Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Baking headlight...painting inside

5K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Casper_ 
#1 ·
okay so this is the first time i am seeing aftermarket headlight for a malibu... well they are just pre baked and the lense is painted. here is the link for it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-2011-C...iter_Display:2.4L&hash=item460aa57c04&vxp=mtr

Well i have been contemplating on doing this for some time, just not entirely sure how to do it...i previously had hid light and someone wrecked into me and broke one.. and the insurance didnt cover it because it was aftermarket. but now i have bought a new hid kit and well since the lights are already going to be off i could just do it....but

Im not sure how i understand baking it an opening it but how would i paint it it i simply painted it wouldnt it flake, do i need to sand it, but if i sand it will you be able to see the scuffs?? and since only part of it will be painted will i lose reflection??

#2 ·
Wow! $230 for a pair of Euro Gen7 headlights! And you wonder why the dealers charge twice that for the stock version? Plus labor!!

Those look nice and it's all done, plus you'd have a pair spare. The scariest part of doing it yourself isn't the painting IMO but baking them to open them up, and I'm not a painter by any means!

If you look at the ebay offerings you'll see that the reflectors are not painted, just the rest of the internals are. So if you do it to yours leave the actual light-reflecting parts unpainted.

#3 ·
I was at the chevy dealership and saw a few corvettes with painted headlights. I saw a white one and was thinking about painting my headlights white. But I have no clue how it will turn out.

#6 ·
Yes! It's wonderful.

.I'm going to paint mine white this week I hope.. I'm just going to use a plastic adhesive promoter and some duplicolor paint.. I'll leave the reflector around the bulbs alone, will probably slightly tint the orange reflector with lense tint and paint everything else white.. I'm also going to do my upper and Lower grilles white.. I havent decided if I'm going to do the black accents around the fog lights..

I can't wait till you do the headlights. I might have to steal that from you if it looks good and paint mines.

This might sound like a stupid question but if the reflectors were painted white would that be bad? It wouldn't be much of a headlight then would it?

What if they were projector headlights, painting the reflectors wouldn't make a difference would it?

#5 ·
.I'm going to paint mine white this week I hope.. I'm just going to use a plastic adhesive promoter and some duplicolor paint.. I'll leave the reflector around the bulbs alone, will probably slightly tint the orange reflector with lense tint and paint everything else white.. I'm also going to do my upper and Lower grilles white.. I havent decided if I'm going to do the black accents around the fog lights..

#7 ·
As far as I understand it, painting the reflectors while using a halogen bulb will kill your light output since they are integral to producing the beam. But using projector lenses and the appropriate bulbs means you should be able paint them with little or no reduction in output since the lens takes all the light, shapes it, and projects it onto the road surface in the correct beam pattern. The reflector might add to the light output but I'm not sure at this writing.

#8 ·
I think I will find a cheap headlight on eBay and try and see the outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.