2009 Malibu Brake Light Question - Page 8 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:27 PM   #71
greenman
ASE Certified Technician

Gallery: 0
Default Re: 2009 Malibu Brake Light Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjr0300 View Post
...Stated I need a new traction control switch, brake switch, ebcm with valve module.
Now that is just plain throwing parts at the problem because they have no idea what the problem is.
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2011, 02:26 PM   #72
tbern
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu 1LT
White

Quote:
Does anybody have a price on the work done by the dealer? I too have the exact same issues as described above (Brake lights stay on, service ESC on display). Just got back from the dealer and they are quoting me $1,104 for parts & labor. Stated I need a new traction control switch, brake switch, ebcm with valve module. Beyond disappointed with this car since purchased, nothing but problems, any info on dealer pricing would be much appreciated.
This sounds exactly like the problem I had. I ended up contacting GM customer service and even though my car was out of warranty the dealership was kind enough to cover the repairs. I don't know if that was a result of my direct complaint to GM or something else. The explanation for the 'warranty' work that was done on my car was that they performed the service bulletin (grease on the connector) (ended up doing it 2x since the 1st time it didn't work) and 'reprogrammed the BCM'. I'm not aware of the dealership replacing the traction control switch or the BCM. An independent garage had replaced the brake switch with no success. Is the dealership you're working with aware of the TSB for the brake light issue?
tbern is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2011, 09:52 AM   #73
kjr0300
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbern View Post
This sounds exactly like the problem I had. I ended up contacting GM customer service and even though my car was out of warranty the dealership was kind enough to cover the repairs. I don't know if that was a result of my direct complaint to GM or something else. The explanation for the 'warranty' work that was done on my car was that they performed the service bulletin (grease on the connector) (ended up doing it 2x since the 1st time it didn't work) and 'reprogrammed the BCM'. I'm not aware of the dealership replacing the traction control switch or the BCM. An independent garage had replaced the brake switch with no success. Is the dealership you're working with aware of the TSB for the brake light issue?
When I took my car to the dealer I mentioned that there was a TSB out there, he simply said "we will investigate". My take is the technician is simply looking at codes and recommending parts, no real "investigation" is taking place. As greenman's noted: throwing parts at the issue.

I called Chevy customer service at 800-222-1020. Waiting on a response (likely Monday) from them. The gentleman I spoke to was surprised when I mentioned the quoted price as he seems to be familiar with the issue. He is going to contact the service department at the dealer I went to and get back to me. He wants to confirm what I told him, and again, "investigate the issue". Still, I am not very confident in getting this issue resolved at this point.
kjr0300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2011, 02:04 PM   #74
kjr0300
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu

Update: I received a call back from Chevy/GM Customer service today. The rep simply called the dealer and confirmed what I had told him, nothing more. He explained the parts and price, which I already knew, and stated that there was nothing more that could be done. I posed the question "what happens if paying $1,200 does not fix the issue"...he simply said those parts would be covered by a 10K mile warranty. After he said this, he realized "does not fix the issue" was point and had further response for me, so after a few more minutes of back and forth, I kindly thanked him (for nothing) and hung up.

Highly disappointed with customer service and the Chevy brand. Still trying to determine what my options are, but it seems like I'll have to go ahead and get the work done, or continue to drive around with my brake lights on and the message on the dash.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:08 PM   #75
MalibuKen
Banned
2011 Malibu 1LT+
White

Quote:
Highly disappointed with customer service and the Chevy brand. Still trying to determine what my options are,
Having brake lights that don't work right is a safety hazzard........and having to pay $1200 to get them fixed is outrageous. They should be able to isolate the problem to a SINGLE defective part and replace that.

I suggest that you contact the NTSB, National Transportation Safety Board, and tell the dealer and your "corporate contact" that you are doing that.

Maybe this has been asked before but how far out of warranty are you ??

If there is another GM dealer anywhere close by (any brand), getting a second opinoin might be helpful.
MalibuKen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2011, 04:08 AM   #76
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage

If you're handy at all you can find a way to put a contact switch on the pedal and wire your own brake light circuit. Just be sure it works flawlessly or you're back in the same boat.

One version would be to use a magnetic switch that controls a relay. That way you might be able to mimic the signals that the BCM is looking for and then you wouldn't have to rewire the freakin' thing. The magnet would mount to the pedal and the reed switch would mount in close proximity so it would switch as the magnet moves away from it.

Another way would be to find a way to mount some kind of "L" bracket to hold a "standard" brake light switch so the pedal arm contacts it to shut them off and moves away to turn them on. Again, you could either mimic the BPPS or rewire the whole system.

If there's some way you can scream to the NTSB and get them to see how lame it is to have a computer calculate whether to turn the lights on or off (and getting it wrong) then that could be the start of a move to make brake lights a simple circuit that works like it is expected to work: all the time!

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2011, 04:39 AM   #77
kjr0300
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuKen View Post
Having brake lights that don't work right is a safety hazzard........and having to pay $1200 to get them fixed is outrageous. They should be able to isolate the problem to a SINGLE defective part and replace that.

I suggest that you contact the NTSB, National Transportation Safety Board, and tell the dealer and your "corporate contact" that you are doing that.

Maybe this has been asked before but how far out of warranty are you ??

If there is another GM dealer anywhere close by (any brand), getting a second opinoin might be helpful.
Ken, I'm just over 90K miles unfortunately. I am leaning towards a second opinion, just sucks I have to pay another $125 for them to tell me what's wrong.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:32 AM   #78
MalibuKen
Banned
2011 Malibu 1LT+
White

Quote:
just sucks I have to pay another $125 for them to tell me what's wrong.
Understand. This might seem like a nit-picky point......but it really isn't.
Your problem is not with pinpointing what is wrong......but with the list of parts and labor they seem to think is necessary to fix it.

Your first shop seems to think that they need to change EVERY part even remotely associated with the circuit in question.........and I think that is lazy and just plain dis-respectful to you as a customer.

AND it is possible that the second shop might wave or reduce the "diagnostic charge" if they know the whole story and suspect that they might lure in a new customer in the process.
MalibuKen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2011, 05:43 PM   #79
Rodents
ASE Certified Technician
2011 Malibu 2LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Quote:
Does anybody have a price on the work done by the dealer? I too have the exact same issues as described above (Brake lights stay on, service ESC on display). Just got back from the dealer and they are quoting me $1,104 for parts & labor. Stated I need a new traction control switch, brake switch, ebcm with valve module. Beyond disappointed with this car since purchased, nothing but problems, any info on dealer pricing would be much appreciated.
Do you have any records of what codes were stored when the problem occured? I get the idea as well that this service department is just throwing parts at it. Do you know if the bulletin was ever properly performed? If not, you really should start there, it's really pretty easy to do yourself if you have some mechanical ability. If not, an independent shop you know does good work can do it as well. I can send you a copy of the bulletin or if you look around on the forum, it's been posted at least a few times already. Weigh your options, gamble on an 1100 dollar shotgun approach, spend a hundred bucks and change for a second opinion or do the bulletin and see what that gets you. Codes would be good here to make sure we're dealing with the same issue the bulletin does but it's fairly common for the fretting corrosion to cause problems like it seems you have. Just did one today actually, took maybe 20 minutes tops and that was taking the time to clean up each terminal of the X2 BCM connector with a terminal test probe.
Rodents is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2011, 07:37 AM   #80
kjr0300
CMF Rookie Member
2009 Malibu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodents View Post
Do you have any records of what codes were stored when the problem occured? I get the idea as well that this service department is just throwing parts at it. Do you know if the bulletin was ever properly performed? If not, you really should start there, it's really pretty easy to do yourself if you have some mechanical ability. If not, an independent shop you know does good work can do it as well. I can send you a copy of the bulletin or if you look around on the forum, it's been posted at least a few times already. Weigh your options, gamble on an 1100 dollar shotgun approach, spend a hundred bucks and change for a second opinion or do the bulletin and see what that gets you. Codes would be good here to make sure we're dealing with the same issue the bulletin does but it's fairly common for the fretting corrosion to cause problems like it seems you have. Just did one today actually, took maybe 20 minutes tops and that was taking the time to clean up each terminal of the X2 BCM connector with a terminal test probe.
Here are the codes that were included in the diagnostic:
C0131: EBCM & Valve Failure
C0561: Traction Control Switch Failure
C0899: Brake Switch Failure

I'd like to take a shot at fixing this myself, and I have a local mechanic that I trust who could lend a hand if needed, but I'm pretty good with my hands.

Just a note, I drove home from work last night and had no issue with my brake lights, they worked fine for the whole ride which is roughly 25 minutes on both highway and local roads. I'm sure the issue will repeat, but this causes me believe there's an easier fix.

Can you walk me through the steps you took to fix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.