Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Disable auto locking doors?

23K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  jeepgrady 
#1 ·
My Silverado had the auto locking feature but I was able to turn it off. I would rather not have the doors lock and unlock all the time. Is there a way to turn this feature off?

thank you!

#2 ·
You should be able to accomplish this from pressing the info and reset buttons simultaneously on the steering wheel (while in park). You can then cycle through the settings and toggle this feature off.

#4 ·
I was able to get into the setting section but I cannot turn off the autolock feature. I can toggle between unlock when in park or unlock when the key is turned off. :(

#12 ·
What do you mean? Seriously, do you believe that NOT having all the automatic conveniences keeps people from texting and talking on their phones? If anything, I'm all FOR all these additional nannies, because folks don't have the common sense to pay attention to what's happening around them. Normally I'd say let Darwin's Rule take care of em', but in this case they have a strong chance of hurting others who just might actually be trying to drive properly.

Besides, none of that stuff is really bad for you. It's safety gear for the most part (except for the auto climate control- which arguably MIGHT be, if you consider it keeps your hands off the controls and on the wheel, along with your eyes, at least if it works right). I already posted a similar reply to an anti-DRL supporter over on the GMInsideNews forums recently- believe it or not, those headlights really DO make your vehicle more visible in many situations. As I said there, I am from the eastern part of West Virginia, in the mountains. In situations where it's fairly bright outside but cars can be coming at you out of shadowed areas, your pupils tend to adjust for the bright areas, and the contrast means that the dark areas lose visibility (cars disappear in the shade). DRLs, even though they operate at less than even low beam power outputs, are clearly visible in these situations.

As far as the trucks with one eye out, I agree. But that's not for running the lights too much. More like GM not planning ahead with a design that either used much longer life bulbs or secondary lights that use less energy (and less likely to burn out). Other than my 04 Silverado, I haven't had a single vehicle burn out the DRLs (03 Trailblazer, 04 Silverado, 04 Malibu, 05 Terraza, 07 Trailblazer, 07 Avalanche, and 08 Malibu- yeah, a LOT, dangit.. gotta kick the habit).

#13 ·
I don't think it is because GM chose a short life bulb. One of the DRL lights on my 03 Tahoe burned out after 4 years the other is still going. Lights burn out and some do not last as long as they are supposed to.

As for automatic locking doors there are situations where you don't want the doors to lock. Somebody I know was driving through Canada from Michigan to New York several years ago in an Olds with the automatic locking doors. The weather was miserable with lots of snow and low visibility and he hit a patch of ice that caused the car to spin and go backwards off the road. This caused the car to get stuck in a snow mound so he unlocked the door and got out to see if he could figure a way out of the mess. Being a little shaken by the spin and stop he forgot the car was still Drive and when he closed the door it locked him out of the car. Now he was outside (without his coat which was laying on the backseat) in 20 degree temps, high winds and lots of snow. Luckily, a LEO came by and broke the drivers side back door window so he could get into the car. Without the LEO this could have been a potentially life threatening situation. With the help of a tow truck called by the LEO he got the car out of the snow mound and continued on his way.

Bill

#14 ·
Bill, Your story is somewhat of an extreme situation. Anyone who feels that they are safer overall with unlocked doors is really foolish. It's been a proven fact that having your doors locked if in a collision or just driving through the hood is much safer than not having them locked.

#17 ·
If you're willing to do a little wiring I can guide you to a solution. I own a set of wiring diagrams for the 'Bu and am using them to answer your question.

The BCM (Body Control Module) that is mounted under the right side of the center console has the terminals you'll need. There are 3 connectors, X1, X2, and X3. You'll need X3. Find 2 terminals, A4 and A5. It will probably be hard to identify them that way so try this. A4 will have 2 wires coming out of it, both gray. A5 will have 2 also, but gray/black. A4 goes to both rear lock motors and A5 goes to both front ones. Within the BCM those wires are connected together. They are energized when the BCM is told to lock the doors, but are at ground potential when at rest. If you place a switch between the BCM and the locks you'll turn off the automatic feature, but you'll also defeat being able to lock them until you turn this back on.

If you're somewhat inventive you can devise a circuit that uses a time-delay relay (see link below) that is adjustable from 1 to 90 seconds to temporarily interrupt the automatic signal but, after resetting, will allow you to lock them either manually or with the remote.

http://www.buy.com/prod/directed-528t-pulse-timer-with-spdt-relay/q/loc/111/90148468.html

I might suggest finding the shift-from-park signal that tells the BCM to lock the doors and interrupt that, instead, but I can't find that on these schematics. It's probably part of the computer data communication system, which means someone would have to hack the system, figure the code(s), and produce a plug-in module for us to use. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Another member on this forum, ChevyFreak, has posted the schematics at the following site:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2813442/Malibu Stuff/08_chevy_malibu_complete.pdf

I purchased the schematics almost a year ago and have used them successfully since then. The only difference between '08 and '09-up is the repeater turn signals on the front fenders - the '08s have them, '09 and up don't. Everything else that I've seen has been identical, right down to the wire color and component locations.

Enjoy! If you need any help send me a PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.