Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

P0010 light still on after camshaft position sensor change

237K views 69 replies 19 participants last post by  repairman54 
#1 · (Edited)
The check engine light comes and goes. fault code P0010 is the only one showing up on the scanner. So I changed the camshaft position sensor with a part from Advance Auto. The light continued to come and go so I put an AC Delco part in there 213-1690 thinking I had a bad one from Advance. The light is still coming on.

I checked the CMP actuator solenoid connector & measured the resistance across the two pins. It reads 12.8ohms. Is that good?

What should I be checking next?

'08 malibe with 2.4l.

Thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
The MIL coming & going tells you it's an intermittent problem (which makes the cheese more binding). For the 10 code, the CMP actuator solenoids (intake in your case) are the usual culprit. 8-12 ohms is nominal. It's also possible to have an intermittent in the harness or connector. There is more than one thread on this issue if you want more info. If you want to do more testing, there's this:

Service Information
2008 Chevrolet Malibu | Malibu (VIN Z) Service Manual | Document ID: 1885110
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DTC P0010 or P0013
Diagnostic Instructions
• Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle prior to using this diagnostic procedure.

• Review Strategy Based Diagnosis for an overview of the diagnostic approach.

• Diagnostic Procedure Instructions provides an overview of each diagnostic category.

DTC Descriptors
DTC P0010: Intake Camshaft Position (CMP) Actuator Solenoid Control Circuit

DTC P0013: Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) Actuator Solenoid Control Circuit

Diagnostic Fault Information
Circuit
Short to Ground
Open/High Resistance
Short to Voltage
Signal Performance

Intake CMP Actuator Solenoid Control
P0010
P0010
P0010
P0011

Intake CMP Actuator Low Reference
--
P0010
--
--

Exhaust CMP Actuator Solenoid Control
P0013
P0013
P0013
P0014

Exhaust CMP Actuator Low Reference
--
P0013
--
--

Circuit/System Description
The camshaft position (CMP) actuator is attached to each camshaft and is hydraulically operated in order to change the angle of the camshaft relative to crankshaft position (CKP). The CMP actuator solenoid is controlled by the control module. The control module sends a pulse width modulated 12-volt signal to a CMP actuator solenoid. The solenoid controls the amount of engine oil flow to a CMP actuator. The CMP actuator can change the camshaft angle a maximum of 25 degrees. The control module increases the pulse width to accomplish the desired camshaft operation.

Conditions for Running the DTC
The engine is running.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
The ECM detects an open, short to ground, or a short to voltage on the high control circuit or an open on the low reference circuit for more than 0.25 second.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
DTCs P0010 and P0013 are Type B DTCs.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC
DTCs P0010 and P0013 are Type B DTCs.

Reference Information
Schematic Reference
Engine Controls Schematics

Connector End View Reference
Component Connector End Views

Electrical Information Reference

• Circuit Testing

• Connector Repairs

• Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections

• Wiring Repairs

Scan Tool Reference
Control Module References for scan tool information

Circuit/System Verification
Ensure the vehicle has the proper oil viscosity.
Observe the engine oil level. The engine oil level should be within the operating range.
Allow the engine to reach operating temperature.
Command each CMP actuator to 25 percent. The CMP actuator angle desired parameter should match the CMP actuator actual parameter.
Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data.
Circuit/System Testing
Ignition OFF, disconnect the CMP actuator solenoid harness connector at the CMP actuator solenoid.
Test for less than 5 ohms between the low reference circuit terminal B and ground.
⇒ If greater than the specified range, test the low reference circuit for an open/high resistance.

Verify that a test lamp does not illuminate between the low reference circuit terminal B and the control circuit terminal A.
⇒ If the test lamp illuminates, test the control circuit for short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

Remove the test lamp.
Command the CMP Actuator Sol. ON with a scan tool. Verify the scan tool CMP Sol Ckt Short Gnd Test status is OK.
⇒ If not the specified value, test the control circuit for a short to ground. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

Install a 3A fused jumper wire between the control circuit terminal A and the low reference circuit terminal B. Command the CMP Actuator Sol. ON with a scan tool. Verify the scan tool CMP Sol Ckt Short Gnd Test status is Fault.
⇒ If not the specified value, test the control circuit for an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM.

If all circuits test normal, test or replace the CMP actuator solenoid.
Component Testing
Measure the resistance of each CMP actuator solenoid valve assembly. Resistance should be between 8-12 ohms.
Connect a jumper wire between the CMP actuator low reference circuit at the solenoid and a good ground. Connect a fused jumper wire to the CMP actuator high control circuit at the solenoid. Momentarily touch the fused jumper to B+. Observe the spool valve inside the CMP actuator. The spool valve should move from fully closed to fully opened position.
Repair Instructions
Perform the Diagnostic Repair Verification after completing the diagnostic procedure.

• Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement

• Control Module References for replacement, setup, and programming
© 2011 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

#3 · (Edited)
The check engine light comes and goes. fault code P0010 is the only one showing up on the scanner. So I changed the camshaft position sensor with a part from Advance Auto. The light continued to come and go so I put an AC Delco part in there 213-1690 thinking I had a bad one from Advance. The light is still coming on.

I checked the CMP actuator solenoid connector & measured the resistance across the two pins. It reads 12.8ohms. Is that good?
Why did you put a sensor in it when you probably need the actuator solenoid? How long was the part you put in? Should have had screens at the end of it. Part should have been maybe 3" long and a two wire connector. The number you gave is for a cam position sensor. I think 12646783 is more like what you need. That may not be a correct number but it's the right part. 213-1690 should have had a 3 wire connector.

#4 ·
Greenman, thanks for that info!

Rodents,
I talked with a local mechanic about it and he said it was a worth a shot. The CMP actuator solenoid read 12.8ohms. When they go bad, they are normally way out of spec. The first sensor was returned and the second was bought off ebay for about $25 so I'm not out a lot of money.

Last night I cleaned the connectors for the solenoid and then reset the fault code. I made a run to town (15 miles) to pick up some things and come home. The check engine light hasn't come back on yet. If it does, I'm going shopping on ebay for a solenoid...

#10 ·
The CMP actuator solenoid read 12.8ohms. When they go bad, they are normally way out of spec.
You have an intermittent code, and your statement above is correct that when they go bad they are way out of spec. BUT, if you actually catch the component failing when you test it for proper resistance is the thing. Even then there are no absolute guarantees. In your case, specified resistance is 5 to 9 ohms and you measured 12.8. For some reason I remember that resistance spec being higher like in the 8 or 9 to 14 ohm range maybe but anyway, you are close to spec. Now, next you have to look at your possible causes and that may be tough if you're not in a shop environment or have a manual of some sort to look at. In this case you have an actuator, a wiring issue or a PCM. PCM's are pretty reliable so I'd put that on the back burner. Wiring, look as best you can for a pinched or abraded wire, rodent chewing, corrosion, something not normal for as much of the circuit as you can get to. If that looks good, you're left with the component. Now even though the resistance is within or close to spec, you need to question the component itself. In my experience I, way too often, don't see the component actually fail. Sometimes it just comes down to a hunch, especially if it's a new concern on a vehicle, you have no historical experience to fall back on.

Right now there is a huge issue with fretting corrosion, not just with GM but since that's what I see all day usually, I'll stick with them. A lot of trouble codes are triggered by resistance being out of spec by very small amounts, less than a couple ohms can make a difference quite often. Air bag codes are common. Touch the connector sometimes and the code clears. Work the connector a few times and put some dielectric grease on it and see if it resets. If you've done that and the code resets, then you have to decide what you're going to throw at it unless the code starts to set more frequently or you get lucky and catch the fault occuring. In this case the actuators are a problem and you'll most likely be good to go after you put it in.

As an example of times a resistance check may not prove much even tough it's in spec when you check it is a heated seat not working. Usually 2 to 4 ohms of resistance give or take. I've measured 4 ohms and sometimes 5 or 6 ohms and not giving it much thought went on to look elsewhere, when all along it was a bad heater element. It might check great with a meter and when it's forced to work with a button press, maybe the way it moves with a person in the seat or micro-arcing, the working resistance changes such that the control module shuts it off. It's really bad but checks good resistance wise in a static check.

Fuel injectors are another good example. They may measure in spec using an ohmmeter (static check), but if you check them with an injector tester and do a voltage drop test (dynamic check), you find they are really out of spec. Just a little extra explanation for those that may stumble across this thread and need a little help.

#5 ·
I've been looking to verify the CMP actuator solenoid part number. I can't find it on any engine diagrams. (gmpartsdirect and others like that) could use some help. Thanks!

#6 ·
It's not in the ACDelco online catalog as far as I could see and I don't have access to a parts catalog. Our parts guys here think they're doing us a favor when we work on customers cars, I don't bother them, even for my own stuff, if I can help it so you're on your own, sorry. The number I had was for the Equinox with a 2.4. I think it's the same for the Malibu but just double check. Try a dealer or two, did you call gmpartsdirect by any chance? The number I gave was a supercession of the number in the recall for the Equinox, so if someone references the Equinox recall, the number in the recall changes to the number I gave.

You were given bad information by the guy you spoke to but that's how it goes. Your three choices are the actuator solenoid itself, the PCM or the wiring inbetween the two. Contrary to what some people think, intermittent failure is very, very common and makes diagnosis tough especially on new issues. Sure you can check the resistance, how many fail at the time you test them? Not many. At least the vehicles I work on. Replacing the solenoid usually does the trick. It would be nice if components stayed in a failed state once they failed but they don't usually do that.

#15 ·
I called the Chevy dealer to order the Intake Camshaft position actuator solenoid and was told if it is bad, it should be covered under the 100k power train warranty. I was surprised to hear this. Of course, they have to do the work for it to be covered. I was hoping they would just give me the part and let me do it since it only take 10 mins to change out.

Any one ever get this repaired under warranty before?

Oh yeah, the check engine light went out a couple days ago and hasn't come back on.....but its done this before.

#17 ·
Make sure it's covered BEFORE you take the car in. Powertrain coverage is different depending on model year and I don't try to keep it straight, that's for the service advisor to do. If you take it in and then they tell you it's not covered, you'll have a bill to pay for looking at it. Like greenman, I wasn't aware that was covered but we'll wait for you to update us.

#18 ·
According to the information I have available to me, for General Motors vehicles from model year 1993 through 2009 the Powertrain warranty should cover;

Gasoline engines - Cylinder Block and heads, and all internal parts, intake manifold, timing gears, timing gear chain or belt and cover, flywheel, harmonic balancer, valve covers, oil pan, oil pump, engine mounts, seals, and gaskets, water pump; also turbocharger and supercharger housings and internal parts, valves, seats, and gaskets.

Transmission - Case and all internal parts, torque converter, vacuum modulator, seals and gaskets and transmission mounts, also transfer case and all internal parts, seals and gaskets.
Front Wheel Drive - Final drive housing and all internal parts, axle shafts, constant velocity joints, front hub bearings, seals and
gaskets.

Rear Wheel Drive - Axle housing and all internal parts, axle shafts, bearings, supports, seals and gaskets propeller shafts. U-joints.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

#22 ·
My light just came on today, and I called the dealer after going to Advance Auto and it came up with the Intake Cam Sensor code. He said the sensor isn't covered but the solenoid is? Is there a way to check the sensor? and if that isn't bad I guess its just worth taking to the dealer to get the solenoid replaced? What are your thoughts?

#27 · (Edited)
Just to expand on what Rodents wrote, usually, a new intake camshaft position (CMP) actuator solenoid will solve that. Other folks have gotten it replaced at no cost to them under the powertrain warranty. If your local dealer tells you it isn't covered, you might call GM customer service & take it up with them.

#26 ·
@Sorb555, here is some information as to what the Powertrain Warranty should cover for your 2008 Chevrolet Malibu.

Gasoline engines - Cylinder Block and heads, and all internal parts, intake manifold, timing gears, timing gear chain or belt and cover, flywheel, harmonic balancer, valve covers, oil pan, oil pump, engine mounts, seals, and gaskets, water pump; also turbocharger and supercharger housings and internal parts, valves, seats, and gaskets.

Transmission - Case and all internal parts, torque converter, vacuum modulator, seals and gaskets and transmission mounts, also transfer case and all internal parts, seals and gaskets.

Front Wheel Drive - Final drive housing and all internal parts, axle shafts, constant velocity joints, front hub bearings, seals and
gaskets.

If you need further assistance please, don’t hesitate to contact me.

#28 ·
I just ordered this intake camshaft position(CMP)actuator solenoid thru AutoZone after having this same code (P0010) pull up on my 2009 LS. AutoZone recommended a mechanic to install this but now Im wondering if I should go to my dealer since Im still within my powertrain warranty.

Michelle (confused female here) need your guidance, I can't tell from your post if this would be covered. Thank's.

#30 ·
I just ordered this intake camshaft position(CMP)actuator solenoid thru AutoZone
You can get an answer you can take to the bank (or credit union for folks like me ;)) by contacting your service department.
And gotta say that ordering parts that you really don't understand where they are located or what they DO.......is probably not a good habit to get into. Just sayin'. ;)

#29 ·
You can get an answer you can take to the bank (or credit union for folks like me ;)) by contacting your service department.

#35 ·
BillD64 and Michelle. Yes I will get my Bu to the dealer. Another question I have......
I suspect the P0010 code that pulled up was deleted (not at my request) as I notice my
check engine light has not returned, should I wait for the light to return before going to the dealer or is this finding stored in memory so the tech would be able to retrieve it.
Thanks again.

#37 ·
I just took my car to the dealer to have this problem fixed, and after driving for 2 hrs after I picked up the car, I got the message SVC TIRE MONITOR. Is this a coincidence or is this a new problem? I have a 2008 Malibu LT 4 cyl. Could they have messed something up while fixing my solenoid problem?

#43 ·
I finally did get my car serviced @ the dealership for P0010 code (post # 28) and greenman is spot on. This issue was fully covered under the PT warranty including the diagnostic fee. This visit to the dealership did cost me some coin since I had the injectors and coolant service done also. Yeah, yeah the dealer saw me comin'....maybe but I notice a big difference in my idle, acceleration and the AC responds quicker & colder. My Bu @ 34,000k is doing well.

#44 ·
I took my 08 Malibu LS w/ 90842 miles in today for the check engine P0010 code after reading this post and almost listing to a parts store who wanted to sell me the part they 'thought' would fix it and it turned out to be the intake actuator. Covered under the power train warranty GM labor code J0822. Thank goodness because I don't have any money left after Christmas & property taxes!!!!

#45 ·
@coral reef, thank you very much for sharing the update of the Malibu. It’s so great to read about this be covered under warranty.

I hope you have a wonder time celebrating the new year coming in. Be safe and see you next year.

I’ll be out of the office from 4:30pm EST today through 01/01/13.

#46 · (Edited)
2009 Malibu 2LT

I'm now getting P0010 with 75,000 miles (first engine light)

my light is intermittent now for 2 weeks. The car is still under warantee so i'm bringing it to the dealer tomorrow.

question: is this a very common problem on these cars? if so, can i consider myself lucky that i got 75,000 miles with no codes at all?

#48 · (Edited)
I guess i'm bumping this thread, lol. I got this P0010 code today at Autozone as well. The light came on yesterday. I bought my car in April of 2008 and it's now September of 2013 so i'm not sure i'll have any luck with it being covered under warranty. I never got any kind of extended warranty. My car is a 2008 Chevy Malibu 2LT 2.4 and has just under 59,000 miles on it.

I'm in the same boat as most people. I really don't have extra money to spend, so I want to get it fixed for as less I can.

I just called the dealer and of course they can't take anyone elses word for it. I gave them the code, but it wasn't good enough.. lol. So it would cost about $100 for them to tell me what I already know. That's without it getting fixed. And if I decide to have them fix it, the'll just charge me for the part(s) and labor and waive that $100. I'm sure you all already know this though.

Now I have to figure out what part # I need exactly so I can have someone I know do it.

EDIT: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1441621,parttype,7192

I guess i'll go to the Napa down the street and show them this and buy one. My uncle can get me a discount. Then i'll have a mechanic I know put it in for me since it's so easy to do.

#49 ·
Exhaust solenoid is 12655421 and intake is 12655420. Do both at the same time, you're right there. Very simple to do yourself if you want to save money. Take the air intake off and a single 10mm bolt holds each solenoid in. Very probable this will fix your issue but there are no guarantees. The part you have is not correct.

#51 · (Edited)
Thanks to both of you. That's exactly why I came here and asked.

Greenman: I know you gave the Dorman part numbers (# 917-216 (exhaust) & # 917-215 (intake)). Is that because that's what you recommend? And you think I should give it a shot replacing those 2 parts? It definitely looks easy.

Are those 2 pictures you posted to help illustrate the parts actually pictures of a Chevy Malibu or does it not matter because mine will look identical since I have a 2.4 engine?

This is what I found:

Dorman® OE Solutions™ - VVT Solenoid Part # 917-216
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...k=Search_917-216_1501829_4547&keyword=917-216

Dorman® OE Solutions™ - VVT Solenoid Part # 917-215
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...ck=Search_06264_1501829_-1&pt=06264&ppt=C0141

I'll take them to Nappa and see what I can get.

Also Greenman, do you have an email or something so I can contact you for a quicker response if I have a question?

#52 ·
Greenman: I know you gave the Dorman part numbers (# 917-216 (exhaust) & # 917-215 (intake)). Is that because that's what you recommend? And you think I should give it a shot replacing those 2 parts? It definitely looks easy.
we are using dormans but have yet no idea of their lifespan. they may end up being shorter than the ac/delcos. u decide for yourself.
yes. replace both & be done with it. note that occasionally the issue is in the wiring/connectors but most diyers don't have the skills needed to verify where the issue lies. it is usually the actuators themselves.

Are those 2 pictures you posted to help illustrate the parts actually pictures of a Chevy Malibu or does it not matter because mine will look identical since I have a 2.4 engine?
the same ecotec 2.4l is used in malibu, saturn aura & pontiac g6. these are sister vehicles.

Also Greenman, do you have an email or something so I can contact you for a quicker response if I have a question?
please ask all questions here so others can benefit. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.