Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Changing Air Filter 2010 malibu

22K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  02gt87 
#1 ·
Hey,

What's the trick in changing the air filter in a 2010 LT. I see the two silver clips at the top of the cover. I pulled them back, but the cover doesn't lift up enough.

I managed to pull the old filter out and slide the new one in, but i'm not sure the cover is back on that great

Any suggestions?

Thanks
qUf069

#2 ·
Yes -- You can take the cover off by unscrewing the fastener that is nearer the engine. Unscrewing it loosens it and allows the cover to pop up/back, and then weasel out. This is the front driver side of the airbox, with the circular opening. That is where the air exits the airbox.

It is still a tight squeeze.

Make sure you fit the box back in properly, also. There was/is smoe issue and some of us (me included) had it on but not 100% proper at first. The airbox goes in front of the car first, and snaps in to there the tabs on the sides fit in the little slots perfectly. Then the metal tabs fit in.

I did exactl what you did the first time, and drove around with the front not seated properly for a while. Not terrible/disastrous but not great/optimal either.

#3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply chicago.

in regards to the fastener, do you mean to losen the screw that clamps down the big hose to the airbox? I didn't see anything else that can be "losened"

Do i then remove the bog hose from the airbox?
Thanks
Quaf

#4 ·
You may also want to unplug the MAF connector to get more movement, and to reduce the risk to the wiring or sensor.

With my V6 all I do is unplug the MAF, pop the two metal snaps, then pull the lid up and toward the back of the car. I leave it attached to the hose and don't have to use any tools. Putting the lid back on is a little bit of a chore since they didn't make it easy to line up the tabs at the front of the car, and since it's under the radiator support. But once you've messed with it a time or two it's not so bad.

I replaced my filter with a K&N drop-in. Was gonna do it on my last car and never did, but this time I got one early. Unlike the original paper element that has a little tab on it to make sure it goes in only one way, the K&N doesn't have the tab. But it's easy to figure out the right way.

#5 ·
I don't really have anything constructive to add other than: Pop the two clips, weasel it out (carefully though of course).

I'm not sure why it seems so many people go to great lengths to get this thing out (Unplugging the MAF, unscrewing parts of the hose, etc etc). Then, to get it back it seems to be a pain...

Every single time I've done it (both on the G6 and the Malibu), I've just popped the clips, weaseled it out a little, got the filters switched, and closed it back up. I even asked my shop guy to check if the box was on tight and every time it has been closed properly.

The only thing I can suggest in regards to whether the box is closed correctly or not is if the clips clip on easily (i.e. you don't have to put much pressure and there is a very audible 'Snap!'), then it's likely on there just like normal. If the clips don't go on easily (i.e. if you'd need Hulk Hogan to get them on) and/or if there is barely any snapping sound, then you might want to try again.

Most likely it's on fine though. To me, it kind of seems like one of those things where you'll know if something doesn't feel right...

#6 ·
I don't really have anything constructive to add other than: Pop the two clips, weasel it out (carefully though of course).
Agreed. I did this one the same way. The first couple of times might be hard, but after several times practiced it, you should be able to replace the filter with just poping out the two clips.
It does need some care to put it back in correctly. Just push it down and slide the cover forward, to make sure it locked in correctly. I admitted that I had done it wrong the first two times.

#7 ·
When I bought my Malibu, it was preowned. I remember changing the air filter the first time within a week of ownership and observed something that pissed me off.

The whole air filter was not seated right, there was a little tab on one side of the long end of the filter where it seats into a little space on the filter box (if I remember correctly, closest to the driver's seat, I guess, to help you visualize). Needless to say, the filter was put on backwards, with the little tab pointing towards the front of the car. Naturally, a lot of little stones and debris was embedded into the gasket of the filter, which probably let in a lot of debris into the engine.

I put the replacement filter on right, so make sure you do too. And yes, it is a little tedious to install a new filter because of the surroundings and tight spaces, and where the tabs/slots for the filter box are on the 3.6L. But I can't wait until I have to change a headlight bulb. If I have to do that, I might as well part the car out (since I have to dissassemble the car) and sell it piece by piece to get as much money back and never buy a GM vehicle again.

#8 ·
Just changed the air filter on my V6 and noticed there is a clip along the front of the airfilter box just under the hose. Atleast there used to be. The morons at the oil change place must have broken it off when they tried to check the filter because there is a black plastic bracket, but no clip. Stupid Valvoline bstards. Now I have to find a way to secure the box to prevent dirt form entering.

#10 ·
The front of the box has a plastic housing (correct word?) which looks like the ones where the metal clips attach, except no metal clip. I read the article, I don't agree with the gravity theory for the cover because the engine is sucking air from above the filter, so dust or dirt could still be sucked into the engine. Sure, most dirt will show up on the lower part of the filter, but how much is making it past? I ended up putting a wood screw throught the side to hold it down. I might have to put a sticker on the air box that says please don't touch, you morons. I won't go into the time the oil change people put one extra quart of oil in my last car. Where do they find these people?

#12 ·
Thanks. I feel stupid. Extremely easy once you know the latch is there. Previous people must no have attached it. Strange, because there is a plastic piece where a metal latch could be attached. Didn't make much sence though because it was under the hose and would be near impossible to get to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.