Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strange Noise at WOT? Rattling/Rustling/Static Noise?

10K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  EnvoyBu 
#1 ·
Yet another problem with this crap car. Today when I was passing a car, when it reached WOT, a strange noise started to come out of the engine bay, almost like rustling of leaves. Interesting enough, it only happens at WOT and only at certain times. I shot a video, but it's somewhat hard to hear...

http://s1069.photobucket.com/albums/u475/Envoy4Life/?action=view&current=007.mp4

Can't wait to get rid of this POS...

#2 ·
Re: Strange Noise at WOT? Rustling Leaves Sound?

Also interesting...

The engine note of the car seems to have changed from a video I shot a few months back of a kickdown from around the same speed. Does it have anything to do with it?

#4 ·
Do you think that the C.C. could be the root cause of the problems I was mentioning in the earlier thread I posted about the increased noise at 2,800 R.P.M.?

Also, does it sound like a C.C. breaking up?

#5 ·
Just thought I'd mention the cats do break up on these occaisionally. I didn't really hear that much on the video, through laptop speakers. Jack up the front of the car and take a rubber mallet and tap the converters, if they rattle, they're bad. Covered 8 years/80K. Seemed like it revved normal, performance didn't drop off with the new noise did it? There's nothing in the bottom of the air box is there? Squirrels aren't making the airbox a storage bin or something? Muffler baffles loose? Just a few things to check quick.

#6 ·
I can't hear anything either from that video. It's not detonating is it? I saw on your old video you said you were using 87 octane instead of 89 that you said they recommended.

#7 · (Edited)
They recommend 89, and I know 89 was used for both videos. I've only ran 87 in the car once, and that was only two gallons worth. Should I take it in and show it to a tech?

If you can't seem to hear it, it's around 0:13 to 0:16 in the video. It's noticeable in the video, but you just have to listen for it.

#8 ·
If you can't seem to hear it, it's around 0:13 to 0:16 in the video.
I listened to both videos again on the home PC. Sorry dude, still don't hear it. I suppose you could take it and take a tech for a ride, maybe they'll bring a scan tool and watch the data, probably won't, but maybe pigs will fly by on your way to the dealer, look for omens. Sorry you're not happy with the car. I think if you got it to a decent dealership, you'd make out better. Blowing people off seems par for the course though anymore unfortunately. You're not exactly around the corner or I'd like to go for a ride and hear it and see the downshift problem for myself.

#11 ·
I think Rodents, greenman, and ChevyGuy8893 would also disagree!

#13 ·
No prob, man! I was just adding the voice of balance. We all get grumpy now and then. But it still seems like so often the first words out of their mouths are "Can't duplicate" or "Not covered" or "Never heard of that". Kind of defeats the title of the "service" department, eh? Maybe it should be changed to something more appropriate for any dealership that qualifies (not all are like this), like "dealership lazy department" or "dealership profit center".

This only applies to those places who really don't provide service but instead just give you the lip service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.