Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heated Seats Not Working

31K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  TimoryK 
#1 ·
I have an '09 Malibu LTZ and the heated seats stopped working. A few weeks ago they got really hot and I felt like my rear was on fire. Then it won't come back on (just driver's side). The light lights up but no heat. I also noticed today that my seat belt dinger did not go off when I didn't have my seat belt on. Any suggestion or why it would be doing this???

PS New to being a Chevy owner and I LOVE my car!

#2 · (Edited)
Welcome to CMF. Generally when it happens as you described it the heated seat element burnt up. Then when one of them goes out they both go out, but only one will need to be replaced. Are you still under the bumper to bumper warranty? If so that would be covered.

As for the seat belt, there was another member on here that had the same issue intermittently. When I looked at it at work it ended up being the buckle had something wrong internally and had to be replaced.

#4 ·
If you end up replacing it yourself you will need hog rings and hog ring pliers to secure the seat cover back in place. The seat doesn't need to be taken out either to replace the element, just have to remove the trim panels on the seat. It really isn't hard to do at all though.

#6 ·
It may be possible. From the diagram it looks like if the switch lights up it has power, but since I am not looking at the car I could be wrong.

There are two fuses one in the rear fuse block, HTD Seat fuse #14 15amp fuse, and one fuse on the BCM, ROOF/HEAT SEAT 10amp fuse.

To test the element itself disconnect the green 4 pin connector on the heated seat control module under the seat (should have 3 connectors on the module). Test on the connector itself with a multimeter. Test between terminal 2 and 3 (both gray wires) for 2K-15K ohms, if out of that range the seat cushion element is bad. Also, test between terminal 1 (red wire) and 4 (Black wire) for 0.5-5 ohms, if out of that range the seat cushion element is bad.

#8 ·
I did have this happen on my impala and when it did I couldn't even sit on the seat. It was just like normal and then it just kept getting hotter, and then nothing. I never understood how it never damaged the leather. Luckily on the Malibu the heated seat element is separate from the cover making it cheaper.

#9 ·
Thanks everyone! I don't think it is a blown fuse because the light still lights up to say it is on. Like I said I felt like my bottom was going to burn as hot as it got and then it quit working altogether. Thanks for the testing information, my husband and I were just discussing that last night! Does anyone know where a set of how to's that do not involve taking out the seat. I have found one that makes you take them out. Let me know! Thanks!
TKK

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.