Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will these tires fit?

20K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  sassandclass 
#1 ·
I have stock LTZ wheels with the original 225/50/18 tires. Will 235/50/18’s fit without rubbing? How about 245/40/18’s? These tires would be mounted on my stock rims. I am looking for snow tires on CL and have found some deals on those sizes.

Thanks, CoKTM

#2 ·
You're aware that for snow tires, you really want them narrower not wider?

RwP

#4 ·
I agree that a narrower is better. But I am not having any luck finding a good used 18 in tire that is narrower (or even the same size). A wider snow tire (Blizzak) will still be much better than my stock “performance” tires. I’m looking for information from anyone who has changed their tire size to see if these other tires will fit without rubbing anything in the fender wells.

Thanks, CoKTM

#6 ·
#8 ·
Heh.

If I had to buy snow tires, I'd not cheap out on them personally. That was what I was driving at.

Then again, good All Weather tires here work a treat, we normally only get snow on the TV when it happens to you guys.

(Had a bunch this year, though - my Cougar with the new-to-it tires did good going up and down the streets, MUCH better than the trucks with the lugs-fer-tires some run ...)

RwP

#12 ·
Before this turns into anything let's get something clear. If anyone wants to refute what another says they should provide clear evidence of why they believe the original statement is not accurate. That will set the stage for a discussion instead of an argument. Lacking any facts in any further posts will result in them being deleted. Lacking any civility will result in vacations.

I don't get paid for this and I ain't a babysitter. :(

#14 ·
Evidence for "narrower is better" - there's anecdotal such as at http://forums.audiworld.com/archive/index.php/t-354407.html , recommendations from tire companies such as at http://www.talontire.com/wintertiretips.html , the explaination at http://www.f150online.com/forums/wheels-tires-brakes/51652-tire-width-snow-ice.html ( the narrow width cuts through the slush down to the pavement better being narrow - and despite what MalibuKen says, typically, for X PSI to hold the car up, there's the same amount of rubber - but is the contact patch long and skinny or short and wide? Still the same rubber on the ground), notes at TireRack's forum at http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1126453 - oh, several sources.

Now for the logic behind it.

When driving on dry pavement, you want a square or slightly wider than square tire patch so that you have better traction (more exposed) for maximum grip during heavy acceleration and decelleration. The reason is so that there's more rubber gripping and less obscured by the front rubber sliding (which can cause a loss of friction of the surface the tire's just deposited its rubber on, so the tire behind the initial patch will glide over the shed rubber compound ... )

Now, for SNOW tires - it's a different matter. First off, the rubber needs to stay flexible and pliable in colder weather. This usually means it won't last as long.

But to maximize the benefits of the weight of the car, a long skinny patch will tend to help cut through the surface slush and glaze with the weight of the car, allowing the rubber to actually GET to the pavement instead of gliding on the surface glaze. It does this by having the car's weight on a narrower patch - no, it doesn't increase the actual PSI of the rubber contacting the road, since the rubber patch AREA is the same, but the longer length means more weight goes over any particular unit of width than with a wide tire.

(Huh? Well, two ton vehicle, each tire is supporting about 1,000 pounds. If the tire is 10 inches wide, each inch of width supports 100 pounds per tire. If it's 5 inches wide on the ground, each inch of width supports 200 pounds per tire ... and as the car is rolling, that increased weight will help cut down through the slush.) (Note: Sizes and weights picked for easy math. Feel free to do it with the actual numbers.)

Driven - was that factual enough? If not, let me know - I'll dig up SAE studies if you wish. They're out there.

RwP

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.