Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Check engine light, code scanner link error

30K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  fasalcido 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, a couple hours ago I was coming home from working the night shift. Running through a drive through for a quick bite to eat my CEL comes on. First thing I do when I notice it is I kill my radio and kill the HVAC system and begin to listen.

After I get back onto the freeway heading home I keep everything off and keep listening and in general keeping an eye on how the car was driving and performing. Driveability "so far" doesn't seem to be affected by the appearance of the CEL. Once i'm home and I finish my dinner I grab my code scanner and go to check out what caused the light to come on. The damnedest thing happened when I connected my scanner though, after trying for a minute to link it came up "Link Error". I tried over and over to get it to link and it kept coming up the same. I even took the Xcal2 I have for my truck and tried that since it also doubles as a scanner, and it came up the exact same, Link Error.

I'm sitting here thinking I can't be the first person this has happened to, so someone please tell me WTF is going on, why can't a scanner link, and is this something potentially harmful? I'm not really in a position to take it to the dealer today so I really do need to know if it's an immediate danger.

BTW, car is a 2010, 2.4L, i've had it for 7 months now and it has 4,960 miles

See less See more
#2 ·
I can't seem to find much on your link error, I found a old tread on another chevy forum about a van not not linking as well but it was a 98' I'm not aware of the differences between your new Bu and an 98', but I'll give you a link to it anyways maybe it will possibly give you to troubleshooting ideas to try:

http://chevroletforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24625

I apologise if this is of absolutely no help to you.

Is your gas cap is on correctly? That can set off your light, and is an great repair regarding cost.

#3 ·
Well, thanks for the reply Screechy, and weather it's of no help or not you're trying.

I do have an update on the CEL. After a couple hours sitting here waiting on phone calls and googling what would cause a link error, I went out and tried both the code readers again. The actual scanner still showed the Link Error, but my Xcal2 this time was able to link and I finally was able to see the code. P0172, Fuel System Too Rich, Bank 1. Since it was a fuel trim code I decided to clear the code and hope it's an O2 sensor fart, but dammit all the xcal will now link and read the code but it wouldn't clear it.

I think the scanner problem is due to their age, the scanner is over 10 years old and the xcal is coming up on 5 I believe. Since I had to go to my brother's today I used his much newer scanner. It linked just fine and easily cleared the code. If the code returns it's definitely going in for service.

Could this be anything more than a sensor glitch? I mean a rich code on a car this new seems odd to me. I guess thats why i'm feeling so strongly it's nothing more than a glitch.

#4 ·
On a car this new you're under warranty. If it happens again take it in because that means something is really not right. It could be the computer itself (not likely but possible) or a component on the engine. I've seen new parts come out of the box defective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.