Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Radiator fan issue

13K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Beatdown Z 
#1 ·
My radiator fans keep cutting on and off and its causing a overheating issue does any body knows what could be the issue??

#2 ·
The overheating likely is not being CAUSED by the fans but them going on and off is a symptom rather than a cause. They are not supposed to run all the time, except when the AC is on.

If you turn on the AC, do the fans run continuously ?
If so, then the fans themselves likely is NOT the problem.

There could be several causes, the most simple is a leak and low coolant level.

How do you know it is "overheating" ? Does the temp gauge get up near the RED area ??

#6 ·
I noticed that also, and took my 'Bu in (about eight years ago!) for that.

Turns out the turn on is about 210 by the PCM's computer, and the gauge ... is not really that accurate.

Unless you've added a third-party gauge, then yah, you may need to be worried.

I'd also "burp" the air out to make sure there's no air bubbles in the cooling system (that's what that little plug on the coolant crossover pipe on the 3.1L is for.)

RwP

#3 ·
Describe the problem in more detail. My [sister's] Malibu was overheating because the fans weren't coming on at all. I have HP Tuners software, so I used that to disable the Climate Control Override for the fans and now they work. I have them set kind of low in the summer to bring them on sooner for the AC, because like I said above, they can no longer be controlled by the AC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.