Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adding remote start - 08-09

6K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  HottestZ28 
#1 ·
I apologize if this has been covered, I searched but it didn't sound like anyone had done the remote start themselves.

From what I've gathered so far it looks like all you have to do is purchase the remote and access the ecu to switch on the remote start feature. Is this correct? If so, what have dealers been charging for the programming part? Anyone know if it's just a matter of using a obd tool to switch it on?

Thanks

#6 ·
You might want to be careful too since your messing with electrical stuff. If you splice the wrong wire or something wrong happens with your electrical system down the road the dealer might point to the fact you messed around with the cars internal electric system to install your remote start and void your warrantee . That happened on my '02 Malibu, and those things are full of electric problems straight from the dealer (search '02 Malibu Theft System for a long list of complaints) I bought it still under warrantee but the guy forgot to tell me he had put in the remote start by himself. When I had electric problems with the car in '04ish the car was still under warrantee but the dealer voided it because the electric system had been messed around with. Its worth a quick call to your dealer.

#7 ·
Not the case here. Remote start is typically a factory feature BUT if you don't get it that way, they offer it as an accessory consisting of 2 new remotes AND the dealer flashing the BCM to have remote start turned on and working.

Very simple and without wires, etc., but requires a dealer.

#8 ·
Looking to do this for my wife for her birthday. I got her an 08 LT and want to get her remote start
what do the trasmitters cost and I have connections at a chevy dealer and would they know how to add this program to the car? Is it like hook the scan tool up and select remote start?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.