Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Needin some advice on HIDs

5K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  mysilversurfer 12 
#1 ·
I have been checkin out some hids for my malibu.. I would like to install both high and low beams.. I have no idea what brand hid kit to buy any suggestions?

#2 ·
I would go with DDM Tuning, good kits with good prices. The only downside to why I wont put HID's in my malibu is becase of the effort to remove the bumper just to install. Also you take the risk on when one of those bulbs or ballasts goes bad you have to go through the same process all over again.

#3 ·
Yeah. Its a long drawn out process... But im sure itd be well worth it.. And another problem still exists 35 watt or 55 watt hids? Im new to all this im not sure which would be best... I know 55 watt is brighter just dont know what is the factory wattage.. 35 or 55 ya know what i mean..

#4 ·
That would be easy to find out. You have a H11 low beam, factory rated at 50W. You have a H9 high beam, factory rated at 65 watts.

One more possibilty - well, two more - 1) Add a heavy-gauge wire relay harness to power the lights, so that you get more of the voltage of the battery to the lights (on my 2000, I went from 12-something to right at 14V with the motor at 2000 RPM approx ... and you could tell the difference on factory lamps with that!)

2) There's a method of replacing the H11 with a H9 to increase the output by almost 75% (from 1200 lumens to 2100 lumens). Here's one write up: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2083911

Before you spent the money on HIDs that aren't focused right in your lamps, you may want to consider that instead. 75% more light with no loss of life is ... a nice consideration!

RwP

#5 ·
Also consider that HIDs in a reflector housing designed for halogens with the filament aligned one direction and the HIDs are perpendicular will scatter the light all over the place. To get the most benefit from HIDs you need projector lenses that gather the light and focus them into a useable pattern. Otherwise you just have a bunch light all over the place not helping you as much as the original halogens and blinding oncoming traffic.

The whole idea behind getting brighter lights is to have more on the road where you need it. Just replacing the halogens with HIDs will not yield the results you seek unless you get a complete projector conversion that can be aimed.

Even though the advertised life is only about as long as the Silver Star Ultras there are Silver Star zXe bulbs available that claim to be even brighter and whiter while still being halogen. I've checked and can't find HIR bulbs in H11 or H9 - dang! And the 9012 will not physically fit in the opening of an H11.

#6 ·
HID high beams are pointless, they are going to have to fire up and warm up which takes a while. Plus it's bad to "hotspot" HIDs, i.e. turn them on then right back off. The salts in the bulbs heat up, but also need to cool down.

If you really want bi-xenon then do a retrofit like I have with bi-xenon projectors. that way you get HID high and low beams the proper way.

HIDs should not be installed in reflectors.. to each their own.

#7 ·
HID in my lows, regular filament bulbs in the highs. NO issues. Plenty of light.
Reflectors have a nice tight pattern, sharp cutoff in the vertical / left areas.
Make sure you align not to blind, that's part of the responsibility of putting them in, unlike the fart can crowd.......

#8 ·
Unless you plan on retrofitting projectors, a leveling mechanism and true HID bulbs, don't even attempt it. Other motorists will thank you.

Folks that just buy any cheap HID bulb off of eBay and use the US DOT reflectors get my high beams.

You want better light output, may I suggest Philips Xtreme Visions.

#10 ·
The problem in not so much heat in the wires since the wires to the lows and highs are the same - too small! The issue is the H9 doesn't have the glare guard on the end of the bulb and is therefore illegal (and inconsiderate) to use as a low beam.

#12 ·
It kinda works as one except for the bowtie-shaped hole in it that lets the glare of the bulb shine through. I forgot about that little cap. I'll bet that very little glare comes through so it might be okay to use the H9 in place of the H11. It's worth a try at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.