2014 malibu LT rear camera - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:47 PM   #1
mrcoffee
CMF Rookie Member
2014 Malibu 1LT
silver

Gallery: 0
Default 2014 malibu LT rear camera

hi all im a brand new newbie here , just got a 2014 chevy malibu less than a month old...anyway i love the car and its fun and enjoyable to drive i came up from a cobalt , so you know what i mean.. so i have a question if anyone might no, i have seen and been around peiople with cars and backup cams , and thiers have these nice lines or diagrams if you will on there backup display that shows where abouts you are in ref to a parking spot etc...now on my model it seems has only this big giant display and ive found it hard at time to judge where you are or how far to back...i would have thought it also would have the sensors beeping to but has none... i mean ive been doing a little practice with it backing in spaces etc but wasnt quite as nice as ones that shgow you grafs and where you are in relation to anything...thanks if anyone has any info on this ..
mrcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2014, 01:27 PM   #2
nutcrunch
CMF Veteran Member

Garage
Default Re: 2014 malibu LT rear camera

The only 8th generation Malibus that had the lines on the back up camera view were some of the very first 2013 ECO models with navigation. For some reason only those had it then they removed it even from them.

2013 Malibu ECO 1SA PCN pkg
White Diamond Tricoat
50/35 tint
nutcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2014, 03:50 PM   #3
jmz768
CMF Senior Member
2013 2.5 LT
Silver

I find it very difficult to judge distance when you're trying to back up to an object with no curb, parking block or line on the ground.
jmz768 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 07:20 AM   #4
joelw
CMF Senior Member
2013 Malibu 3LT Turbo
Taupe Gray

I read somewhere, but haven't independently confirmed, that the lines on the screen are copyright protected, and cannot be used without paying a licensing fee. According to the article, GM did not want to pay the fee.
joelw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 08:32 AM   #5
malibufirst
CMF Junior Member
2014 Malibu 1LT
Atlantis Blue Meta

Garage

I backed mine up to my wife's car as practice when i first got it. Got out and looked at the rear and how close i was to my wife's care then got back in and looked at the camera view. Now i am pretty much skilled at judging the distance between me an object behind me. Also get a sense of what 1 foot looks like in camera view.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:41 AM   #6
MC2crazy
CMF Junior Member
2014 Malibu 2.5 LTZ
Black Granite

I had the rear view camera on my last car, a Charger R/T, that had lines on the screen. They helped a lot. I had rear parking sensors on several cars. My last Seville had lights that would change as you got closer to something... one yellow, 2 yellows, then red would come on about 18" from hitting something.

The wide angle rear view camera on the Malibu helps, but could use much improvement. We have all of the factory options on the LTZ. There were so many lights going off all the time that it was distracting, so we chose to turn off the lane deviation warning.

Click the Fuelly link to see my MPG numbers:

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/mc2crazy/malibu
MC2crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2014, 05:39 PM   #7
c&wsinbad
CMF Senior Member
2014 Malibu LTZ
White Diamond Met

Like you, we have turned off the lane departure warning on our LTZ also. The "twitchy" steering issue was compounding the issue.

Regarding the distance judging or lines on the camera--I don't mind leaving a little extra room; prefer that to the alternative!
c&wsinbad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 10:29 AM   #8
Beecher
CMF Rookie Member
2013 Malibu 1LT
Silver

I find the backup camera in the Malibu for the most part pretty useless. After 6 mos of ownership, I can honestly say that I ignore the screen when backing up most of the time.

The resolution is terrible, and the lack of guidelines makes it pretty lame in my opinion.
Beecher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 02:19 PM   #9
c&wsinbad
CMF Senior Member
2014 Malibu LTZ
White Diamond Met

Agree with the above! It's generally just another gadget with very little practicle application. Occasionally I refer to it when I'm backing into a tight space, but not often.
c&wsinbad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 04:14 PM   #10
jmz768
CMF Senior Member
2013 2.5 LT
Silver

Remember, the reason we even have back up cameras is as a government mandated safety feature to keep people, especially small children from being ran over. They weren't intended for convenience, even though they obviously can be if done right.
jmz768 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.