Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2010 Malibu LTZ - 2 New Electrical Problems

12K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  zaxmozen 
#1 ·
Guys

I have two new electrical problems :

1) Every once in a while my service airbag light goes on and the chime rings. This happens while I'm driving , it will stay on for 3 to 4 minutes then the light goes off. Now I know there's a problem with a lose cable under the drivers seat, and mine was fixed but can anything else cause this?

2) Here is the annoying one-- The radio control buttons on the right side of the steering wheel. My volume up button (the very top one) when tapped with my finger actually LOWERS the volume. The Volume down button (the second button) actually changes my channels. The third and fourth buttons (which are to change the stations) some times works correctly and sometimes work backwards.

Has anyone else encountered any of these problems -- or is my car playing a cruel joke on me ????

#2 ·
1) Every once in a while my service airbag light goes on and the chime rings. This happens while I'm driving , it will stay on for 3 to 4 minutes then the light goes off. Now I know there's a problem with a lose cable under the drivers seat, and mine was fixed but can anything else cause this?

2) Here is the annoying one-- The radio control buttons on the right side of the steering wheel. My volume up button (the very top one) when tapped with my finger actually LOWERS the volume. The Volume down button (the second button) actually changes my channels. The third and fourth buttons (which are to change the stations) some times works correctly and sometimes work backwards.
#1 - What was done to your vehicle for the wiring under the seat if you know? There were a couple recalls, the early ones just got inspected and dielectric grease on the connector and that was about it. The later ones got new connectors no matter what. So, if you didn't get new connectors, you should start there. If you PM me the last 8 digits of the VIN, I'll see if there's any open recalls so you can get it done for free. With the key off, go under each seat and disconnect and reconnect the yellow connectors a few times and see if that helps. May be fretting corrosion, of course there could be other issues.

#2 - Probably the steering wheel button assembly is just gone bad. Radio works fine from the actual on the radio controls, right? The steering wheel controls are just a bunch of resistors and pressing a button completes a circuit with a predetermined resistance. If the resistance is out of spec, the command won't be interpreted correctly. Should be serviced separately but you need to remove the air bag module to do it.

#4 ·
Rodent

Yes you are correct the wires under the driver seat are pulling away from the connector. I reconnected them tightly and taped them real good -- so far so good.

Michelle

After my battery went dead the dealer jumped and tested it and so far button is working fine. I will keep you posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.