Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will aftermarket subwoofer/amp work with stock stereo?

48K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  Dilatory 
#1 ·
Ive been thinking about getting a subwoofer/amp put in my 08 LTZ and keeping my stock stereo in. I dont know too much about car audio so I thought someone on here might be able to help me. Is it doable or not? And if it is would it be a decent setup? I want a 12" Alpine Type R in the trunk. Well i hope to get some advice. Thanks in advance.

#2 · (Edited)
You can do it, I advise against it though, as far as putting any power to your mid's and highs.

If you want to just hook up a subwoofer, I know JL Audio make a "clean sweep" unit ment for vehicles where replacing the stock head unit isn't an option. You could pick one of those up (or something like it) and easily hook up a sub amp to your stock system.

#6 ·
What kind of setup did you have Silver? I'm looking to put in a Crossfire TEK 75.2 amp with a 12" Kicker sub. Do you (or anyone else) have advice as far as where to tap the line out converter, since I am keeping the stock head unit in? Thats my biggest concern right now. I have done an install before but never in a new car like mine, with all the systems of wires and circuits all over the car.
I have been reading up on all the wiring systems, and the basics of the stereo system but still have my reservations about this.
Thanks in advance!

#10 ·
Pics are never bad. Take a few minutes, too, please, and tell us what you did and how you did it. Also, did you learn something that you would do differently next time that would help someone on their project?

#11 ·
I recently installed an Infitiy Basslink in my trunk. It has speaker level inputs, so just tapped into the rear deck speakers. Don't need a remote wire when using speaker level inputs, so just had to run a wire from the battery. Ran it throught the hood release grommet, and down the door sill trim to the trunk. Ground wire runs to the ground stud behind the taillights.

Sounds great. I wasn't looking for ear splitting bass though. I have the gain turned down about halfway. Just wanted to fill in the gap in the factory system. The factory system as a whole isn't that great, but good enought that I don't want to invest in a whole new system anytime soon. If this car stays aroud long enough I'll upgrade everything and go with in-dash Nav.

#12 ·
Hello,

With my new 2010 Malibu, I really love the look and feel of the OEM headunit and I am not going to replace it. It does what I want it too do. (CD/XM/Aux Input) I do want to install my Fosgate Punch 12"s and 301M amps in the trunk.

I have been looking into the Rockford Fosgate 3SIXTY.1 or the 3SIXTY.2 (newer model). I have also been looking into the JL Audio Cleansweep system. It is less expensive but I think it will do just as good of a job.

Does anybody have any experience with these devices?

From what I understand, these devices help to "sum" the signal (balance/flatten) coming out of OEM HU, which means a better signal to the amplifiers. They also provide the correct outputs from HU to amps, since the HU doesn't have seperate sub controlls.

Thats all I know about it now.

#13 ·
#14 ·
Thank you Screechymon! I have reviewed the JL website for the information before, but this is my first foray into this type of tech. I have normally upgraded the HU, like you, but this time, I think I perfer the OEM HU. I like the style and it does what I need it to do, so far. Plus, from a security point of view, I like the idea of the car looking stock. Keeps the would-be theives honest for a bit, I think, till they figure out what I have in the trunk etc..

#19 ·
Hi i am atul a new member from india, just a year bak purchased chevy cruz ltz ..........was happy with the instock stereo but unhappy with instock speakers.............i then added up line converter and Chicago 5 channel equilizer to that i added to amps pioneer 944 (for 2 woofers 1000 watts each) and
Pioneer GM-X642 (for the pioneer component speakers 250w) and (pioneer oval speakers 460watts )............having this done audio sounded the best ..................but a peculiar problem started along with installation ........when the volume is set to zero ...........the noise of the accelerator and some added noise from all the speakes ..........even sounds of right and left indicator cut out voice is heard from the speakers ................all these iadded souds seem to be so dam irritating that just dont know what has gone wrong in the installation.........any suggestions pl , what should i do:confused::confused::confused:

#20 ·
Greencats without being there in person to hear the sound and minimal frame of reference that really sounds like a grounding issue. I would strongly recommend starting by doing the Big 3 Wiring Upgrade > Double checking all Amplifier Grounds > Grounding the RCA Wires directly.

If you need to know what the big 3 is you can google it but using 4 gauge or thicker cable:

Alternator to Batt Pos
Engine Block to Batt Neg
Frame to Batt Neg

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.