Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Best tires for 2010 LTZ with 18" rims?

13K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  jgilius 
#1 · (Edited)
I am shopping for tires, size 225/50/18, for my 2010 LTZ. Anyone bought tires they really liked? I know I'm staying away from the Goodyear Eagle LS2s.

Looking at:

Falken PT722
Michelin Hydroedge
Michelin Primacy MXM4
Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Michelin Pilot Super Sport (read great reviews on these)
General GMax AS-03
General Altimax RT
Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS

I just want to further update I will only be using these in dry and rainy weather, because I have dedicated winter 17" rims/tires. I would like a good tire that's pretty quiet and handles well, along with good tread wear. That might be too much to ask but I'll try.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Why staying away from the Goodyears? I had them on my impala and loved them,they wore out a little fast in my opinion but the traction and handling was great.

#3 · (Edited)
Most of the comments on this forum about the stock GY Eagle LS2 tires, including mine, say they're junk.

Mine would do only okay when dry and convert to dangerous when the roads were anything other than dry. I've driven many years and they were the worst tires I've ever had, bar none, including the slicks I used to run on my '66 Chevy II.

To make a suggestion, there are a number of comments from other users that Michelin MXM4 do quite well. If you search the forum you'll find numerous other posts with recommendations and cautions.

#5 ·
MXM4 is better for the V6.

For the 4-cylinder, the MXV4 is a better match. Michelin does not make a bad tire as far as I'm concerned. The new Michelin Defender or the tried and true Hydroedge (which is on clearance wherever you can still find them) both offer excellent foul weather grip, as well as great dry weather ride and handling.

Continental is also a good brand of tire.

#6 ·
I will see if I can find a price and availability on the MXM4s and the Hydroedge.

I just want to further update I will only be using these in dry and rainy weather, because I have dedicated winter 17" rims/tires.

#7 ·
Then consider the Michelin Pilot Sport 2. They're not for winter and they supposedly hold like glue. I was thinking about getting them but I don't have winter tires and it snows here, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot.

So my aim is to get some MXM4's sometime this year.

#8 ·
I would get the Defenders. 90,000 mile warranty and they will ride the best. You have no need for MXM4 or MXV4 as you have a 4-cylinder sedan, unless you drive very aggressive. The defender would suit you best. IMO stay away from Continental, I don't see much good coming from them.

#9 ·
Defenders are pointless, he added to his post that he has dedicated winter tires. MXV4s would be great for the 4-cylinder, if he even wants all-season capability.

Since he said he has winter tires, I'd go with Michelin Pilot Sports.

Why don't you like Continentals? They're a great brand.

#10 ·
Defenders are not for winter, they are all seasons. They are extremely quiet and the most mileage for your $$$. Why does he need MXV4's or Pilot Sports on a 4 cylinder family car? I sell tires for a living, please explain.

Pilot sports are for fast, sport handling cars who need to grip the road at high speeds around corners. They have very low mileage guarantee (to lazy to look up right now lol).

Yes, I do like the MXV4, I have a set that came on my wife's G6. They are a nice tire but I would think he would want higher mileage for the same or less cost? Unless he drives very aggressive then yes he might want to look at the MXV4. Pilot sports are highly unnecessary for the Malibu. G8 or Camaro...sure.

As far as Continental, I see a lot of separations with their tires. The belts break in them a lot. Now, this is my own experience and I'm not hating on them, just my opinion.

#11 · (Edited)
Let me start by saying sorry if I came off overbearing. I was unaware of your experience, and a few things you said came across suspect based what I know.

I understand that defenders are all season tires, and that they are very good ones. But I was under the impression they were engineered for optimum adverse weather traction and to some extent sacrifice handling dynamics and quietness.

I checked some things out and realized the MXV4 tires are only available in the 17 inch wheel size, cross them off the list. So for the 18 inch wheels you have...

Michelin Defender - Designed for comfort and adverse conditions - 90k mile warranty.

Michelin MXM4 - Mix of performance and comfort. 55k mile warranty.

Michelin Pilot PS2 - Max performance. 30k mile warranty.

I realize I may have caused some confusion. That's my bad. My pick would be the MXM4s since the thread starter has a set of winter tires, so the 55k tread wear should be plenty. The Defenders are listed as the same price as the MXM4 V-rated tires.

#12 ·
No problem man. It does come down to a choice like you said. If he prefers a much firmer stable tire then he should choose MXM4. If he wants a more cushy ride and more mileage, he should choose Defender. It is nice having a firmer tire for a quick lane change if someone cuts you off.

#13 ·
I got rid of my LS2s at 8000 miles. Went with GoodYear TripleTreds, so far no complaints. I run TripleTreds on both of my vehicles.

#14 ·
Rocked the HydroEdges on the 07 Impala, they were a stout, good handling tire. Awesome dry traction, really shined in wet conditions, actually held their own in snow. GreenX for lower rolling resistance. IIRC they have 80K warranty. GLW your tire purchase, I have a vested interest as our '10 LTZ will be ready for new shoes this fall. Peace, John

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.