Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brake pedal noise

12K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Sir Real 
#1 ·
I just noticed today that my brake pedal makes a noise when it's cold out. Has anyone else noticed this? It's kind of a rubber on rubber kind of sound. It's really hard to describe. I'm thinking of taking it to the dealer, but it's only happening in the morning, so I may wait a little bit.

#2 ·
My brake pedal makes a noise too. It makes a squeaking sound when I touch the brake slowly. I took it in and they replaced the brake fluid in it. The mechanic told me they had a service bulletin on that particular problem. He also told me it might take awhile for the noise to go away. It still has a squeak. :( How long does it take to get the brake fluid to work? I may have to take it back in because it is annoying.

#3 ·
Brake fluid should have nothing to do with the brake pedal making a noise.

#6 ·
This discussion sounds familiar: http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332&referrerid=472

There's also a tsb on this:

Bulletin No.: 08-05-22-002B
Date: October 09, 2008
Subject:
Squeak Noise On Brake Apply (Remove Brake Fluid from Master Cylinder and Refill)
Models:
2004-2007 Buick Rainier
2008 Buick Enclave
2004-2008 Chevrolet Colorado, TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer EXT, TrailBlazer SS
2008 Chevrolet Malibu
2004-2008 GMC Canyon, Envoy, Envoy XL, Envoy XUV
2007-2008 GMC Acadia
2008 Pontiac G6
2007-2008 Saturn OUTLOOK
2008 Saturn AURA
2005-2008 Saab 9-7X
Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to include Colorado and Canyon vehicles. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-05-22-002A (Section 05 - Brakes).
Condition
Some customers may comment on a squeak noise when the brake pedal is applied or when released. This noise is normally heard when the brake pedal is slowly applied with the engine on or off, but can occur when the brake pedal is released. The noise may be isolated to the master cylinder area.
Correction
To correct this concern, remove as much of the old brake fluid from the master cylinder as possible and refill with a new DOT 3 brake fluid, P/N 88862806 (in Canada, use P/N 88862807). Start the vehicle and fully cycle the brake pedal until the noise diminishes to allow the new fluid to enter the system.

#7 ·
I took my car back to the dealership this morning to ask about the squeaky brake pedal again. I talked to the mechanic whom also just bought a new bu this year. He said his squeaked from the get go too.e said to actually FIX it, he would have to take the steering wheel off and pull the panel to get to the problem. He wasn't going to do that to his own car because generally you will get more squeaks and rattles when you put stuff back together. He said the squeak was annoying, but not a safety thing. He changed the brake fluid in his car also, and it continued to squeak. But after a while, he said it finally stopped. He said he now had about 8,500 miles on it. He said some of the bu's that has come in for that problem have had the squeaks go away after changing the brake fluid, and miles built up. He said he would be glad to lube/fix the things that were hitting, it was my call. He said some customers have had it fixed and some wait and see. I am going to wait and see because I have only about 2,400 miles on my bu since I bought it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.