changing spark plugs - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:38 PM   #1
rocky01810
CMF Rookie Member

Gallery: 0
Default changing spark plugs

Has anyone got any advice on how to change the back three spark plugs? I started the job the other day and the front three were relatively easy. The back ones seem impossible to get from the top. Anyone done this without putting it on a lift and using just racks? How difficult is it and should i consider taking it to a mechanic to finish the job.
rocky01810 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2009, 06:12 PM   #2
OMalibu09
CMF Junior Member

Default Re: changing spark plugs

Sorry I have no experience with the Malibu spark plugs, but I can tell you about the 83 Pontiac Grand Prix (3.8 6-cyclinder) I had 15-years ago. The engine wasn’t sideways like cars these days, the front 4-spark plugs were easy, but the rear 2 weren’t to be seen. I used a proper spark plug socket (with the rubber piece to keep in place), and by linking different socket extensions, was able to feel the spark plug into the engine. By gently turning the socket extension with my fingers, was able to judge if the spark plug was straight and entering smoothly. Once it was as tight as I could turn it, used a torque wrench to properly tighten. Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:29 PM   #3
Malibu Glow
CMF Senior Member

What year Malibu do you have?

I replaced plugs on a friends 2001 with the 3100 and all I did was reach around the backside and felt for each plug wire and plug from above.
Malibu Glow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2009, 06:59 AM   #4
rocky01810
CMF Rookie Member

I have a 2003 same engine. Well I ended up reaching them fine form the top. Problem now is plug snapped below the hex. Im fairly certain that Im going to have to take the header off to get it out now. Any other suggestions?

Last edited by rocky01810; 04-01-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:28 PM   #5
rocky01810
CMF Rookie Member

I got lucky. dealer was able to get it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.