Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

At last an Intake!

25K views 66 replies 19 participants last post by  GMforlife 
#1 ·
so i was browsing ebay for an intake and came across this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...item=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_5279wt_1143

needless to say i wanted to give it a try for how cheap it was. well i got it today and was pleasantly surprised. the quality was very good. i had to modify the the mounts a bit but nothing crazy. the filter was also pretty nice. looks just like the spectre ones, possibly even made by the same manufacturer. It even comes with a fitting on the tube to re rout the vacuum line. here are some pics.

i ended up moving these front mounts under the plastic, looked much better.

See less See more
#3 ·
Does it take in cold air or is it open to the engine bay?

It looks nice! Driven it yet? How is it? Sound different? Butt dyno seem like any extra ponies under the hood? More torque off the line?

#4 · (Edited)
open to the engine bay but im not too worried. the cone is right next to the cold air tube the stock box uses. it will flow better than stock air temperature aside. if i get bored i can make a shield. but for $50 you cant beat it.

i have only taken it around the block. sound quite a bit louder and deeper. great sound.
cant really comment on the performance yet

#6 ·
Gotten any CEL's yet? If not, I wonder before how long. Every intake out there has caused a CEL in the Gen 7 Malibu's. The quality looks pretty good. Keep us updated on how it's treating your car. Usually air intake's will make the engine nosier and add a few horses to cars like ours.

#7 ·
I hope that the 3.6 doesn't suffer from CELs like the 2.4 does. I guess we have TheMuskr to be our point on this, eh?

#8 ·
through research i found that the 3.6 doesn't have CEL issues. the engine is in the g6 gtp and they have intakes without any issues. i was told its only a big deal on the ecotechs. i will keep you updated. and yes they have more. the company is called chrome intakes.

#9 · (Edited)
oh and i forgot to say. this isnt technically meant for the vvt malibu so the first silicone connector at the throttle body needs to be bent to fit right. this is because the throttle body on our v6 is angled unlike the 3.5 v6. not a hard thing to work around. i just stretched it to fit worked great

#10 ·
Excellent news! Now we just have to wait for some seat time and get some feedback from you.

If you can manage it safely please consider making a video of a test drive. Safest way is to let a passenger hold the cam, or strap it down and hope the neck-snapping acceleration doesn't rip it from its mount! ;)

#18 ·
Ive had an intake on my V6 for almost 2 years, no CEL. Only the 4 bangers have issues with the CEL.

#21 ·
not hard at all. i would give it a 2. the only hard part is bending the 90 degree coupler at the throttle body to about a 60 degree angle. i just played around with the band clamps and the position of it all til it fit just right.

#22 ·
It doesnt look right to me....it looks like it doesnt fit.
I also dont care for short ram intakes over CAI's as they suck in hot engine air for less performance....
but you really cant beat that price- if it works (and doesnt work itself apart).

If I was you I would extend it into the quarter panel (even though making your intake pipe 2 foot longer is another performance hit) or make a heat shield for it.

Prolly the best bang for your buck though & it sounds like I dont have to bother with fabbin one up for yall cause I cant fab one up anywhere near that price. ;)

#25 ·
It doesnt look right to me....it looks like it doesnt fit.
I also dont care for short ram intakes over CAI's as they suck in hot engine air for less performance....
but you really cant beat that price- if it works (and doesnt work itself apart).
its mounted to the car at three points and is very sturdy, so its not gonna go anywhere

#23 ·
Also you need to remove your quarter resonator. Without a vacume to pull air through that horn, no air will go through it. It is now doing nothing but blocking the air that can come up from your quarter panel. Its use to prevent water ingestion is also void as it
is no longer attached to a sealed unit....so it is currently worthless and even causing a performance loss by blocking the cooler air from below.

Its easiest to pull the wheel off and go in through the wheel well liner as the bolt
holding it is on that side (and you can pull it right out through there - wont fit through the headlight opening in most cases).

#24 ·
it fits well actually. i was gonna just order a 60 degree coupler but i'm not gonna even bother. i might make a a shield but, i know its not gonna make a noticeable difference so i may not even bother with that either.

#31 ·
I'm way too lazy to walk down to the garage, and look at my car, but could you have used the stock air box with the cone filter inside, or even hooked the intake to the stock air box, and used a K&N or similar panel filter?

What you did looks good, just curious if you had tried the stock box.

#37 ·
Wondering if you had a status update on this? Had any problems yet or is still running smoothly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.