Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Replace 2005 Chevy Malibu License Plate lights

42K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Bargan Master 
#1 ·
Ok did a quick search and didn't find anything... It's probably simple, but how do you change the license plate lights on these 05 Malibu? Thanks in advance!

#4 ·
That's how you get the lamp out and the bulb of course as well. I tried to remember if you could just reach in, been a while since I did one on that generation of Malibu. You're going to have to pull that inside carpet back anyway to release some retainers, take a good look before you go pulling that trim piece out. If you can't get to them then take out the screws you saw and pull that trim piece out a bit and the lamp unclips from the trunk lid and you can change the bulbs then .

#7 ·
You're going to need to elaborate, we have no way of knowing what is confusing you from your post. You're working from both sides of the trunk lid, the three screws on the outside and from the inside there are retainer tabs that need to be released to remove the lamp. The link chevyguy gave you shows pictures but they are general pictures. They may help you, I don't know. The release tabs from the inside of the trunk lid, I can't tell you what they look like, been a while since I've been in one of those trunk lids.

#6 ·
#9 ·
The retaining tabs honestly I can't tell you how they will release, it should be pretty obvious when you look at it yourself. I would imagine it would be something like releasing a retaining tab on anything else, just slide the tab whatever way to release the fingers and when you go back in it should just be lining up the tabs and pressing the lamp back into position.

#11 ·
They just pull straight out but they can break no matter how careful you are, they do require some force to remove them. There are tools to help remove them but usually you can work them free by using a needle nose pliers, bent needle nose helps, or whatever you have that can slide behind the clip to pull it out. If a couple break, they aren't real expensive and several parts stores should have something that will work if not the exact part. It's only holding the trim on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.