Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

electric control module or rack and pinion issue

13K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  greenman 
#1 ·
Hey tried reading thru the 38 pages of steering issues on the seperate thread but I wanted see how to diagnose the difference between a control module issue vs. a rack and pinion issue. for me we had already replaced the clunking steering column but now have inconsistant power steering. Turn to the left and it seems OK turn to the right and it is stiff. no vibrating steering wheel, no dash light on. Car sometimes wanders to the left. I am thinking to replace the steering module but at $440 for the part that can't be returned(electrical) I want a little reassurance. Does anyone have any other diagnostic tips. Thank you in advance for any replys.

#4 ·
I talked with my local dealer and they are going to look at it. They think they can get it covered under the "warranty". The vehicle was recently aligned, along with a new control, new steering column, new tires, etc. I was not aware of the torque steer needing to be reset...I will mention that to the deakler as well. In have never heard of that before. Is that something that is required because of the elcetric steering?

#5 · (Edited)
"new control"? Does that mean new control arm?

Did they replace the steering column or the ISS (intermediate steering shaft)?

There are two recalibrations (for the steering position sensor & the torque sensor) for EPS but which need doing depends on what was replaced. If the work was done at a dealer I suspect the recal was done (though that certainly isn't a given).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.