Oil and Filter Change 2.4L - Page 3 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:42 AM   #21
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage
Default Re: Oil and Filter Change 2.4L

Video does not apply to V6 since it uses a spin-on filter. But having seen that video I like the cartridge idea 'cuz it can be changed without leaking all over the side of the engine.

Oh, well, guess I gotta give up something to have the 6, eh?

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 04:43 AM   #22
nutcrunch
CMF Veteran Member

Gallery: 0
Garage

Yea I love how much cleaner and easier it is with the oil filter up top like that. I wish they would come up with a way to drain the oil from up top also.

2013 Malibu ECO 1SA PCN pkg
White Diamond Tricoat
50/35 tint
nutcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 09:52 AM   #23
Kart22G
CMF Rookie Member
2010 Malibu 1LT
Black

I watched the video, and yes the oily used crunched filter is how my WIX filter looked after I took it out and yes the clean WIX filter that he showed is how it looked before I put it in, nice and straight filter elements. Yet my ACDelco filter looks the same when I put it in and after I take it out, no deformation and straight filter elements! Other than the oily dark look of course, being the only difference between a new and used looking ACDelco filter.
I snap the oil filter into the plastic cap first before I insert it into the mounting location on the engine block. Then I hand turn the cap into the block as much as I can, and bring out my Snap-on torque wrench set at 25Nm to finish off the job using the Lisle special socket, which you can pick up at any auto store or Amazon. By the way I put clean oil on the small o-ring on the end of the filter and the large o-ring on the plastic cap before assembly to ease them into their mating locations and decrease wear especially on the large o-ring.

This still alarms me and I will continue using ACDelco. Seems like Mobile now, as brought up in the video and Wix need look into this. Does anyone get a straight looking filter after an oil change with others brands they use like purluator, K&N, etc.? I agree, the filter element of the ACDelco is probably not as good as WIX, but if wix is being crunched in the engine block and therefore not filtering correctly or at all, I'd say it makes sense to stick with ACDelco. Don't you?
Kart22G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #24
hoahai
CMF Senior Member

I always used ACDelco oil filter. I also used SuperTech Filters from walmart couple of times. None of them were crunched. Note that Walmart no longer carries SuperTech oil filter. The SuperTech filter I bought from Waltmart looked very decent and made from Korea
Old 11-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #25
nutcrunch
CMF Veteran Member

Garage

Like I said earlier, I use Purolator and it always comes out crunched when I change it. I admit I don't torque the cap with a wrench, I have been just tightening it as hard as I could which is probably helping the crunching of the filter.

2013 Malibu ECO 1SA PCN pkg
White Diamond Tricoat
50/35 tint
nutcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #26
Speed_Freak5150
Super Moderator
2010 Malibu 1LT
Imperial Blue

Gallery: 2

I always use the NAPA Gold filters or Wix filters and only had that crunching effect on my first oil change in the Cobalt. The only thing that changed was putting a little bit of oil on the fitting where the filter snaps onto the cap and a little bit of oil on the end that slides into the block.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #27
Kart22G
CMF Rookie Member
2010 Malibu 1LT
Black

The plastic cap has a positive stop built in, so you can't over tighten it into the engine block. The o-ring seal on the cap is a confined radial seal, which has a set compression that is not determined by the amount of torque applied to the plastic cap. This is unlike the unconfined axial seals on the normal canister spin on type oil filter where the amount of torque applied to the canister changes the amount of compression on the seal. Therefore, the 25Nm torque recommendation on the plastic cover is so you have enough suggested torque to keep the cap from vibrating loose, but not too much that the cap breaks. Maybe the crunching is due to not lubricating the small o-ring on the front of the filter before installing. I believe Napa gold is just relabeled WIX, from what Napa has told me. Still I would have to believe the crunching effect is due to the filter not seating properly and therefore causing a gap where oil can bypass the filter altogether. I definetly see some positives to this type of filter over the screw on canister, but there are still a few Cons too!
Kart22G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #28
rodhotter
CMF Senior Member
2013 Malibu LS
blue

fram is prolly the worse brand name filter made!!! they spend on advertising not their filters
rodhotter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.