Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

USB Port will not work right away in Cold Weather

64K views 86 replies 33 participants last post by  nidroj 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

I have had my 2011 Malibu LT since last January. I'm over all happy with the car with the exception of a small list issues at top of which is the USB port not working first thing on a cold day. Once the interior has warmed up sufficiently and I restart the vehicle the USB port becomes responsive. I can only assume the issue has to do with a contact point contracting due to the cold but given that I need to restart the car once its warmed up before the USB port works suggest that maybe there is something else going on as well. Whose to say given the number amount of electronics involved in order to keep these vehicles running. I was also at my dealership recently for an oil change and mentioned it to the Service manager and neither he nor any of his techs had really come across the cause of the problem before (or so they say) but I know others have experienced it. Anyone have any thoughts? I can live with it for now but none of us have paid for a new vehicle just so we can "live with" any of its short comings.

Grimm.

P.S. Since I'm on the USB port, anyone have a clue why in the F' the USB port wasn't hidden in the lower portion of the centre arm rest?

#2 ·
It's in the face of the radio probably because it's cheaper than making it remote.

I haven't heard of the USB working only once it's warmed up. We have some techs on here who are here to help others. I hope they'll be able to point you in the right direction.

#3 · (Edited)
Now that you say it's temperature related, can/did you show the service manager the issue? If it's been demonstrated to happen, the radio should be replaced no questions asked. Even if it isn't demonstrated to happen, the theory of a marginal connection sounds logical. 'In the interest of customer satisfaction' is a way you can put a part in for a customer without actually seeing the issue. It's not the way it's supposed to be done, BUT customer satisfaction is important so in cases such as this, it can be done. It's between you and your dealer to work it out. You really shouldn't have to make a case to replace the radio. I'd go for what you say but I'd at least want to try to duplicate it once or twice.

As to why it's where it is. A matter of preference. I like where it is, you don't. That's why there's vanilla, chocolate, strawberry and peach ice cream.

#5 ·
Thanks for the input folks.

@Rodents, I've actually tried various permutations to try to whittle down the cause including not leaving the iPod plugged in over night etc and so on and it still has an issue first thing on cold days. Unfortunately in order to replicate it for the dealership I would need to leave it with them over night and that's something I can't do right now. Fortunately the folks at the dealership know me pretty well and believe what I've told them especially given the fact I've broken down the problem for them. I'm not sure if at this point replacing the whole unit is worth the trouble given that the USB port does work for the most part.... that's something I'll need to consider.

@greenman, I've actually considered that. Like Rodents said, the placement of the USB is a matter of preference. For me I'd like to be able to have the iPod or usb stick connected but out of site so I don't need to keep unplugging and hiding it every time I park the car.

#6 ·
I have a 2011 1LT and don't have a USB port at all (only the 3.5mm aux port on the radio). Was I supposed to have one? Considering that mine is a former rental unit, I am not sure about any of its features...

#7 ·
I've learned to plug the iPod in, keep the door open, and keep pressing unlock until you get the green battery charging thing on the iPod itself. Then start the car immediately, and it should work. It's frustrating. I know.

#10 ·
@EnvoyBu, I'll have to give that a try. Its always possible that the problem is the result of a bug in the cars computer code... being in IT I've seen the wackiest things happen due to programing bugs no matter how small... all they need is the right circumstances. But lets see if your solution works for me. Thanks.

#11 ·
Not to hijack this thread but since its somewhat related. I'm guessing the Zune HD is not compatible with the USB port on the Malibu right. I know I can use the AUX jack but it would be so much easier if the USB worked.

#14 ·
I have the exact same issue, I dont use an Ipod I have a Micro SD Card in a miniture usb adapter like you get at verizon. I can leave it in all the time and not worry about hitting it when reaching for something and breaking a usb stick off. I can switch to usb at any time with no issues except when it is very cole it thinks I have nothing in the usb port. after the car warms a bit it comes back. I'm not sure if I want them to rip out and replace my radio, for the few occasions it may happen.

#15 ·
@xrstoy1, I have read your post about your situation with your Malibu and the USB port. I can understand how frustrating this can be. If you decide that you would like to take your vehicle into the dealership please, let me know and I would be happy to set up an appointment for you.

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

#19 ·
I have a 2011 LTZ and i use a micro usb drive that I leave in the car all the time. I seem to get the same problem on the colder days (i'm in ohio and its been 20s~50s lately). In the morning (i leave around 615am) if i use my remote start, the car warms up enough most the times to get the usb drive working. If i forget to use the remote start then I the USB doesn't work due to the cold temp. Let me know if the dealer has any fixes.

#21 ·
Michelle,

I have not contacted a dealer about this issue yet, as I'm not sure what it is worth to me to have the dealer take this all apart, when 1. it doesn't bother me to much and 2. gives me another reason to replace the whole sound system to upgrade it. I will wait and see how some of the feed back on this issue and if they (the dealers) can fix the issue.

Thanks

#22 ·
Mine didn't work today, yet it started to show as charging on my iPod, but when I started the car, it wouldn't sync.

#25 ·
Mine didn't work yesterday morning... again... yet for some reason, it worked in the afternoon...?

#26 ·
I have an '11 with USB port. I have a drive plugged in continuously. When I start the car it is usually listening to the accessory satellite plugged into the phone jack, but when I switch it over to USB it works every time.

#27 ·
Well... it didn't work this morning either, but it worked in the afternoon. Weird... :rolleyes:

#29 ·
The dealership did not have a fix for it and they are going to look into they told me.

This morning it did not work again. We're at about 8 degrees, I had my car running for 2 start cycles, ipod was in the house, brought it outside, connected it and the radio said no device connected. I did the shut the car off, open the door, cycle the locks, restart the car method and it worked. It's a little frustrating and I hope they can find a fix for this very soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.