Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Window tint

15K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  Speed_Freak5150 
#1 ·
I'm scheduled to get my windows tinted tomorrow morning. I think I'm going to get 20% all around with a 20% windshield strip..I like the look of dark windows.. How hard is it to see with 20% at night. I had 35% on the fronts of my grand prix and 5% on the rears. I didn't have any problems using my side mirrors with the 35%. I'm just trying to make sure it's the right decision before I spend the cash

#3 ·
I have 5% and I can see fine too. Depends on personal preference IMO

#4 ·
I had 35% front on my '09 and now have 20% on my '11. I like the 35% but have gotten used to the 20%. If I were to do it again I'd go with 35% and be quite happy.

The rears on both are/were 20% and never gave me any issues driving or looking through the mirror. Even the auto-dimming mirror works just fine!

#5 ·
I gotta look closer into the tint laws around here,these cars look great with a little tint on them.

#6 · (Edited)
Here are the Ohio tint laws http://www.tintlaws.com/laws/OH/

HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN OHIO?
Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In Ohio, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.
• Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 5 inches of the windshield.
• Front Side Windows Must allow more than 50% of light in.
• Back Side Windows Any darkness can be used.
• Rear Window Any darkness can be used.
Virginia also has the 50% restriction on the front windows which I wish allowed you at least 35% since our back windows are restricted to 35%
It would look a little nicer if the windows matched but I guess it doesn't look too bad with 50/35

Now remember, if you are trying to keep it perfectly legal, that if your windows already have a little factory tint on them and you lay legal tint over it then they will become a little darker thus you won't be legal anymore.
For instance say your windows have 80% tint from factory and on the front windows you have 50% tint put on it, you will end up with 40% tint. (layer1 x layer2= final percentage)

#7 ·
Cool thanks for the info.

#8 · (Edited)
Don't know how they would be able to tell what % you have on your windows. I know 5% is easy to tell that it is darker than legal, but if you have 35% or 20%, I'm pretty sure no one could tell which is which without a side by side comparison. Even then, depending on the color of your interior, it would be hard to tell. The darker your interior, the darker the tint appears to be. No one would ever be able to see the difference between 40% or 50%. I have the light interior in my car, and I would challenge anyone to tell me what the percentage is on my window tint. You have to look hard to see the difference between the fronts and rears. Anything darker than 25% is tough for me to see out of at night. Don't like that.
Has anyone ever been harrassed about their tint and have to prove what shade it is? How does that process work?

#9 ·
They have a device to measure the light percentage. The closer you are to legal the less chance they would pull you over and use the device if they have one with them. I believe they could also have you go get it tested somewhere if they suspect it is illegal.

I want to be legal for no hassles but ours is actually illegal since the car originally had a slight tint before they put the 50/35 on. I'm not worried though since it is pretty close so I doubt they will ever ticket us for it. Especially with the much darker tinted cars I see around.

#12 ·
i got 20 all around and 50 on the windshield and i couldn't be happier. with the 20 thrown on top of the factory 70, you get 14 which is damn close to the 15 i wanted. at the right angle, on cloudy days, and at night, it's damn near impossible to see in, exactly how it should be.

it's dark enough to serve it's purpose, but not dark enough to draw attention or to impair vision.

#13 ·
I went with 20% with 20% windshield strip..im happy with it

Attachments

#15 ·
I have 20% all around with no strip on the windshield. I just didnt want to be looking through a line all the time! The only thing I ever have an issue with is backing up in areas where it is really dark and just have to roll the windows down 1/2 way. Enjoy your new tint...once you go black you never go back!

#18 ·
I have 20% on all windows except the windshield. I haven't had any issues seeing. I live in NC and our laws are you cant have the windows any darker than 35%. Had them done about 3 months ago, havent looked back and no issues yet *knocks on wood* :) but i think it depends on how strict your area is. just my 2 cents

#23 ·
I suggest nothing darker than 35% on the front side windows and 20% or darker on the rear windows.

You'll learn to love it so much that when you drive a car without tint you'll feel like you're in a fishbowl!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.