Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Replace rear brakes same time as front or not?

11K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  RugerRedhawk 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, I've never owned a car with disc brakes on the rear, just drums usually. So whenever I've felt warped rotors, I would replace the front pads/rotors. Now with my malibu (08 classic 3.5L) I can feel an obviously warped rotor. How do I know whether to change both front and rear, just front, or just rear? This might be an simple question, but as I've said I'm not familiar with having disc brakes on the rear, so thanks for your help.

edit: Another confusion for me, when looking for rotors for this, every part store lists two different diameter rotors for the front, 11-21/32" or 10 7/8".... which is correct/better/preferred? Napa, advance, and rockauto all show both size options, while autozone.com says that 11.6 is the only size for my car. I'd prefer not have to take my wheel off to measure the rotor just to buy them, so if you have any insight please share.

#3 ·
16" tires on it. I guess when I go to the store they might have more info as to which one is correct. I've never run into anything like this though where they give me two completely different parts for my vehicle. I'd rather buy them ahead of time than have to take the wheel off to measure if possible.

#7 ·
You could just call the parts department at your dealer and give them your VIN #, they should be able to tell you what size, then just buy the correct disc.

Also, the same conventional rules apply here, the front does most of the braking, so you're rears should be fine. Most likely, the warped rotor is in the front.

#8 ·
If you have spoked wheels you should be able to see the rotor and measure it that way. Those two sizes are different enough that you should be able to tell.

I'm still trying to figure out why you buy new rotors just because they are "warped". Seems just turning the rotors would fix the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.