rattle in rear end of car - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
jurgs2007
CMF Rookie Member
1999 Malibu LS
Green

Gallery: 0
Default rattle in rear end of car

ok, so i just picked up my 99 malibu today and as always, it has problems! lol
well, i knew about the problem, but im not 100% on what it is.. when i hit bumps, it rattles in the rear end. even the slightest bump will make it rattle. i know these are well known for going through struts, so i was guessing that was the problem. but i was looking at it and i can grab the top of the wheel and pull it in and out. to me this would almost seem like a hub assembly. but that seems solid. everything seems solid. the only thing i noticed is when i do pull out on the wheel, the cylinder on the strut spins. does anyone have any feedback on which one you think it is?
jurgs2007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
Starship
CMF Veteran Member

Default Re: rattle in rear end of car

It could be a lateral link bushing worn all the way through. The rattle is from the metal on metal contact.
Starship is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2010, 09:55 AM   #3
jurgs2007
CMF Rookie Member
1999 Malibu LS
Green

all bushings look to be fine, and that wouldnt really explain the play in the wheel. and this is a really loud rattle. it actually made the girlfriend really nervous riding in the car. and shes used to my camaro with alot of road noise.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:08 AM   #4
Starship
CMF Veteran Member

The lateral "play in the wheel" is what got me thinking of a lateral link bushing. Did you check both ends of both lateral links?
Old 09-22-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
jurgs2007
CMF Rookie Member
1999 Malibu LS
Green

i checked last night. i will check again in daylight when i get my jack back from a friend in a couple hours. but i still dont understand how that would make the obnoxious rattling. even when im in a parking lot and hit a speed bump at like 5mph its really loud.

Last edited by jurgs2007; 09-22-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
jurgs2007
CMF Rookie Member
1999 Malibu LS
Green

ok.. so i got my jack and jacked up the rear end of the car. as soon as i jacked it up off the ground, there is absolutely no play in the wheel. but as soon as i drop it back down, theres play again. all the bushings look fine. in fact, they all look like they have maybe 10k miles on them. they are spotless. even tried grabbing the lateral link and moving it back and forth and it seems stiff.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:19 PM   #7
Starship
CMF Veteran Member

That's bizarre. Maybe the strut is loose on the knuckle or the strut is shot but the suspension members at full extension are limiting the play. Maybe the rattle is unrelated, coming from a stabilizer bushing, parking brake cable, or even something loose inside the brake drum. Of course, I'm shooting in the dark now.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:28 PM   #8
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage
Cool Re: rattle in rear end of car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starship View Post
That's bizarre. Maybe the strut is loose on the knuckle or the strut is shot but the suspension members at full extension are limiting the play. Maybe the rattle is unrelated, coming from a stabilizer bushing, parking brake cable, or even something loose inside the brake drum. Of course, I'm shooting in the dark now.
Dude, your shots in the dark will hit more than most people's shots in the daytime!

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2010, 04:55 PM   #9
jurgs2007
CMF Rookie Member
1999 Malibu LS
Green

well, ive dealt with bad struts before, and broken springs, and what this sounds like is a combination of the 2. when i hit any bump at any speed it rattles like the spring had broke and is really loose or shifting. i can tell its on the outside because when im by buildings in town, i can hear it echoing off the buildings on the right side of me.. so that instantly makes me think its the strut.. but what throws me off is that the tire is able to me pulling in and out laterally. but everything else looks solid behind the wheel and under the car. also, i doubt its the breaks because i set the parking break and both rear wheels lock up completely.

oh, and to define the rattling sound better, its like a very rapid clunking type of rattle for each bump i hit. it doesnt really sound like metal on metal.

Last edited by jurgs2007; 09-22-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:12 PM   #10
Starship
CMF Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
Dude, your shots in the dark will hit more than most people's shots in the daytime!
Nah, not even close. Although, one tends to develop a certain self-sufficiency when one owns Saturns (ION is my third).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurgs2007 View Post
well, ive dealt with bad struts before, and broken springs, and what this sounds like is a combination of the 2. when i hit any bump at any speed it rattles like the spring had broke and is really loose or shifting. i can tell its on the outside because when im by buildings in town, i can hear it echoing off the buildings on the right side of me.. so that instantly makes me think its the strut.. but what throws me off is that the tire is able to me pulling in and out laterally. but everything else looks solid behind the wheel and under the car. also, i doubt its the breaks because i set the parking break and both rear wheels lock up completely.

oh, and to define the rattling sound better, its like a very rapid clunking type of rattle for each bump i hit. it doesnt really sound like metal on metal.
Still, I'd pull the wheel and the brake drum and then see if anything could be rattling inside. Also, check the hub mounting bolts. If the knuckle isn't moving, maybe the hub is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.