Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GM to offer radios with ports for music players

6K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Truitt 
#1 ·
New Radios!

Did anyone see this today on MSNBC?

DETROIT - General Motors Corp. says it will offer optional radios with USB ports for personal music players on some of its 2009 models.

The new radios will allow customers to play music from iPods or MP3 players while charging many of the devices through a USB port like the ones found on most computers.

The new radios are available now on the Chevrolet Cobalt and HHR and the Pontiac G5. By the middle of the model year, they will extend to the Pontiac G6 and Solstice, the Saturn Sky and Aura, and the Chevrolet Malibu.

On many of music players, including inexpensive ones, customers will be able to browse through the player's library using the radio controls and electronic display.

Kind of make me mad that it isn't already on the '09!

Oh well, still a great car!

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: New Radios!

Yup, I heard about this a few weeks ago. IMO, the Camaro's set up is much better, you can plug your iPod in, stick it in the center console, and control the iPod through the audio controls of the stereo. The radio in the Cobalt is literally just the current corporate switchgear with a USB port added. Doesn't look very good, but at least it's there.

#3 ·

I am wondering how the ipod link for the current stereo setup works?

#4 ·

I am wondering how the ipod link for the current stereo setup works?
You have two options. One is through the aux. jack located in the Malibu switchgear. Another is the PAL system.

#6 ·

finally!

wonder if you can browse thougth folders/albums using steering wheel controls. The current navigation is not bad though.

I am not green with envy though. MP3 CD, even a signle one seem to work for me nicely.

#7 ·

finally!

wonder if you can browse thougth folders/albums using steering wheel controls. The current navigation is not bad though.

I am not green with envy though. MP3 CD, even a signle one seem to work for me nicely.
You should be able to, at least that's how it works on the Camaro.

#8 ·
Wish my car had this.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26460088/

DETROIT - General Motors Corp. says it will offer optional radios with USB ports for personal music players on some of its 2009 models.

The new radios will allow customers to play music from iPods or MP3 players while charging many of the devices through a USB port like the ones found on most computers.

The new radios are available now on the Chevrolet Cobalt and HHR and the Pontiac G5. By the middle of the model year, they will extend to the Pontiac G6 and Solstice, the Saturn Sky and Aura, and the Chevrolet Malibu.

On many of music players, including inexpensive ones, customers will be able to browse through the player's library using the radio controls and electronic display.

GM began offering auxiliary input jacks for MP3 players and other audio devices two years ago, but those inputs didn't allow the device to recharge or allow the vehicle's radio to control the music player.

Several other automakers have had USB ports in their vehicles for a year or more, including Ford Motor Co.'s Sync system developed jointly with Microsoft Corp.

Pricing of the new GM radios will vary by model. Specific figures were not available.

#10 ·
Can the '08 radios take ACC (Data) disks, instead of the basic .wmv / .mp3 formats? I am sure the newer ones can, but does anyone know if the '08s can? I'd try it myself but it'd be a waste of a CD if it doesn't.

#15 ·
I went ahead and made a data (ACC) disk just out of curiosity, and the radio rejected it with a "Cannot Read Disk" error so I would guess that was a no :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.