Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Parking Brake Question

51K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Chevrolet Customer Svc 
#1 ·
Hello from Toronto Canada. I am new here and picked up my 09 Malibu last week, and I just love my new baby. So question about the parking brake, is it normal to use it every time you park, or just on hills? I was told long ago that if you don’t use it, it sieges up. I always used the hand-parking brake in the past, and it’s been a long time since I had a car with a foot-parking brake; I had to read the manual on how to release it. I am a little concern if I lock it down too tight, would there be a chance the brake wouldn’t be able to release?

Thanks in advanced.

#2 ·
I don't even use the parking brake.. when on a very steep incline, you are to hold the brake, engage the emergency brake, and then shift into park to prevent it from getting locked into place.. idk what the term is..

This car's weird the way it releases too.. at least American cars.. in order to release the emergency brake you press the regular brakes and then press on the emergency brake to release it.... I spent like 40 minutes trying to figure it out the first time LOL

#3 ·
Its called parking crawl. Its not good for the transmission to roll when its off. Its best to use it anytime you are close to parking on a hill.

All you need to do to release it is push it down real fast and then release it. Kind of like a brake check.

#5 ·
The Origional W-Body cars (Lumina, GP, Regal) suffered Rear Brake Caliper failure. The cause was from not using the P-Brake. The rear calipers would seize. And had to be replaced. I am not sure how our P-Brake works. Next time I take the wheels off I'll look. Could be the Calipers or a seperate set of P-Brake shoes like on some of the GM cars, Trucks.

#6 ·
Hi, fellow torontonian :)

I use it all the time regardless of where I park. Just a habit that stuck since driving school. Maybe it is not 100% needed but I'd feel weird if I didn't put it on.

#8 ·
Does the American Brake work different than the Canadian? It seems natural to me you push it to put it on, you push in and let it out to take it off. The problem with not using the parking brake it is the cable doesn't get used and when you do use it can snap...this may be different in the newer cars but I don't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.