Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Install auto start ????????? 2009 LT

30K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  tremain.roseman 
#1 ·
I called the dealer to see if my car could have autostart installed. They said that the car already had it installed I needed to buy the keyless remotes with the start button and have them set it up. Cost was 250 ish. Anyone know if I can do this my self? The remote is avalible online for about 50.
Thanks.

#2 ·
As far as I'm aware you probably could.. the majority of the cost is labour having them activate the system and program the remotes.

#4 ·
Correct. You need the new remotes and the dealer has to reflash the car's computer to turn the feature on and program the remotes.

It's not something you can do on your own, as it requires the dealer tech tool to flash the car. But otherwise, it's just getting the new remotes--either on your own, ordering, or direct from the dealer--and having it done.

#3 ·
Find out how to program the remotes, and you're set. If you can't program them (or find a how-to anywhere) I'd suggest just taking it into the dealer and have them do the 250 job.

#10 ·
Can you let me know if this actually worked?? I would like to do the same thing if it did! I also have an 09 LT1, and it I can tell that it has the remote start provisions. I figured that i would just need the remote, but wasnt sure.

Thanks in advance!

#6 ·
Will this work for my 09 LS? I've been pulling my hair out trying to find a decent remote starter at a decent price. Because of the bypass and so on, everyone is quoting me 350 to 650 bucks.

#7 ·
From what I've heard in various places, the LS was not manufactured with the remote start preparations.. and because the modern cars have so many security features, it's not as easy or cheap as it was years ago to just add the feature. Because it's not as easy as the thread-starter's LT which only needed the system to be activated, I would expect having a whole new remote-start function installed would cost around $400ish (That's what my Chevy dealer quoted me when I enquired on my old SS Cobalt).

#8 ·
I stopped by GM-Knoxville (trip to K-town, y'know, gotta have fun in the Malibu) and asked them to quote me on remote start out of curiosity (I do not find a purpose for the function in my activities, actually, so I was only doing so for you guys) and they said my 2008 LS would require an entire system build, which would run 325 before any taxes or additional labor costs if they ran into an issue.

The "ran into an issue" part kind of made me iffy..this is a car that is supposed to save the General and they do not even know how to work on the most basic trim? :eek:

#9 ·
Why would you think they would know what issues would come up if somebody asked for this? This is an out of the ordinary request. Most people who buy the base level car do not want a remote start. You were probably the first or second person who asked and nobody has done it yet.

Bill

#14 · (Edited)
I know this has been discussed and discussed but I am getting very mixed messages.

I've read several threads and some are saying your Malibu is "Remote Start Ready" if it has AP8 listed on the build codes. Mine does not but my owners manual says that if my remotes have a "+" symbol on the back of them then the car is "Remote Start Ready".

Can anyone confirm either way. Anyone have an LS without A08 but with the "+" symbol on the rear of their remotes and have been able to add enable factory remote start? (I know the remote start remotes are required and the dealer will need to enable).

Thanks

#15 ·
A buddy of mine installed one on my 2010 LS for under $200. He said its an Omega and a really good one with a distance of 1500 feet. His shop/store is in utica, michigan. He also posted this on his facebook the other day... "Come to CIVIC AUDIO in Utica to get your REMOTE STARTER. Hurry in before we have a wait. Starting at $99 most new cars with bypass starting at $179. Call 586 739-0700 for appointment."

So if anyone in the Detroit metro area wants it done give him a call.

#17 ·
I found an Excalibur Omega Deluxe add on remote start system on Amazon.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Excalibur-Deluxe-Add-On-Remote-System/dp/B004HM7ZQ4[/ame]

I'm not sure if it is the same one you have krisnicaj but if it is I would be really interested to know if you have tried out any of the features that Amazon says it has. Unbelievable! :eek:

#18 ·
I just picked up my 2011 Malibu LTZ, traded in my 09 cobalt SS.

Anyways, you guys should consider taking advantage of DEIs RXT feature, basically you buy the remotes from them that you like, Then you get their RF module and antenna, and a bypass kit. You can even get the 2-way remotes. This requires MUCH less wiring, and any novice can do it (granted they have access to someone who can program their modules). You hook up three wires to the OBD2 port from the bypass kit(you have to use the DBALL model), the three wires are data, and 12v+ and ground. The RF module will send signals to the car that the OEM remote sends. This is good for those that just want an easy to install remote start and be able to lock/unlock from FAR away.

#19 ·
Well to answer the question that was asked, no your car is not remote start ready. If you look up your car by your VIN and it has the code allowing for a factory remote start from GM, then yes you can. If you don't have it, then usually you cannot. However there are plenty of aftermarket auto starts out on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.