Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Possible Cost of Bumper Repair

52K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Mike7143 
#1 ·
I often forget how low the front of the car really is and as a result Ive messed up the bumper on a parking stopper -.-. Is there anyway to fix it or would it just be cheaper to get a used bumper with less damage and have it re-painted.

It does look much more noticeable in person.

See less See more
#2 ·
Fixing it with filler will never be the same, and might not be much cheaper. I'd just get a new OEM bumper cover and have it painted and swap it out. IMO the Malibu is not really low, but I am used to real low cars (Camaro/Speed3). Just gotta be more careful.

Good luck.

#5 ·
It's called the front fascia. Just a big piece of plastic. Not particularly difficult to replace & you'll save some if you DIY. Paint job costs more than the part. Or you could do what I did & put a front cover (older term=bra) over it for 65 bucks. I covered up a $2600 (repair estimate) problem completely. The black bra also reduces your lidar reflectivity somewhat if that matters to you.

#8 · (Edited)
in my neck of the woods I would say this would be a grand (canadian), basically a new bumper and paint. however, I saw a few used bu bumpers on eBay that were priced pretty low and the shipping was free in states.

not sure if this is what you need, but this looks like a hell of a deal: http://cgi.ebay.ca/FRONT-BUMPER-COVER-malibu-w-o-fog-lamp-/400182300661?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model:Malibu&hash=item5d2cb94ff5#ht_3038wt_901

Probably cheaper to paint than a new one because there's no existing paint to remove.

You guys got it good in US....we rarely get free shipping to Canada, not on items that large anyway. And don't get me started on customs and brokerage charges :(:mad:

#9 ·
If that is all the damage on the fascia many body shops have plastic welders that they can actually plastic weld the tear and use a special filler to repair the damage.That is how alot of reconditioned fascias are repaired that are used by many insurance companies on damage estimates.You being in the LA area I'm sure you can find a shop that uses aplastic welder.An insurance company probably would use a reconditioned one instead of new even on a vehicle as new as yours.I hope this is helpful in you being able to fix it as inexpensive as possible.......

#11 ·
My experience:
When I was considering my options for front end repair I found a new primed front fascia online for about $130 shipped. I've no idea what the paint job would have cost locally (small town with one body shop). Since I have the GM service manual on DVD, I looked up what's involved for the R&R & it looked relatively painless. I probably could have DIY'ed it for $300-400. (Unfortunately for me, my RF fender also got clipped on the front end which added a whole nother level to the repair. Thus the bra cover-up solution for now. Looks fine in spite of the opinion of the fashion police. If you have a kid like mine that you mistakenly allow to drive your car, the front end will no doubt just get clobbered again anyway).

In your case, the plastic repair technique may be less money & look good as new. If you do go that route, I'd like to hear how it it turned out.

#13 · (Edited)
Along the same lines, some douche stabbed me in the front with a trailer hitch. I assume it's just going to be easier/cheaper to buy a new primed front piece, have it painted, and put it on while swapping all my other parts? Don't even know how a shop would fix it. Any tips on where to find cheap parts? Rockauto.com has what I think I need here for only $37.89... any other places? I assume that even if I don't have fogs the front cover will have cutouts for them regardless of whether I had the option or not?

This thread here seems to have links on how to do it, hopefully it's not too hard. Both headlights are working, but should I replace those while I'm doing this anyway?

I'm so ticked off. I know the truck that did it. If I see it parked out there again I'll get the plate number, but I don't really know what I could do about it besides confront him. Deductible probably isn't worth it... ashholes. I couldn't fit in the driveway and parked behind him KNOWINGLY leaving him plenty of effing room.

I guess a positive is that I won't have those plugs where the front plate holder used to be...

#14 ·
If you talk to him will he be reasonable or will he flat out deny he's responsible and get hostile? If you think he'll get hostile then opt for a different solution, which I won't post here. I'm not a lawyer and prefer not to give any kind of legal advice, so speak to one at some point so you know your options, even if you choose to just drop it.

In a similar vein I had a '97 Pontiac Grand Prix that a drunk neighbor knocked the passenger mirror off of one weekend. After a couple months I finally found them at their vehicle and confronted them. They promised to pay for it and before I could collect they moved. The truck was registered in Texas to a woman with a bogus address, and they were illegal aliens. Hmmm, options, options...

But of course I ended up eating the whole thing. I hope that isn't how it turns out for you.

#15 · (Edited)
I don't actually know the guy personally, I just would recognize the truck if I saw it and would have to confront the person. I think I'm gonna have to suck it up and fix it myself. For the life of me don't know why there are prices for the facia online between $40 and $400. I assume the one on rockauto is absolutely bare, I'd have to get it painted and then transfer over the emblem, grill components, fog blanks, etc. I'd hope it wouldn't be too hard, but then again... I may hold off for a bit, it's not THAT bad a stab as what I originally thought it looked. Maybe at least snag a facia for the $40 price tag in case they're gone. People... some of them are crazy. Never know what you'll run up across. Interesting story on your mirror, wow!

EDIT: Son of a.... sure it's $40, but shipping is $183. Maybe better off with pick-a-part... local place prices $40 for bumper cover with grille, take your tools and get it yourself though. Then I'd have to have it stripped and repainted unless I could magically find a golden pewter metallic! Decisions decisions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.