMF Rookie Member
2008 Malibu ls
grey

nothing against you guys... youve allways helped me out i just thought it was messed up that one dealer says one thing and the other gives me a print out of 11 codes granted i paided for the 11 codes but the dealer that told me one code i bought the car from them... just saying doesnt seem right but so far so good lights are off in the car and my wife is off my ass so its all good!!

thanks
john
jtice1984 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 06:01 PM   #13
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
Welcome back Rodents.

It's been my experience that the fretting corrosion at the BCM issue doesn't set any DTCs in the Gen 7.
Good to be back. Thanks.

I'll be here from time to time but not an every day thing for quite some time, maybe I can add something useful from time to time.

I'll beg to differ with your statement pertaining to DTC's and fretting corrosion on gen7. Check out SI doc 2535089 or bulletin 08-05-22-009C, whichever way you can access it. That bulletin should be updated to include later model years but I guess it's too much trouble. They don't address a lot of things in SI anymore, I gave up sending feedback as the answerback usually included the fact that I was right and numerous requests to change SI were made and ignored.
Rodents is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #14
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodents View Post

I'll beg to differ with your statement pertaining to DTC's and fretting corrosion on gen7. Check out SI doc 2535089 or bulletin 08-05-22-009C...
My bad. You're absolutely right. The OP even gave the text of a c0277 06 code, I was just too lazy to look it up. I really need a vacation where the sun is shining.

C0277 or C0161 + service traction & ESC off
Old 02-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #15
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
I really need a vacation where the sun is shining.

Your expectations are too high. You want a vacation AND the sun to shine at your vacaton destination. Maybe your luck is better than mine. I'd be happy with just one of those, my heart would skip a beat or three to get a sunny vacation. Doesn't hurt to dream though.
Rodents is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 10:17 PM   #16
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

We were thinking about a Caribbean cruise before the hurricane season arrives. Last time we went to Hawaii, it rained 9 out of 10 days (which I thought was statistically impossible there).
Old 02-27-2013, 04:03 AM   #17
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

Stay on land!!! Those cruise ships are all over the news these days.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #18
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
Those cruise ships are all over the news these days.
Exactly. So I'm thinking cabins may be going empty & deals are to be had.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:15 PM   #19
Keith G
CMF Rookie Member
2005 Malibu Maxx LS
Blue

Question Re: brake position sensor

Ok, Along this line of problem. I have a 2005 Malibu Maxx LS. The brake warning light came on recently and the info center said brake fluid. I was out of town so the girlfriend added brake fluid (it didn't really need it ). The light is still on and the info center still says brake fluid. I have checked fluid level myself and it is full. A few months ago, I went to get some new key fobs programmed and the guy at the dealer said I had a brake pedal position sensor code and also a BCM code. He could not clear the codes so I didn't get fobs programmed at that time. I had also been noticing that the cruise control would not set unless a applied the brakes hard then it would set until the next time. I assume from all this that the BPPS is indeed bad or as someone on here said the connectors are corroded. I would rather replace the sensor to be sure. The car has about 112,000 miles on it and has been well maintained since it was new (bought it from parents with about 50K on it. Any advice? I have two friends one of which is an ASE cert. mechanic that worked at a Chevy dealership. I know he will help. My big question is which type of BPPS to get. one is about 60 dollars and universal fit, the other is double that but car specific. Money is tight!. Any help appreciated.
Keith G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2014, 04:39 PM   #20
Drunken Elvis
CMF Veteran Member
2006 Malibu LS 2.2 I4
Silver

First step is to call GM with your vehicle identification number and ask if there is a recall for your vehicle with respect to the BPPS. Maybe this will cost you nothing.
Drunken Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.