Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Replacement catalytic converter failed.

12K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  applianceguy 
#1 ·
:( I bought a replacement, bolt it right up, Catalytic converer .., on-line, from Partstrain, (Catco brand)and I had it on there only about 9 months, and the "check engine" light began to come on again, and give the trouble code for inefficient catalytic converter. I took it to auto zone to have them read the codes, and they are the ones that told me that the catalytic converter was failing.

So, I took it to the local auto shop, and they tell me that there are converters with one brick inside, and then there are the 2 brick kind, that are a more "Heavy duty" type. I was probably sold the one brick type, because of the low price, and that is why it is failing again, because there are no other trouble codes.

What a hassle, as I have been trying to get Partstrain to give me a refund, but they will not do this until I send back the defective cat. How am I gonna do that?? Do they expect me to drive around open header??

Anyway..., I have vented. Has anyone else bought on-line catalytic converters?? what has been your experience??

#2 ·
Never heard of CATCO before I saw them in the RockAuto catalog.

I'm slow and dense - I tend to stick with companies I've heard of (Magnaflow, Walker, AC Delco, etc.)

I've got two Magnaflows to go on the Cougar, but so far I'm running the factory exhaust on my Malibu (need to update, I've past 322Kmiles now ... )

RwP

#3 ·
I took it to auto zone to have them read the codes, and they are the ones that told me that the catalytic converter was failing.
Your problem likely is a straight forward CAT failure because of cheap construction BUT.......

It is also possible that the engine is not running right and the CAT is being "burned out" or contaminated with oil. Running way rich or way lean can cause it over a long period.....as can pumping oil, over a fairly short time.

You aren't in the habit of putting a lot of additives in your fuel, are you ??

#4 · (Edited)
No additives.., and I had them do an in-warranty re-build at 38,000 because of the rod knock (Common complaint on these motors) So no oil usage.

I ordered one from "Rock Auto" It is a magnaflow brand for less than what I paid for my catco brand. I feel a little more confident in a trusted name brand part like maganflow. The only code that I am getting, is in-efficient converter.., and nothing else, so even the mechanic shop says that it is the catalytic converter has dis integrated internally, and you can hear pieces rattling inside. I think that it was probably fractured during shipping, as the box it came in was kinda beat up. I look forward to getting the name brand one in the mail, and if the box is damaged, I am sending it back.

#5 ·
Aftermarket cats are notorious for setting efficiency codes on OBDII vehicles. The cat didn't exactly fail but the rear O2 sensor is seeing too much activity since there is insufficient substrate in the converter. You get what you pay for. I think Walker has a line for California use only, their other converter line is only 49 state certified, that says something right there. See how you make out with the Magnaflow converter. This is a common issue, see it quite often.

#6 ·
I installed the Magnaflow cat from Rock auto today.., and Voila!!! what a difference!! I have noticeably better throttle response, and no funny smells from the exhaust. I am waiting to see if mileage improves. I highly recommend this one (Magnaflow) as it is just a better quality product than the Catco one that I had installed in Nov. 2010. (It definitely was clogging!) Man I have been wasting sooo much gas with that other one!!

#9 ·
Did you ever look at scan data to make sure fuel trim isn't out of whack? Was the odor from the exhaust present from day one when the Catco converter was installed? Just makes me wonder if the cat isn't getting too hot, sounds like maybe the brick was overheated causing a restriction. The brick being loose would definitely be a good cause for restricting the exhaust, however if you bought the cat in late '10 and this is mid '12, if it were defective out of the box, you should have had symptoms earlier I would think.

#10 · (Edited)
No the 1st year was okay.., but there was a noticeable surging in the engine, even with steady throttle. kinda like a lean, then rich condition., but when I had received it in the box.., the box was damaged, and it did have a noticeable rattle to it then.
Everything else checks ok. I did replace both O2 sensors, thinking that it was not reading correctly, but this did not fix the problem. The shop told me that there are two types of converters.., a one brick and a two brick, and this one was probably under rated for my application. There was no bluing on the converter body, and when I took it off, it did not rattle. I checked that , as the auto shop told me that it was disintegrating. It is probably a ball of goo inside.
A very noticeable better running engine with the new converter!! Thank you Rock Auto!!.., and thank you everyone on this forum for your help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.