Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

225/55R17 On a 2012 LT1?

11K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Dalecon 
#1 ·
Hi All,
Looking for some snow tires for my recently purchased 2012 Malibu LT1. It seems that it's slim pickings around here even though it isn't actually winter yet. Stock tires are 215/55R17 on the alloy rims. I know 225/50R17 is the other dealer stock option. Only thing I can find IN STOCK in either of these sizes is the Firestone Winterforce and Bridgestone Blizzak WS70. If I bump up to 225/55R17 that gives me quite a few more options. The question is will they fit with no problems? I would be using the factory alloy rims and just changing out the tires. I do realize that the speedo with be off some.

Anyone currently running this size on stock rims or equivalent?

In case it matters, I'm looking at the Continental ExtremeWinterContact, and the Michelin X-Ice Xi2.

Thanks!

#2 ·
I have 225/55/17 on my '11 with stock rims and have no issues at all. No rubbing, nothing. Going to that size really adds to the options when looking for tires. The speedometer is off by about 2 or 3 mph at 60 mph - actually going 63 when speedo reads 60. The sidewalls actually stick out a little bit past the rims so it should help to protect them from getting more curb rash too...

http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10935

#4 ·
Hey look at Michelin Xice Xi3 in 215/55/17. They are rated the best and are cheapest in the 215/55/17. I just did this research, and these are the ones I ordered. I work at Sams Club and they are $171 per tire. I would stay away from the winterforce, Blizzak wouldn't be a bad choice if they are cheaper, but the Michelin is #1.

#7 ·
Also, the 215/55/17 xice3 are cheaper than the 225/55/17. I am coming from 18" also but still went with the 215 bc of cost

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.