Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Advanced remote start

14K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  TVIDboo 
#1 ·
http://www.chevrolet.com/2008malibu/accessories/

When these come out I would like to get the new fobs for my wife's car. When we purchased the car the owner said we could get them at a discount when they are available.
It sounds like it will be a long range remote. My wife parks 800 to 900 feet away from her work building. She said by the time she gets within 150 to 200 feet to get the remote to work she might as well wait until she gets in the car.
I like how the new unit will tell you if the car started. In bright light from the side it is hard to see if the car started.
You can check several functions from the fob like tire pressure and fuel level.
The service manager said it should work with the current remote start after a reprogram.
No one knows what two fobs will cost.
I'm guessing this will be a 09 option and maybe standard on the LTZ.

#5 ·
I had a 2-way remote start on my previous vehicle. I loved it when it worked, but it ate up AA batteries every 2 weeks...I hope there's lasts longer.

#9 ·
I had a 2-way remote start on my previous vehicle. I loved it when it worked, but it ate up AA batteries every 2 weeks...I hope there's lasts longer.
Wow, I've never seen one big enough that it would take AA batteries.
The after market ones I have seen use a watch battery.

#10 ·
It only took one battery, but it ate through a lot of them. It was this kind: http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=547

And it was kinda cool. If you needed to run into a store for a quick second, but leave the car running without the keys, you just press the start button twice and remove the key. The car would keep running for the 20 minute interval or until you returned.

#15 ·
As soon as this is available and XM/Sirius merge and the 6 speed auto is available for the 4cyl then I will be picking a malibu up.

By the way, I found a more detailed description of the remote start that I believe wasn't posted already...sounds great, especially for with the winters I see.

2-Way Advanced Remote Start System

GM Accessories takes the vehicle remote start system to the next level with its 2-Way Advanced Remote Start System, which boosts both range and functionality compared to other remote start systems.

GM is the first automaker to offer an LCD two-way remote start accessory. GM Accessories’ new 2-Way Advanced Remote Start System actually communicates important information about certain vehicle systems via a small LCD screen on the key fob. Users can see if the doors are locked or unlocked; determine whether the engine is running and see how much time is left before the vehicle will automatically shut off; check security status; find out current odometer mileage; see remaining fuel; check tire pressures in all four tires; and change radio station pre-sets.

Typical remote start systems work at distances of between two to three times the range of a factory-installed remote keyless entry system. GM’s 2-Way Advanced Remote Start System is designed to function at ranges of up to four to six times the typical keyless entry system, enabling users to start their vehicles from much greater distances.

The system will be available in the second quarter of 2007 on certain GM vehicles. Pricing for the system will range from under $150 MSRP up to $250 MSRP, depending on the vehicle’s factory options, plus dealer installation.

#20 ·
One thing that's surprising that it doesn't seem to do (since the factory standard remotes from some manufacturers already do this) is allow you to open the windows with the remote.
When you're approaching your car, it would be nice to be able to open all the windows and moonroof to exhaust oven-hot air from 50 feet away on a hot summer day before you step into the car.
This is more efficient than idling the car for 10 minutes with the A/C on when the closed interior is 150+ degrees.

#22 ·
#27 ·
BuckyFan - I agree, GM still seems to be lagging in this avenue....I had a Mazada 6 rental a little while ago, and I know the Acura TL has it also along with most VW's....Why can't GM get on this bandwagon....It certainly is a lot more convienient to have the key and fob integrated into one piece.

#28 ·
BuckyFan - Do you mean this is an item you have order seperately? Or is there now a usb plub in on the new deck's? I was thinking I would just use a two way 3.5mm jack and run it from the headphone jack on my IPOD to the input on the deck in the car....Will this not work? I have seen the cable's at Target and I think they are about $10.

#30 ·
I had an 06 Mazda 6 with the switch blade key and intergrated buttons. I thought it sucked. Every so often it would open in your pocket and the key would stab you. I prefer the seperate key fob, because the keys tend not to be as big and fit in a pocket better.

#31 ·
I agree. My uncle's VW New Beetle has the switchblade, and I drive him everywhere when he's in for a visit, much of the time in his car. The key is a bulky thing, can't be separated from the fob portion (I can stow my fob separately if / when I choose), and is in general, annoying.

#32 ·
I guess there are cases for both points of view....Never really thought about the whole key opening in your pocket. I can see how that would be annoying.

I guess I was just excited by something different when I drove the mazda for a about 2 weeks.

Good points made though.

Actually now that I think about it, and because I do not have a remote start on my GP right now, I kept my ignition key seperate in order to run out and start my car in the winter time. Than (before GM diabled this function) I was able to lock my doors with the key fob and have a piece of mind in knowing my car could be running with doors locked.

#33 ·
the part is gone, i talked to a gm accessory rep and he said he couldn't find it in their system either. i wonder if they got ahead of themselveS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.