EPS Issue - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
Speedy
CMF Rookie Member
2006 Malibu LT
Silver

Gallery: 0
Default EPS Issue

I have a 2006 malibu lt. I see several people have had the problem with their EPS. I have the normal syptoms of the dinging and power steering message on the radio. It happens under medium-hard acceleration. My car does not have a warranty because it was not bought from the dealership. So i cant take it in for the recall unless i want to spend $600-$800 that i dont have. I have had the problem for quite some time but it is slowly becoming worse. Ive had the problem rougly 15,000 miles, bad i know... It used to only happen every once in awhile and wasnt much of an issue but now it happens whenever i accelerate hard and is becoming a real annoying. I dont ever have to shut my car off like some do, i just have to stop accelerating fast and it will go away. I have been reading about all the symtoms extensively over several forums. I have some other small issues i have that i believe are related because it happens when the power steering acts up. Over the last two years while ive had the problem, i have had the battery light come on and ding maybe about 5 different times when accelerating and the power steering is acting up. It only happened on very long drives tho. I had been driving 5 hours plus when the battery light went off. One time was at night and the lights were sort of flickering. They would go from bright to kind of dim. This one specific incident with the headlights lasted a couple minutes but then it stopped and hasnt happened again. It could possibly happen every time the battery light came on and it just happened to be daytime and i did not notice. I replaced the battery a few months ago because it went bad and im 99% positive that the problem isnt a bad battery and i dont think the problem caused the battery to go bad. From my research i see several people had to have the steering column replaced. But i also see many people say that the reason it is occuring is because of a voltage spike to the EPS or something. some say it was a bad ground and that it could be fixed. I believe mine has to due with the voltage. Some people said they fixed it but i cant find any where that says how to fix the voltage spike that happens. Is there anyone here that could explain to me how i might fix it? I have a good amount of mechanical knowledge and i think i have a bit more knowledge than the average do it yourselfer but i have just about zero knowledge about eps. Anyone know what i might be able to do without replacing the entire steering column? I also saw some people said it was the EPS module itself that needed replacing. Any help will be valued and appreciated
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
DrivenDaily
Administrator
2011 3.6/ A6 LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat

Gallery: 6
Garage
Default Re: EPS Issue

One post I recall said that the voltage spikes could be due to the spark plug wires being too close to the EPS wire. (Induction.)

By your comments it sounds a lot like your alternator may be getting weak, or the drive belt for it is worn to the point that it can't turn it when it needs to provide peak charging or at high speeds. I'd check the belt and have the unit tested.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
Drunken Elvis
CMF Veteran Member
2006 Malibu LS 2.2 I4
Silver

Contact GM, you might be surprised to find and extended warranty on your EPS. It doesn't matter where you bought your car. I have a 2006 and I still have a warranty on the eps.

Last edited by Drunken Elvis; 11-06-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Drunken Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #4
Speedy
CMF Rookie Member
2006 Malibu LT
Silver

I had the alternator checked a few months ago when the battery was replaced and i have been having the problem since before then. Ill check the drive belt but i usally give those types of things a once over when i change the oil or do maintenance. Ill check out where the EPS wire is in relation to the plug wires. But it seems like if that were the issue id also have problems with my plug wires and spark plugs, possibly a misfire even. Plugs and wires were changed probably a little over a year ago. I keep up with all general maintenance.

I guess it couldnt hurt to give GM a call. The dealerships around me arent too friendly tho. Also the car just went over 101k not sure whether or not that would be issue with them replacing it. Thanks for the video. Looks like i may have to try replacing the coil and get a ground wire to see if i have any luck. Im gonna look up the the bulletins he mentioned and see if some people were having the same problem. It looks like he has alot more than just the battery light coming on the dash when it happens. i cant get the battery light on mine to come on very often. Just the ding and radio message and steering column tightening up. But if that is the problem that would be nice. Ill look more into the bulletins he mentioned. Also im gonna pull out the volt meter and see if i have similar readings. Ill let you guys know what happens. Thanks for your guys help, hopefully this is some what of an easy fix.

Last edited by Speedy; 11-06-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
Speedy
CMF Rookie Member
2006 Malibu LT
Silver

found this tsb. im really starting to feel like the coil is the issue. im gonna pull out the volt meter tomorrow after work and try to confirm im getting the voltage drop/spike. fingers crossed...Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2432.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	2520
Old 11-07-2012, 02:10 PM   #6
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Verified Chevy Representatives

If you have contacted the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center yet, you can send me a private message with the VIN and I would be more than happy to research recall and extended warranty data for you.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

Available Monday-Friday

Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.