Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

All power -No crank/No start

204K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Chevrolet Customer Svc 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey folks!

I'm not a very active member but am hoping to get some assistance or guidance here.

I have a 2010 LTZ, 4 cyl, 55k

Issue: Vehicle would not start this morning. Everything seems to power on (remote lock-unlock-trunk, radio, climate control, interior/exterior lights, etc.), and dash appears to light up as normal, but I get nothing from the engine when attempting to start. Remote start does not engage either.

This same issue happened about this same time last year. Vehicle was still under warranty at the time and was towed to the dealership. However, upon their first attempt to start it, she fired right up, of course. Diagnostics were run with no negative results shown so the problem was unknown. Vehicle was returned and has operated daily as normal ever since without a hint of an issue, until this morning. Both incidents seems to have been the first sub-freezing temps of the season. This was certainly the case last night and I am pretty sure it was the case previously.

• Things I have done in hopes to resolve:
  • Removed and cleaned battery cables
  • Removing battery cables and let sit for about 30 minutes
  • Jumping (neighbors F150)

Turning key to run position and letting sit for 10-15 minutes, then to off letting sit for 5 minutes. This I found as a "trick" related to a possible malfunctioning anti-theft system that causes similar no-start issues, however, my anti-theft light does not stay on. Just thought Id give it a try as I am at my wits ends here on this.

Not sure what other information I can provide. Really at a loss here. I am leaning towards possibly an engine/coolant temp sensor giving inaccurate readings (I'm grasping here). Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any input or assistance.
Ken

See less See more
#5 ·
This happened a couple of times on our 08 malibu LS. Both times it happened I pushed in the button on the shifter handle and kind of shook it a little and it started right up. Ours could also not be duplicated because it only happened a few times at random intervals. It's been a long time since it's happen and we have 89k on our car which we bought new. Anyway, you might give that a shot.....also I go a recall notice today saying that sometimes the car can become disengaged in park and roll away, lol, and not to contact the dealer until 'early 2013.' Wow, they must not be in any hurry to fix it.

Good luck and let us now if you figure it out!

#8 ·
Thanks for the responses all!

Still not sure what's going on here. After trying what little I could think of as described above, as well as what was offered up here, there was change. No crank/no start.

However, after letting the vehicle sit for about 3 hours without any attempts of starting or fiddling with this or that and while doing other research on the matter, I went out to try and start it and viola! Cranked right up and has every start since with no issue.

The one thing I have been doing different is parking in the garage (wife is not too happy about that of course, ha). I do plan to park it back out in the elements on the next hard cold we get, as long as its not a workday, in order to see if my theory of some sort of coolant/engine temp sensor could be an issue.

I'm really at a loss on this.

Again, thanks for the input. Stayed tuned.

#9 · (Edited)
The one thing I have been doing different is parking in the garage (wife is not too happy about that of course, ha). I do plan to park it back out in the elements on the next hard cold we get, as long as its not a workday, in order to see if my theory of some sort of coolant/engine temp sensor could be an issue.
An ECT sensor problem cannot cause a no crank. But these issues can:

#PIC5234: Intermittent No Crank No Start With No DTCs - (Sep 1, 2009)

Subject: Intermittent No Crank No Start with no DTCs

Models: 2008-2010 Chevrolet Malibu

2007-2010 Pontiac G6

2007-2010 Saturn Aura

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Condition:
Intermittent No Crank No Start.

Cause:
A customer or technician may comment on the above condition. This could be the result of any of the following:

Misadjusted or damaged transmission shift cable. Park Neutral (PN) switch installation or internal failure. Loose or broken battery ground cable to ground stud (mostly on the 3.5L engine on the ground stud on the trans) Loose or damaged cable at the B+ post at the starter.

Follow the below steps to determine the root cause and necessary repair.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Carefully inspect transmission shift cable for any signs of damage. Replace cable if any damage is found.
Check transmission shifter and cable adjustment
In an attempt to duplicate the condition try shifting from any shifter position into the park position carefully, not slamming it in park. After shifting in to park try starting vehicle. If the vehicle does not start unless you push the shifter hard in to park you will need to adjust the shift cable as described (09077A)

Check output from Park Neutral switch to ECM for proper signal. Check all terminals for loose or poor connections at Park Neutral switch and ECM. If all appear okay replace the Park Neutral switch.
Loose or damaged nut/cable at the B+ post on the starter. (PIC5100) If post is damaged the starter will need to be replaced.
Loose battery ground at the ground stud. This issue is mostly been seen on the 3.5L engine, however some cases on 4 cylinder also. Check for loose connection between terminal and stud. Check for poor crimp between the terminal end and the cable. Check for broken cable strands at the crimp which may create high resistance. Replace the ground cable if a poor crimp is found or the cable has any sign of damage. If fastener is loose tighten fastener to proper torque.
Poor terminal connection at ECM or UBEC. Remove and do a terminal inspection and lube as per TSB (08-05-22-009A)
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

#10 ·
And it happened again. Stranded at work. Has started and ran with no issues since the last time almost a year ago. The only change during that time was parking in the garage during colder weather with near freezing temps. Yesterday's weather was just that (36*) but I was not ale to avoid parking in an open lot at work as there is no covered parking.
Needless to say, I am not happy. I really wish I could figure this out.

#14 ·
Kans2010LTZ,

I am sorry to hear you are having this concern again. If you are unable to pinpoint your concern and would like for your Chevrolet dealership to look into this further, please let us know. You can private message me your name, VIN, address, phone number, and dealership.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

#16 ·
Thank you for the offer, however I had the vehicle in my local dealership two years ago when this fist happened and they were not able to reproduce the issue. The car was towed to the dealership and sat for several hours. The the temps had risen significantly (which again, the only time this is happening is when the temps are near freezing). The first time they entered the car it started immediately. Nothing had been done prior to that. Service was conducted and nothing negative found.

The three other times it has happened, prior to the current happening, the temps were low and the car parked outside. I do nothing to the vehicle but let it set until the temps get warmer and it starts just fine. From that point I simply have to be conscious about parking in the elements.

This has never happened when temps are above 40-45*.

#17 ·
Kens2010LTZ,

I know concerns that are difficult to replicate at the dealership can be frustrating. Please continue to take notes of the vehicles conditions when this occurs so the dealership can replicate the concern. We do have record of this concern for you as well. Please continue to keep us updated with your status.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.