Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

09 malibu drivers side headlight went out

37K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  Cizzle714 
#1 ·
well the headlight on my wifes malibu went out, i will be attempting the replacement myself. any links to what i should buy to replace them and the wiring harness? maybe a guide also?

thanks

p.s. this is waaaayyyyy to much trouble for a headlight replacement :mad:

#2 ·
Here is the link E&G provides for installing their grills, but you will just be going in a different direction with it. http://egclassicsinc.com/inventory/uploads/15772008ChevroletMalibuMeshGrille.pdf

Once you get into it, it really isn't all that hard to do. As for bulbs you can stick with factory, go with HID's (which may not be good for your case since you have a burnt out light now and have to order them), or go with a different bulb from sylvania or phillips for example. The low beam bulb is an H11 bulb, and a decent direct replacement bulb would probably be sylvania silverstars. They last a good amount of time and are a little brighter than stock.

#3 ·
Screw that man, if your still under warranty and haven't done these headlights yourself, go to the dealership and have them do it for free.

Its a ridiculous process involving the removal of the wheel well, front bumper, and headlight assembly. VERY difficult for a simple headlight. Easier once you've done it a few times, but still very hard.

Use the heck out of your warranty, Chevy should have to pay for every headlight that goes out that quickly because of the complexity of fixing it.

#5 ·
been busy the last couple of days and haven't changed the bulb out. i plan to do both bulbs at the same time :D. a friend of my wifes family is a gm tech and said there is a problem with these cars and headlamps going out. this is relayed info through my wife, and he said something about the wiring being a cause. i'm assuming he meant the headlight harness. he doesn't have much time to work on "side jobs" so i'll have to do this myself.

#6 ·
and he said something about the wiring being a cause. i'm assuming he meant the headlight harness.
I encourage you to be very careful with that "information".
I think it's the first we have heard about anything like that on here.

Only three things will make a bulb burn out prematurely:
Bad bulb
Higher than normal voltage
Excessive vibration.

The wiring harness IS NOT THE CAUSE of any of those things.

I assume that you are out of your BTB warranty ??

#7 ·
Maybe this will shed some light on the issue. Keep in mind that under warranty, only the malfunctioning side is fixed unless it's directly called out in the bulletin to do both sides.

Another tidbit of information which really applies to all models with wedge type bases, tail/stop/turn bulbs like 3057,3157, 3056, 3156, you get the idea I hope. These bulbs generate a fair amount of heat in them and sometimes people replace bulb after bulb thinking they have bad bulbs when really they have a bad socket. If you have the four ways on and the parking lights while you're checking the affected bulb for lets say stop/turn bulbs, take the socket out of the lamp and wiggle the bulb a little side to side, pull on it like you're pulling it out just a little then push it back in. If you notice the bulb working, then not working, you most likely have a bad socket.
Keep in mind the bulb will get hot fast and you can easily burn your fingers so use appropriate care. The socket overheats and the terminals spread a little and the connection in the socket is poor. Replace the affected socket and bulb and whae you replace the socket use a little, a dab 'll do ya of silicone dielectric grease on the base of the new bulb before you put it in. This helps to dissipate the heat some and will lead to longer socket life. Just a little FYI.

Here's the headlamp bulletin.
#10-08-42-001B: Low Beam Headlamp Bulb Diagnosis/Replacement (Inspect Bulb and Connector) - (Jan 24, 2011)

Subject: Low Beam Headlamp Bulb Diagnosis/Replacement (Inspect Bulb and Connector)

Models: 2008-2011 Buick Enclave

2007-2011 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2008-2011 Cadillac CTS, CTS-V

2010-2011 Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon, SRX

2007-2011 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2008-2011 Chevrolet Malibu

2009-2011 Chevrolet Traverse

2010-2011 Chevrolet Equinox

2007-2011 GMC Acadia, Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL

2010-2011 GMC Terrain

2006-2010 Pontiac G6

2007-2010 Saturn AURA, OUTLOOK

Attention: This bulletin DOES NOT apply to vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) lamps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to update the part number for the recommended splice sleeve. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 10-08-42-001A (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition
Some customers may comment that the low beam headlamp is inoperative.

Correction
DO NOT replace the entire headlamp assembly for this condition.

Replace the bulb and inspect the connector following the procedure below.

Remove the headlamp bulb. Refer to Headlamp Bulb Replacement procedure in SI.
Inspect the connector.
• If the connector is NOT discolored or damaged, replace the bulb only. For bulb part numbers, see Headlamp Bulb (Low Beam) in Group 02.727 of the appropriate Parts Catalog.

• If the connector is discolored at the bulb interface, replace the connector (service pigtail listed below) and bulb.

Important: Use only Duraseal splice sleeves (salmon, P/N 19168446). Other splice sleeves may not protect the splice from moisture or provide a good electrical connection. Refer to Splicing Copper Wire Using Splice Sleeves in SI for splicing procedures.

1. Cut the wires of the connector approximately 45 mm (1¾ in) from the connector and splice in the service pigtail connector. Ensure that the splices are not above the connector when re-installing.

2. Replace the bulb.

Verify that the headlamp is fully functional.
Parts Information
Usage
Part Number
Description

CTS, SRX, Malibu, AURA, G6, Full-Size Trucks, Acadia, Enclave, Traverse, OUTLOOK
Cable (Connector) Assembly, Headlamp (Service Pigtail)

Equinox/Terrain
Connector Assembly, Headlamp Wiring Harness

OUTLOOK
Harness Assembly, Headlamp Wiring

#8 ·
This is informational and applies to previous generation Malibu but maybe someone will stumble across it or someone that knows how can put it where it can be found easier.

#06-08-42-004C: Front Park/Turn/DRL or Rear Stop/Turn/Tail Lamp Inoperative (Replace Bulb and Inspect Socket) - (Aug 28, 2007)

Subject: Front Park/Turn/DRL or Rear Stop/Turn/Tail Lamp Inoperative (Replace Bulb and Inspect Socket)

Models: 2004-2006 Chevrolet Malibu, Malibu Maxx

This bulletin is being revised with updated information about splicing wires together on one of the replacement bulb sockets. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-08-42-004B (Section 08 - Body & Accessories).

Condition
Some customers may comment that the front park/turn/DRL or rear stop/turn/tail lamp is inoperative.

Correction
DO NOT REPLACE THE HEADLAMP OR TAIL LAMP ASSEMBLY.

Replace the bulb and inspect the socket. If the socket is discolored, replace the socket following the procedures below.

Front Park/Turn/DRL Lamp
Remove the lamp assembly, then remove the bulb. Refer to Headlamp Assembly or Headlamp Bulb and/or Cornering, Sidemarker, Park, Turn Signal Bulb Replacement in SI.
Inspect the socket.
• If the socket is NOT discolored or damaged, replace the bulb only with Osram 3157 LCP bulb, P/N 13502322.

• If the socket is discolored at the bulb interface, replace the socket and bulb.

Important: Use only Duraseal splice sleeves (salmon, P/N 12089189). Other splice sleeves may not protect the splice from moisture or provide a good electrical connection. Refer to Splicing Copper Wire Using Splice Sleeves in SI for splicing procedures.

1. Cut the wires of the park/turn/DRL socket approximately 45 mm (1-¾ in) from the socket and splice in the replacement socket, P/N 15945363. Twist the two black wires from the vehicles' wiring harness together and splice them with the single black wire on the replacement bulb socket. Ensure that the splice is not above the socket when re-installing.

2. Replace the bulb with Osram 3157 LCP bulb, P/N 13502322.

Verify that the front park/turn/DRL lamp is fully functional.
Rear Stop/Turn/Tail Lamp
Remove the lamp assembly, then remove the lower bulb (stop/turn/tail). Refer to Tail Lamp Assembly and/or Backup, Sidemarker, Stop, Turn Signal Bulb Replacement in SI.
Inspect the socket.
• If the socket is NOT discolored or damaged, replace the bulb only with Osram 3057 LCP bulb, P/N 15883346.

• If the socket is discolored at the bulb interface, replace the socket and bulb.

Important: Use only Duraseal splice sleeves (salmon, P/N 12089189). Other splice sleeves may not protect the splice from moisture or provide a good electrical connection. Refer to Splicing Copper Wire Using Splice Sleeves in SI for splicing procedures.

1. Cut the wires of the stop/turn/tail socket approximately 45 mm (1-¾ in) from the socket and splice in the replacement socket (P/N 15873724 for Malibu sedans or P/N 15873725 for Malibu Maxx vehicles).

2. Replace the bulb with Osram 3057 LCP bulb, P/N 15883346.

Remove the upper bulb (auxiliary tail lamp), if needed, and inspect the auxiliary tail lamp socket for discoloration. If the auxiliary tail lamp socket has discoloration, install new socket, P/N 15876348.
Verify that the rear stop/turn/tail lamp is fully functional.
Parts Information
Part Number
Description

Osram 3057 LCP Bulb

Osram 3157 LCP Bulb

Socket Asm - Front Park & T/Sig Lp

Socket Asm - Stop & T/Lp (Malibu Sedan)

Socket Asm - Stop & T/Lp (Malibu Maxx)

Socket Asm - T/Lp

Important: A full rear harness with both new sockets is available for collision repair. Refer to the Parts Catalog for new part number usage and availability.

#12 ·
This is getting to be rediculous! My low beam headlight on the passenger side is out and my 3rd brake light is on when not being used. My battery died a month ago and locked me in the car. Chevrolet you are really letting me down!!! I have a 2009 Malibu LTZ it is a beautiful car but starting to be a thorn in my side.

#15 ·
The brake light issue is addressed in a post in this very sub-forum.

Your car cannot lock you in, you can pull up on the lock and let yourself out.

It's almost 2013 accounting for the fact that your car was likely assembled in 2008 and your battery before that even your battery is probably pushing 4-5 years old, probably time for a new one, factory batteries rarely last longer than 5 years.

Headlight bulbs are a maintenance item. Again, 3-4 year old bulbs, time for new ones.

Only one of these is abnormal and out of specs but a fix has already been found and it's a matter of reseating connectors and possibly a little dielectric grease. No need to cry wolf.

#13 ·
Pulling the front bumper off on the malibu is quite easy. I can have it off in less than ten minutes. And it can be done on the ground. A bunch of push pins and some 10mm boltd and 7mm bolts. You dont have to remove the wheel house liner just the push pins that hold the liner to the bumper. I havent seen a bad connector on the malibu yet but have seen them on the saturn outlook. Bulbs do burn out they arent made to last like they use to... I had a 90 cadillac with over 140k on it still the original bulbs (i sold it in 08).

#14 ·
I’m sorry to read about your frustrations with your Malibu, ElderNurse.

The low beam head light is a maintenance item.

Under normal circumstances your concerns with the brake light would be covered under the Bumper to Bumper limited warranty. If you would like me to research the warranty information for your vehicle please, send me a private message with the VIN.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

#16 ·
The low beam headlight under normal circumstances would be maintenance issue, but after buying the replacement bulb the old bulb started working again and after that it was on and off. It ended up being the wiring harness. This is repaired now. The battery was understandable and replaced promptly. I was locked in the car because there has been a issue with the door hanging and pulling up on it on the driver's side front did not release the lock. All is well after all I love it and even roses have thorns but we try not to get pricked by them while enjoying their beauty. Eldernurse aka Little Red Riding Hood

#17 ·
Well, at least you have a sense of humor about it xD

Glad you got everything worked out, nothing is without its kinks. For all the flack people give GM I really think they get most things more or less right, just have to rub your car the right way sometimes.

With that said, the bumper design IS a bit goofy but, once you do one side, the other side and repeated removals really aren't that difficult. Did one side in about 40 minutes the first time I attempted it and can do each side in 15-20 now. It's something that has to be dealt with every few years but ultimately it's not a deal breaker.

#18 ·
I have an 09 Malibu and like I see on here the driver side bulb keeps going out. When I opened it up again, I noticed the socket that the bulb plugged into was melted on one side. I went to Autozone and purchased a replacement socket. The factory socket had 3 wires (1, yellow, and 2 black). The replacement socket from Autozone only as 2 black wires coming from it... How do I wire this socket up?

#19 ·
The 2 black wires on the factory socket are spliced together inside the socket.

When you cut off the old socket splice the 2 black wires along with one of the wires from the new socket together. Splice the yellow wire to the other wire from the new socket. FYI the black wires are ground and the yellow wire is the switched 12 V.

Make sure your electrical splices are mechanically solid, solder them if possible. Also make sure the splices are weatherproofed. If you don't you will be doing this again sooner than you want to.

For maximum bulb life do not touch the glass portion of the bulb with your bare hands, use a clean rag or paper towel. Some dielectric grease on the bulbs contacts is not a bad idea either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.