Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spare Tire/Wheel

7K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Grabow13 
#1 ·
I bought a 2009 Malibu LTZ used. I guess the spare tire is an option, so I am lucky mine came with one. However, I recently had a blowout of my right, rear 18" Goodyear OEM tire and I had to put on the spare. That's when I discovered that the spare my car had in the truck is a tiny 16" job. The car has the factory jack (as shown in the owners manual) so I assume the donut spare was a Chevy factory part too. However, it is MUCH smaller overall diameter than the stock wheel/tire. Fortunately, it only had to get me about 3 miles down the road. It didn't feel right, and the brakes were not working correctly with the tiny spare wheel on. Why the heck doesn't Chevy provide a correct sized dount spare (i.e., overall same wheel/tire diameter as the OEM full size)??? This is my only complaint. I love my Malibu. But this is bulls!@@

I am going to hit the junk yards and look for an 18" donut from a Chryler 300C or Dodge Charger/Challenger. If I find an 18" Chysler donut, I am going to buy a 5x110 to 5x115 adapter spacer so I can use it on my Malibu. Then, I will at least have something that can get me back to my hometown from across the state if I have another blowout.

Coop

#3 ·
I trust the compact spare to be just that, a temporary spare to get to a repair shop. If you were to travel across the state with the spare tire on, you'd better have a secondary backup. I for one plan to start carrying tire sealant cans once my OnStar runs out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.