Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How to Disable DRL in 2009 Malibu

26K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  DrivenDaily 
#1 ·
I haven't seen this topic and it seems too easy, but just for anyone's edification, disabling daytime running lights in this car is cake easy. The patient is a 2009 LTZ with no mods at all. I followed suggestions on the Solstice forum to no avail. So a quick purusal of the HHR forum showed the most obvious solution which does work.

Simply remove Mini-relay #48 (it's labelled "DRL") to disable DRLs. Auto-headlight functionality does remain and no warning lights come on in the dash.

Removing the badging on my car was even easier as I didn't even need to heat the badges to soften the glue. Use a little windex to clean the area around the badges. To avoid a case of tennis elbow, use nail polish remover to get rid of the glue that's left over. Then, wax the whole area and it's like they were never there. Takes about 15-20 minutes, tops.

Lt. Zed

2009 Malibu LTZ
No badges, No DRLs

Boston Born, Boston Raised, Boston Driven.

#5 ·
Unless GM made major changes to the 2010+ models, pulling either the DRL fuse or relay (or both) will disable the DRLs without affecting any other systems.

For the DRLs to turn on the key needs to be on, it needs to be light enough out to keep the headlights from turning on, Auto Light On needs to be enabled (don't turn headlight switch to Cancel position), and the gear selector needs to be out of Park. It's okay to set the parking brake.

Next step after ensuring that the above conditions are all true is to lift the hood, remove the large battery cover, remove the fuse block lid, and pull the DRL fuse, relay, or both. DRLs should turn off.

If they're not on to start with then you may have another issue. Restore the car to original and take it to the dealership. If they determine that someone has altered the car then you might have no recourse. Otherwise they should be able to fix it so it's working like it was designed to. After that you can disable it, knowing that you can put it back if you decide to sell the car.

#8 ·
I checked on my '11 just to be sure. It's exactly the same as on my '09 that I had. So if the DRLs are still coming on even after pulling either the fuse or the relay or both, then either the DRLs have been rewired from factory, there's a short somewhere, it's dark enough out and the headlights are actually being energized, or you pulled the wrong components.

When I pulled fuse 46 the relay clicked, signaling that the fuse supplies power to the coil of the relay as well as to its contacts, and the DRLs turned off. When I pulled the relay (with the fuse installed) the DRLs turned off.

Check again. The way they've drawn the fuse block and the way they're numbered can be confusing.

#9 ·
Simply remove Mini-relay #48 (it's labelled "DRL") to disable DRLs. Auto-headlight functionality does remain and no warning lights come on in the dash.
So, you are saying when you pulled the DRL Fuse, the DRL's did not come on anymore, but the lights still automatically came on at night??

Boston Born, Boston Raised, Boston Driven.
Haha, I like that; me too. :cool:

#10 ·
i have the same question as tomx20 - you are saying when you pulled the DRL Fuse, the DRL's did not come on anymore, but the lights still automatically came on at night??

#11 ·
I asked around and that should be the case, but I haven't pulled the fuse myself to see because I haven't gotten my HIDs yet.

#13 ·
Sorry guys, I missed the post from before. Like chevyguy8893 says, headlights and running lights work normally when you pull either the fuse, the relay, or both. I just checked it on mine to make sure I wasn't recalling incorrectly.

#17 ·
The DRLs will not turn on at all if you pulled the DRL fuse or relay (or both). I think you mean that the LOW BEAMS will automatically turn on with fuses pulled or not.

The trouble with your ballasts might be that you need to install a relay harness that supplies battery power to the ballasts instead of relying on the teeny little wires that GM designed them with.

#20 ·
I have a 2008 Malibu LT1 with HID kits from DDMtuning.com. i pulled both the DRL fuse and Relay and the lights still stay on at all times even on the brightest sunny day. any other suggestions other than the foolish "must be a short in the wiring" or "someone must have modified the wiring".?? because neither of them are true. my family has owned my car since it was brand new.

Thank u

#21 ·
Thread closed: Duplicate HOW TO thread can be found here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.