Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gas cap light... serviced 6 times

45K views 72 replies 23 participants last post by  Chevrolet Customer Svc 
#1 ·
I have a 2009 Malibu LT and the 2.4L Eco tech engine. It has 4600 miles on it and it keeps having the same reoccurring problem beginning at a little under 2000 miles. I have now had it in the shop 6 times including dropping it off at the shop today.

This is the problem: When I fill up and let my car sit overnight the check gas light comes on after having 2-3 miles on the tank. It doesn't happen if i continue to drive it right away. When i fill up at the station the tank shows full but when i get to my car in the morning it says that it is at 7/8 tank, after driving less than 0.9 miles home from the gas station. This light only stays on for a few miles and then it clears itself. This has happened probably ten or more times. This morning like always the gas cap light came on with a little over 2 miles on the tank. Today on my way home from work not only did the check gas cap light come on so did the check engine light for the first time. The check gas cap light cleared itself but the check engine light did not and it ended up at the dealership. This mid day occurrence of the check gas cap light was only the second time it has gone off more than once in a day.

I have taken it into the dealership for now what is the 6th time (it is there right now.) And they have done the following:

Time # 1 run diagnostics and fog the system; no leaks found
Time # 2 run diagnostics and fog the system; no leaks found
Time # 3 run diagnostics and fog the system and replaced gas cap for a pinhole leak
Time # 4 drop the gas tank and readjust the lever arm
Time # 5 drop the gas tank and replace the sensor
Time # 6 ?

Every time they give it back they keep it for an extra night to check and this problem doesn't happen before they give it back. When i get it back i top it off and let it sit over night and it happens exactly the way it always does. The dealership has replicated the problem multiple times when the car is in their possession.

So now according to Nebraska law my car is technically a lemon, i have filed a complaint with the BBB and GM we are trying to work this out. So far all GM has done is offer me a free year of oil changes and tire rotation on a car that they cannot fix. The dealership has done all they can do and from the last time and here out they just have to follow the guidance from GM over the phone.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so what did they do?

See less See more
#60 ·
TSB for 2008 Malibu LT

Just had a 4-day adventure for the "Check Gas Cap" code... After much activity, including the TAN Forum for Chevy Technicians, a TSB was identified: 09-06-04-0074.

The Correction section includes mention of diagnostic code P0455. This turns out to be misleading, as a full pressure test evidenced no problems at all. The code actually clears itself from the DIC after about 5 minutes, but is retained in the system.

The fix applied was: "Remove Fuel Pump and reposition vapor line". This is probably what "MaudetheMalibu" meant by "the vent hose". The vent hose is actually rather immovable - it's the "vapor line" that can be adjusted...

Next fill-up will prove "fixed or not"...

Many thanks to Maude, by the way. Without her copious documentation, this wouldn't have been taken seriously because the Dealer couldn't reproduce the P0455 code...

#61 ·
I was at the dealership the other day getting my creeky break pedal fixed and they said they have another car with the same problem that had been in the shop several times they tried everything they did for mine and it still did not fix it, they are going to probably end up buying that one back.

#62 ·
Welp, i've got 2050 miles on my Malibu now. This morning when driving to work the "Check Gas CaP" message displayed. Five minutes later my check engine light came on. On Star called shortly after and ran a diag on the car to send to the dealership.

Hopefully it's just a bad gas cap for me. I'll have to take her in on Monday. My wife admitted to possibly capping off the gas when she last put gas in it, arrgghh!

#64 ·
I am having this same problem also. Been to the dealer 2 times now. They have a new fuel tank on order and I will let you all know after they put it in. I was told by my Dealership they are plastic tanks
and they are having problems with the tanks expanding and contracting with the change in temps.

#66 ·
August 4th 2010:

After replacing the breather pipe, and the sender and the level-sensor and STILL getting the ping-ping after three different fill-up-and-use scenarios, Chevy replaced the entire tank in July 2010.

Haven't repeated any of my usual 3 scenarios yet (local gas prices way higher than out-and-about prices) but so far so good.

Beware! I did find that although you can press the cap down and ratchet it on, there are times when you can simply pull it back off!!! Happened to me twice and I'm no weakling in pushing the cap on...

Hopefully my problem is fixed, but I've thought that before...

Sadly, California Lemon Law requires the vehicle to be repeatedly repaired for a problem that causes significant loss of use - this is just a pain and doesn't qualify for a buy-back. That said, I'd still buy another Malibu - they are that good...

2008 1LT with 41K miles - White

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.