Oil Life monitor - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:16 AM   #1
Whale
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu LTZ
Blue

Gallery: 0
Default Oil Life monitor

Any thoughts on trusting the oil life monitor? The monitor reads 55% but coming up on 3K miles, conventional oil, 09 LTZ 2.4 cyl almost 90K miles.

Thanks
Whale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 07:33 AM   #2
Drunken Elvis
CMF Veteran Member
2006 Malibu LS 2.2 I4
Silver

Default Re: Oil Life monitor

There are already threads here that deal with oil changes and the OLM. People's opinions vary greatly on the subject as you will find if you read them. Most people change their oil before the OLM tells them to. See the "oil change poll". http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=10429
Drunken Elvis is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
Malo83
CMF Veteran Member
08 Malibu LTZ
White

Gallery: 5

I don't use it, 5K oil changes with synthetic
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #4
cp-the-nerd
CMF Veteran Member
2009 Malibu 2LT V6
Red Jewel

Send a message via AIM to cp-the-nerd

You shouldn't be changing your oil every 3,000 miles unless you drive a 20 year old vehicle. Going 5k-6k miles is fine, just check the dipstick every few thousand to make sure you're good to go.

2009 2LT V6 Red Jewel
w/Factory Fogs, Lip Spoiler,
Black Calipers, Chrome-Tech 18s
cp-the-nerd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 10:16 AM   #5
velocity5
CMF Senior Member
2013 Traverse LS
SilverIce Metallic

Lots of opinions on this subject. I go by my OLM. I switched to Royal Purple and use K&N filters after the break in. I have not had to add any oil between changes. RP says you can go 10,000 with a premium filter but not to do it if you are under warranty. A co worker of mine is going 10k on his hemi Ram and his Ford Fusion with no top offs.
velocity5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

Early in the life of any engine those looooong OCIs (oil change intervals) will probably not cause any issues because the engine is new. But once metal has been worn away there are no snake oils or magical mystery compounds that'll put it back.

The price of a synthetic oil change at my dealer is around $70, including filter. If I change my oil every 5000 miles for 200,000 miles I will have changed it 40 times for a total price of $2800.

If I extend it to 7500 miles I will change it about 27 times for about $1890, saving $910.

Extending it to 10,000 miles I will change it 20 times for $1400, saving $1400 or $490.

If you want to save $1400 then by all means use 10,000-mile OCIs. But how much will the engine or car replacement cost if it fails at 100,000? Will it fail when you are ready to fix it or junk it, or will it fail at an inopportune time?

I let the OLM alert me but I don't go to 0% (except once while on vacation and driving 2000 miles in one week) and change it around 5000 miles using full synthetic.

Lots of opinions, not a lot of information running around. If you go to BobIsTheOilGuy.com you can read up on just what happens to oil in the car and all it has to do besides just lubricate. Knowledge is power, so read on and choose well.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 05:36 AM   #7
Steve_AZ
CMF Junior Member
2011 Malibu 1LT
Silver IceMetallic

I run synthetic and change around 6k miles - the OLM is usually just under 50% at that point. The only way I would run the OLM to zero (around 10k+ miles) would be if I was driving nearly 100% highway miles and I'd probably change the filter at 50% on the OLM. Just my opinion...
Steve_AZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 01:17 PM   #8
Malo83
CMF Veteran Member
08 Malibu LTZ
White

Gallery: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
Early in the life of any engine those looooong OCIs (oil change intervals) will probably not cause any issues because the engine is new. But once metal has been worn away there are no snake oils or magical mystery compounds that'll put it back.

The price of a synthetic oil change at my dealer is around $70, including filter. If I change my oil every 5000 miles for 200,000 miles I will have changed it 40 times for a total price of $2800.

If I extend it to 7500 miles I will change it about 27 times for about $1890, saving $910.

Extending it to 10,000 miles I will change it 20 times for $1400, saving $1400 or $490.

If you want to save $1400 then by all means use 10,000-mile OCIs. But how much will the engine or car replacement cost if it fails at 100,000? Will it fail when you are ready to fix it or junk it, or will it fail at an inopportune time?

I let the OLM alert me but I don't go to 0% (except once while on vacation and driving 2000 miles in one week) and change it around 5000 miles using full synthetic.

Lots of opinions, not a lot of information running around. If you go to BobIsTheOilGuy.com you can read up on just what happens to oil in the car and all it has to do besides just lubricate. Knowledge is power, so read on and choose well.
BITOG is nothing but opinions, seems like everybody is an oil expert
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #9
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage
Cool Re: Oil Life monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malo83 View Post
BITOG is nothing but opinions, seems like everybody is an oil expert
They offer way more information than any other site I've ever been to. And they don't sell anything, either. Whether they're experts or not isn't important to me, it's whether or not the information is believable and is not prejudicial.

We're full of opinions here, too, but nobody seems to mention that. I just feel that BITOG is a much better resource than any of us on here.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #10
velocity5
CMF Senior Member
2013 Traverse LS
SilverIce Metallic

The only way to really know how your oil change preference is working would be to send in a sample of your used oil to a lab. I got a free sample kit from Blackstone Labs. I may send in a sample on my next change.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/
velocity5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.